All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Murray Rear Engine Tractor

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

Murray Rear Engine Tractor Empty
PostSubject: Murray Rear Engine Tractor   Murray Rear Engine Tractor Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2012, 9:29 pm

Well i have this old murray rear engine tractor i got along time ago it had a 3.5 hp briggs with a foote 3spd gearbox. has solid front tires and tiny backs lol.

I brought it u today and started working on it. I have an 11hp brigs that is going on it leaving the gearbox adding electric start. and a pully swap. Front and rear tires will be swaped out for a set of wheels&tires off a small kids atv. I think it will be a neat lil rig.

The motor to my surprise bolted right on with out drilling new holes. so engine is mounted i got to fint a pully for engine and one for the gearbox.

Does anyone know till up to what speed this gearbox will hold up till? 30mph is good enough if it will hold it?

Pics soon
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Murray Rear Engine Tractor   Murray Rear Engine Tractor Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2012, 9:34 pm

yeah they are pretty sweet i had one but the motor was seized in it and the tranny had a huge crack in it. my plans were to make it into a racer bc all the weight is in the bac for traction and you have good stearing in the front solid front axle and all there pretty much built for raceing but deadly lol.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Murray Rear Engine Tractor   Murray Rear Engine Tractor Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2012, 9:52 pm

yea its just something to speed around the yard with lol i havnt decided yet if i want to try and put the atv axle in it or keep the stock and weld it. And hopeing with th little wider tires will give me a little better handleing lol
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Murray Rear Engine Tractor   Murray Rear Engine Tractor Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2012, 9:57 pm

yah there just dangerous just dont run into thing and get the steering wheel in the gut lol
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Murray Rear Engine Tractor   Murray Rear Engine Tractor Icon_minitimeMarch 30th 2012, 10:03 pm

yea i know i relized that lol i just have to check to see if its going to wheelie alot lol if so then ill have to make small wheelie bars
Back to top Go down
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Murray Rear Engine Tractor   Murray Rear Engine Tractor Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2012, 5:56 pm

yeah if you can get good tourq your pull huge weelies. i was just thinking for fun make a roll cage lol
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Murray Rear Engine Tractor   Murray Rear Engine Tractor Icon_minitimeMarch 31st 2012, 9:10 pm

Well no work on it today but got some pics. More to come.

Pulling it up to shop end of winter.
Murray Rear Engine Tractor Mini-2

This is how it is now just engine sitting on it with 2 bolts holding it.
Murray Rear Engine Tractor Minimurray1

I like how my fenders still fit with out any cutting Very Happy
Murray Rear Engine Tractor Minimurray

I still need to pull gear box apart add more grease then bolt it back on. Change pully on it and get one for engine need a belt and a chain. sork with the clutch set up a little bit then decide what i want to do with rear axle. Then mod the steering& front and tires and wheels lol
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Murray Rear Engine Tractor   Murray Rear Engine Tractor Icon_minitimeApril 1st 2012, 6:45 pm

I had two Craftsman (Murry) RER's. I parted one last week. So far it has donated an axle key to get my LT1000 up and running. It also looks like it may donate some springs to fix the engagement cable on the LT1000 I mow with.

I've got a 3 speed spicer in the garage I may be willing to part with. A shame you're not close, I also have a 5HP Tecumseh motor from the same tractor.

The other one, I'll probably fix up with some spare parts and sell.
Back to top Go down
http://buckeyejeeps.com
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Murray Rear Engine Tractor   Murray Rear Engine Tractor Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2012, 10:48 pm

Update kinda lol. Well i havnt been really working on this do to i have my main project craftsman and getting my sisters tractor going. But some things have changed on this. The 11hp i was going to use i decided not to use it i got another engine on trade and i decided im going to use that.
It's a 16 hp B&S twin Twisted Evil i think that will be good enough for it lol. Pics soon. Still have to drill new mounting holes/ split gear bog and re greese it and do a pulley swap.Get a new chain/switch all 4 tires. bolt seat on cut fenders and run a battery and ignition.
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Murray Rear Engine Tractor   Murray Rear Engine Tractor Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2012, 7:38 am

gearheadmike wrote:
Update kinda lol. Well i havnt been really working on this do to i have my main project craftsman and getting my sisters tractor going. But some things have changed on this. The 11hp i was going to use i decided not to use it i got another engine on trade and i decided im going to use that.
It's a 16 hp B&S twin Twisted Evil i think that will be good enough for it lol. Pics soon. Still have to drill new mounting holes/ split gear bog and re greese it and do a pulley swap.Get a new chain/switch all 4 tires. bolt seat on cut fenders and run a battery and ignition.

Was the 11HP a Tecumseh? IIRC, they were 13HP motors that rebadged rather than retool the factory to make 11 HP motors.

I'm considering doing a racer/go kart with my other Craftsman RER. I hope to work on it this weekend.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Murray Rear Engine Tractor   Murray Rear Engine Tractor Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2012, 11:27 am

no it was just a regular B&S 11hp
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Murray Rear Engine Tractor   Murray Rear Engine Tractor Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2012, 7:36 pm

Heres some pics will get to it someday soon lol

Murray Rear Engine Tractor Minimonster2

Murray Rear Engine Tractor Minimonster
Back to top Go down
dagr8tim
dagr8tim

PostSubject: Re: Murray Rear Engine Tractor   Murray Rear Engine Tractor Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2012, 7:50 pm

That's hot. What are you going to use for wheelie bars? I know my Craftsman (murray) with a 10 HP motor will pull the front wheels off the ground with very little effort.

I'm assuming you are going to upsize the tires? The rear's on my RER are the same size as the front tires on my LT1000's.
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Murray Rear Engine Tractor   Murray Rear Engine Tractor Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2012, 8:21 pm

im thinking of building a bracket with 2 push mower wheels or i got 2 small air filled ones. I picked up a kits gas powered atv with 4 hood wheels&tires ing going to swap all 4 on it and maybe the whole steering/front suspension of it on there too
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Murray Rear Engine Tractor   Murray Rear Engine Tractor Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2012, 8:23 pm

That's gonna be a monster
Back to top Go down
gearheadmike
gearheadmike

PostSubject: Re: Murray Rear Engine Tractor   Murray Rear Engine Tractor Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2012, 9:09 pm

Thats the idea lol.

Does anyone know about how fast the Foote 3spd gear box's are good for with out hurting them? its the pully to chain type gearbox id like to do a 6'' pulley on engine and 3-4'' on gearbox. Its going to be used mostly for stright aways lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Murray Rear Engine Tractor   Murray Rear Engine Tractor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Murray Rear Engine Tractor
Page 1 of 1