All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
motorhead45102

Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done Empty
PostSubject: Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done   Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done Icon_minitimeMay 6th 2010, 5:40 am

I would like to know, which sleeve is better steel or cast iron sleeve? and WERE COULD I POSSIBLY HAVE A SLEEVE PUT INTO ONE OF MY ENGINES
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done   Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done Icon_minitimeMay 6th 2010, 11:09 am

Im not sure it's possible to have one put in? If it is, I see it costly alot of $$$$'s. Just look out for an I/C engine, seems easier to me lol!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done   Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done Icon_minitimeMay 6th 2010, 9:28 pm

well i ordered a 5hp briggs block off of ebay, and the only thing that wasn't described was what kind of bore it had, i have an i/c block but its broke and idk anyone who knows how to weld that kind of metal the block is made out of, aluminum. but when i get it, im going to put all my I/C parts into it so it will still be a beefed up 5hp briggs. but i also have this idea, and idk if any briggs lover will like this, but, IM putting a carburetor off of my grandpa's Tecumseh engine, but this carb actually worked really well, and it fits a briggs too, i already test fitted it on one of my briggs engines. but i like this carb cause, its float feed, and not diaphram pump feed with a bolt on gas tank, those absolutely suck, that is the one thing i hate about briggs, is the carb to tank style, float feeds to me are nicer to work on, cause you don't have a dumb gas tank in the way.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done   Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done Icon_minitimeMay 7th 2010, 3:23 am

Kinda agree there. I dislike the carbs with the tank under them, although they do work pretty well.
Should be interesting to see how this works out. Be interesting to see if the Teccy carb stays working too Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done   Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done Icon_minitimeMay 7th 2010, 8:31 am

I don't think you could re-sleeve one... I'd hold out for an I/C, but really, there is no real difference in performance, they just last longer then the aluminum sleeved ones. Make sure your carb has the right size jet, if you run it too lean for a long time you'll kill it. To rich, and your cleaning your spark plug everytime you ride it.
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done   Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2010, 2:07 am

well when i get the block im going to see what condition the bore is and if its pretty good for a 90's model ill use it, mean i don't even use my go kart much at all., also the aluminum bores arnt sleeved they are plated, or hardend to withstand a fast hot round thing with sharp rings.( piston - for any newbees)

but i heard you can resleeve one, you have to have it bored exactly as the sleeve or a hair smaller, heat it up to like idk some one said 600' F and then press it in, but mostly cast iron sleeves are made to the engine when they do the casting. But i really wish i can get that briggs formula engine, 7,000rpm around 15-20hp or may be more, idk, but its costly new, 1,000 bucks, or around 500-600 on ebay.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done   Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2010, 2:49 am

I bot a tractor once that had supposedly been re sleeved ( PO owner never told me- the guy that bot the mower from me with that motor - swapped it to another tractor- told me after he took it to a mower shop after it started burning oil like no tommorrow).

All in all, depends how much you think a engine is worth and how much you want to spend on it- me i just look for another parts tractor that has a running motor.

On my mild mod MTD i used a 16HP tecumseh carb that actually fit ( with minor alteration to the mounting holes ) on my 14.5HP briggs - only problem was the gas would go in, but not into the motor - so i searched around for another briggs carb to fit.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done   Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steel or cast iron sleeve and where can i get that done
Page 1 of 1