All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Racing/mud mower.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
thatrandomguy
thatrandomguy

Racing/mud mower. Empty
PostSubject: Racing/mud mower.   Racing/mud mower. Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2012, 5:40 pm

Hi all.
Im going to build a racing/mud mower.
I wanna put like a 18 hp (v)twin and a 600 series peerles in it.
But wil the transmission hold up?
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Racing/mud mower. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing/mud mower.   Racing/mud mower. Icon_minitimeMay 20th 2012, 8:28 pm

For a while. I've gotten a couple years out of them before they blow with 18hp. If you keep it under 30mph top speed it may last.
Back to top Go down
thatrandomguy
thatrandomguy

Racing/mud mower. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing/mud mower.   Racing/mud mower. Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2012, 11:30 am

Stretch44875 wrote:
For a while. I've gotten a couple years out of them before they blow with 18hp. If you keep it under 30mph top speed it may last.

And if i just used it for racing with a top speed of about 40/45mph and still put a 16 or 18 horse on it?
Do you think it would last?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Racing/mud mower. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing/mud mower.   Racing/mud mower. Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2012, 7:03 pm

Keep in mind stock transmissions werent designed to ever spin that fast - most racers use transmissions with custom internals/berings/ect.

My mod murray i ran with a 18HP twin opposed briggs and the stock 6 speed trans - it was together for a few years, but i only drove it ocassionally at 30 plus MPH - the trans is still in one piece, i dumped nearly a quart of lucas oil engine additive in it to keep things greased up nicely .

I would say if you dont do any mods, at least change the grease/oil in it first, get it thick as possible - and if used constantly - crack it open often and check it/change the grease/oil.

I ran my LT 12 craftsman at 20 plus and wrecked the trans after a short time- never changed the original 1985 grease/gear oil.

Best setup would be running a 700 peerless/right angle gear box to a straight axle - im doing that on my rat rod wheelhorse ( when i get around to building it).
Back to top Go down
mowerstompin
mowerstompin

Racing/mud mower. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing/mud mower.   Racing/mud mower. Icon_minitimeJune 14th 2012, 7:53 pm

Now you can't be expecting to have a 40-45mph mud machine as if you want it to go fast alot you will need to remove the reverse chain as it's the weak link and will break before anything else and if that happens you'll be looking for a new transaxle. So if you want to mud/race id suggest having two different machines one for each, as mudding you don't need 40-45mph speeds lol. Same with the brakes, if you want to go them speeds you'll need brakes, meaning you shouldn't use the stock brakes on the tranny because in the case it ever explodes you won't have brakes at all; so shaft brakes are better.

Prepping:

Remove the old grease, clean everything with a good solvent, EXCEPT the brass bushings if present, wipe them out with a clean dry rag so as not to remove the impregnated oil finish and remove the reverse chain. Not sure if the 600s have them but I know the 700s do, but theres a little screw in piece on top of the tranny there it looks kinda like a sensor (neutral switch), remove that and put in a 1/4" brass barbed nipple in it and run a vent line. You'll need to cut about 3 threads off it for it to fit down all the way, and put a oring on it to seal it up good. Then you can weld the spider gears to make it posi-track.

Racing/mud mower. Th_dsc10
Racing/mud mower. Th_dsc11

From there use combination of gear lube and 00 grease as lubricant, be sure to pack a little grease in the tubes around the axle, it'll help seal the axle and prevent the lube from leaking out the axle tubes.

======================

Now you can do the same for a mudder just don't have to go so into it. If your just going to mud, going a mudding speeds (wouldn't imagine that'd be 40-45mph lol) then you can leave the reverse chain in there and use the transaxle stock brakes as I wouldn't see yea breaking it. If you did break it from mud riding you wouldn't really have to worry about flying off it when the metal gets in the gears and locks up the tranny going muddin speeds.

Anyways best of luck to whatever you deside to do cheers
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/mowerstompin
Sponsored content

Racing/mud mower. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Racing/mud mower.   Racing/mud mower. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Racing/mud mower.
Page 1 of 1