All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Briggs 5hp block

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
motorhead45102

Briggs 5hp block Empty
PostSubject: Briggs 5hp block   Briggs 5hp block Icon_minitimeMay 8th 2010, 10:53 pm

well i ordered a block off of ebay, for 10.99 it was 20 bucks but i made an offer and the person took it. The engine is actually really old, but in really good condition for its age. by the code date it is built in 1970, it uses points and condenser, but can be easily be converted to electronic magneto. My 5hp i/c engine all the parts should be exactly the same, maybe slight variation in crankshaft length that the block uses but by looking at the parts diagram its pretty much the same engine, just different years. But sometime, maybe tomarrow im going to check the cylinder bore sizes just to be sure they are exact. I will try to get some pictures on here, idk, maybe in a few min. or even a day. i really wish my 5hp i/c block wasn't broke or i wouldn't of bought this block. I really wish i could have a cast iron sleeve put in, but idk where i could get it done. I would like to build this engine up but, i may just leave here original and build up a bigger engine, like the briggs formula but its already built up. but its 1,000 bucks for the **********.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

Briggs 5hp block Empty
PostSubject: Re: Briggs 5hp block   Briggs 5hp block Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2010, 12:07 am

also how good would having the block crank surfaces bored out to press in needle bearings for the crankshaft, and cam shaft, would it last longer? less engine drag? and less noise? idk but i would like to do that to my engine block, is put bearings in the spinning surfaces and a castiron sleeve and, dual valve springs, billet rod, comp cams racing cam, billet lifters, but thats all i want to do, but i would like to just put in bearings and a sleeve and it should last a long time.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Briggs 5hp block Empty
PostSubject: Re: Briggs 5hp block   Briggs 5hp block Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2010, 4:21 am

The needle bearing would make it such a great motor! Would definatly last longer
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Briggs 5hp block Empty
PostSubject: Re: Briggs 5hp block   Briggs 5hp block Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2010, 6:57 am

Be prepared to spend alot of money - is it worth it? Longevity is based on a couple things - oil and abuse- keep the oil changed regular and at a proper level, and if its constantly over revved then it wont last long- theyre designed for 3000 RPMs only.

If you do add all those goodies, invest in a billet flywheel- over revving a stock cast flywheel will eventually made it explode- i herd theyre around $500- but worth it over loosing body parts.

I read somewhere this guy was selling a highly modifed pulling tractor that still had a stock flywheel- flywheel exploded, tore away part of the steel chassis, the guys leg and flew several hundred feet and lodged into a steel beam in a barn.

I still have a 1970 5HP briggs on my toro that runs great - i abused the tractor quite a bit for a while going mudding and still runs good- thats almost a 40 year old motor.....stock.

Youd be better off putting those go fast goodies in a bigger OHV motor- or buy a pre modifed racing go kart motor.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

Briggs 5hp block Empty
PostSubject: Re: Briggs 5hp block   Briggs 5hp block Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2010, 8:58 am

You should also put a smaller jet in it and run methanol. That and mill the head down a little, and hang on!
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
motorhead45102

Briggs 5hp block Empty
PostSubject: Re: Briggs 5hp block   Briggs 5hp block Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2010, 9:50 am

yeah, i guess it be ok, because one, i hardly use my kart, and it goes about 45mph stock, so idk if i really want to go faster right now, cause the wheels are so not balanced and it starts to get nuts at 45 -50, but idk how my i/c engine is put together if it has bearings or not, i know it has a forged crankshaft instead of a cast, but i would like to do the needle bearings atleast just for little to no wear on my good parts, mean my i/c engine is a 90's model, but it was never really used, the cylinder has its cross hatch pattern still, but the block broke were the carb goes. and the flywheel is a castiron flywheel, so its heavy weight
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

Briggs 5hp block Empty
PostSubject: Re: Briggs 5hp block   Briggs 5hp block Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2010, 1:09 pm

Well you could gear it down a little bit, so it has the same top speed, but it would get there a hell of alot quicker though Twisted Evil It would eaisly blow donuts on pavement, that would be sick!
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
motorhead45102

Briggs 5hp block Empty
PostSubject: Re: Briggs 5hp block   Briggs 5hp block Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2010, 5:30 pm

well actually, i was thinking, i could switch all the parts to the other block but buy a new motor for my go kart. Cause the price for a new short block i/c engine is after tax and shipping is probably 300 bucks, when i could buy a bigger engine for the same price or a 6.5hp honda from harbor freight. but i would rather buy the briggs but the honda is cheaper, and honda's actually last for a long time, just about long like a briggs would.
but for my go kart im going to go for the honda engine, cause for the price, i can't beat that with a briggs, and the honda engine is a i/c engine cause it has bearings on the crankshaft, castiron bore, its just like my briggs but new technology flathead vs. ohv, but heck for the price, quality, and power, its a nice buy. but that would be the only honda i would buy, idk. Briggs is the best, honda is actually hate to say this is really good too, mean my grandpa had this honda for A VERY LONG TIME and it ran like a new mower everyday, but then age hit and it would start smoking really bad after it warmed up, so he bought a tech. it lasted 2 yrs so he went out and bought honda, and it actually is REALLY EASY TO START AND RUNS PRETTY DANG GOOD,
SO WHAT im saying is briggs, honda, kohler are my best 3 choices of engine, other guys can just screw themselves.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Briggs 5hp block Empty
PostSubject: Re: Briggs 5hp block   Briggs 5hp block Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2010, 6:33 pm

Oh no, dont get me wrong, Honda make great engines (and cars!), I definatly wouldnt say no to one for the right price. Ive used a few before, really nice motors. So fuel efficent too, and smooth running. Plus there are alot of parts out htere to mod small Honda engines too!

The best lawn related thing Honda ever made was the 3813, the twin cylinder liquid cooled 5 speed shaft driven manual lawn tractor. Would be amazing off road. Super engines, over manufuactured for the job, which makes it even better.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
motorhead45102

Briggs 5hp block Empty
PostSubject: Re: Briggs 5hp block   Briggs 5hp block Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2010, 8:39 pm

yeah online its like 129. bucks but i heard its up at the harbor freight store near me for even cheaper, on sale deal. hopefully it stays on sale for the end of next month so i have time to buy it. i know one week at work i can buy it, 10 bucks an hr for so far what the boss said 40 hr so 10 x 40 =400 and 400 x number of weeks in month say this month is four solid weeks which =1600
man thats good but when im done with collage and working at a ford dealership ill be bringing in the big bucks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Briggs 5hp block Empty
PostSubject: Re: Briggs 5hp block   Briggs 5hp block Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Briggs 5hp block
Page 1 of 1