All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Engine stories

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
motorhead45102

Engine stories Empty
PostSubject: Engine stories   Engine stories Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2010, 5:51 pm

Ok i made this post for everyone tell me if they had a favorite engine and later on died from old age and use.
I made a post reply in the engine tech should of put it here, its about my 3.5hp classic, that was my own first engine and i liked that thing alot, but its dieing but im not going to use it anymore till i can fix its problem.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Engine stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine stories   Engine stories Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2010, 6:46 pm

My first engine was a 12hp Briggs I/C. I used it on my rally, and before that, was on my ALKO that I beat on. Its never missed a beat, always ran strong, I cleaned it up too, sanded and repainted the shroud, stuff like that. Looked mint. I was going to put the oringinal 12hp powerbuilt back on the Rally but never did, and sold it. So its gone now. Nothgin special about the motor really, and I dont really regret it either, I have other motors, and needed money.

The only other motor is my 3.5p Briggs on my dads old push mower that he gave up on probably about 16 years ago, when my mum decided she didnt like using that, and wanted an electric Flymo. Due to poor health (back problems and heart problems) he cant use much machinery anymore anyway, which is a shame, because he really does look after his stuff. Espeiaclly his 18 year old ALKO strimmer thats still going, it has a fuel leak, so the tank need to be emptied after each use. Thats antoher thing Im gonna eventually fix.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Engine stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine stories   Engine stories Icon_minitimeMay 9th 2010, 7:33 pm

Personally, ive never had a motor let go on me- i really wanted to see this one teccy push mower engine self destruct, but gave it away with my old trailer i sold- i was so pissed at it. I tuned it up, oil change, fuel filter and sharpened the blade. Thing wouldnt start after an hour. I put all the old stuff back on it, and it fired right up- i never checked or changed the oil again. It was knocking pretty badly when i dropped it off, but still ran.

My dad's 88 MTD original 12HP briggs let go after a bout of tinkering with the governer to beat me in a race across the yard- knocked pretty bad and finally blew out both sides of the motor when he was mowing one sunday years ago- its got a 12.5HP IC on it now.
Back to top Go down

Engine stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine stories   Engine stories Icon_minitimeMay 25th 2010, 7:31 am

One of my push mowers was low on oil so I went into my dads shop to get some and grabed a half jug of "oil". Then when we pored it in then fired it up the mower started to smoke and smoke my back yard looked like it was on fire there was so much smoke. I went and smelled the jug of "oil" and well the week before we were changing the powersteering pump on my 42 willys jeep ( it was a junkyard build) and that's where we put the powersteering fluid and then it went into the lawn mower. The mower still runs like a champ but still smells a little when you run it.
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

Engine stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine stories   Engine stories Icon_minitimeAugust 31st 2010, 9:39 pm

Well it's not a mower, but a car engine. People claim the 22-RE is a tough one. I can attest to that. About 3 years ago in my Celica running about 170-180 km/h she started ticking, and I knew it was time. There had been a bad internal coolant leak in it before I bought it, and was only a matter of time before it took it's toll on the bearings. Anyway I slowed down to normal speed and tried to make it home, got about 75 KM then BANG! locked up the wheels, snapped con-rod 1 and seized up tight, so I parked it and walked to call home and get a ride. Next day I went to check on my car to make sure nobody stole anything or whatever, and just for a joke I said to my buddy "let's see if it starts" so sure enough it fired right up on 3 cyls, swinging that rod around like a sac of doorknobs. Drove it towards home got about 25 km at 70 km/h max speed, just about to my house when it seized up tight AGAIN. So we towed it home with my truck from there. Few hours later another friend came by to see the damage, for a joke he said "can I start it ?!?!?!" I said yeah, good luck. So he tried and sure enough, it fired right up, on 3 cyls and boy was it smoking now. We drove / pushed it into my shop where we held it at 3000RPM (as high as it would rev in this condition) till no. 4 con-rod flew thru the block on both sides, and the oil pan. After that it still started and ran about 2500 RPM and idled on its own just fine. On 2 cyls. I can't say I killed a 22-RE, because it still ran.
Back to top Go down
motorhead45102

Engine stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine stories   Engine stories Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2010, 12:05 am

man thats a very tough motor to handle 1 rod flying apart locking up 3 times and unlocking and running and throw a second rod and idle like there nothing wrong. what a engine, i think thats what my uncle has in his toyota truck which is now a mudder truck, very nice mudd truck for sure. his has a little bit of tick but its the valve train and not the rods, but he runs off of propane(more steep angles without dieing) also
how many miles did that thing have? my chevy 2.2l has 320,000 kinda knocks or sorta knock but like a metalic rattle almost, no smoke, doesn't burn oil but lately ive been smelling oil, and i only smell it when i let off the gas? dunno what that is, but it doesn't smoke at all when driving, i can punch it to the floor and doesn't smoke. also i have a CRAP LOAD of blow by gases, like i put on me parking brake and put it in drive and gave it some throttle and theres so much blow by that it blowing out past the oil fill cap and the pvc isn't clogged either, also it sometimes leaks a bit of anti freeze around the head bolts and fills up the spark plug hole (with the plug in of course) with dried up burnt dirt and anti freeze. alot of crap going wrong? lol I want to give it a rebuild but it would cost more than what the car is worth going by kelly blue book. i want to put in a new cam and lifters(very expensive because(not that this is bad) but gm decided to use hydraulic ROLLER lifters) which cost about 15 bucks ea. and there is 8 of them plus the cam, and i want to put on a clean head, and some rings and it should be good for another 300 or so thousand miles, but if the cam looks ok i may just do lifters, cause they sound liike they are not happy about running, and i want to alteast do a head and gasket but if i can't get the head ill do the gasket but the reason for a new head is, new valves, springs and valve seals
, well thats all for now before i take up half the forum, LOl
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

Engine stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine stories   Engine stories Icon_minitimeSeptember 1st 2010, 10:07 am

motorhead45102 wrote:
man thats a very tough motor to handle 1 rod flying apart locking up 3 times and unlocking and running and throw a second rod and idle like there nothing wrong. what a engine, i think thats what my uncle has in his toyota truck which is now a mudder truck, very nice mudd truck for sure. his has a little bit of tick but its the valve train and not the rods, but he runs off of propane(more steep angles without dieing) also
how many miles did that thing have? my chevy 2.2l has 320,000 kinda knocks or sorta knock but like a metalic rattle almost, no smoke, doesn't burn oil but lately ive been smelling oil, and i only smell it when i let off the gas? dunno what that is, but it doesn't smoke at all when driving, i can punch it to the floor and doesn't smoke. also i have a CRAP LOAD of blow by gases, like i put on me parking brake and put it in drive and gave it some throttle and theres so much blow by that it blowing out past the oil fill cap and the pvc isn't clogged either, also it sometimes leaks a bit of anti freeze around the head bolts and fills up the spark plug hole (with the plug in of course) with dried up burnt dirt and anti freeze. alot of crap going wrong? lol I want to give it a rebuild but it would cost more than what the car is worth going by kelly blue book. i want to put in a new cam and lifters(very expensive because(not that this is bad) but gm decided to use hydraulic ROLLER lifters) which cost about 15 bucks ea. and there is 8 of them plus the cam, and i want to put on a clean head, and some rings and it should be good for another 300 or so thousand miles, but if the cam looks ok i may just do lifters, cause they sound liike they are not happy about running, and i want to alteast do a head and gasket but if i can't get the head ill do the gasket but the reason for a new head is, new valves, springs and valve seals
, well thats all for now before i take up half the forum, LOl

My 22-RE had about 155,000 Mi on it. Got a used carb'd 22-R from a truck and converted it over to EFI from the celica, had 199,000KM on the motor when I got it, still has honing marks in the cyls, runs perfect. On your chev, sounds like ring and/or valve seals are going. With that much mileage, it's normal.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Engine stories Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engine stories   Engine stories Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine stories
Page 1 of 1