All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

MTD Double Pulley System

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
akcender
akcender

MTD Double Pulley System Empty
PostSubject: MTD Double Pulley System   MTD Double Pulley System Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2012, 8:04 pm

Has anyone had problems with mtd's double pulley system? i have visions of it failing miserably
Back to top Go down
dylansrockinrigs
dylansrockinrigs

PostSubject: Re: MTD Double Pulley System   MTD Double Pulley System Icon_minitimeAugust 13th 2012, 11:36 pm

the mtd double pulley system is terrible if you get an mtd either replace the tranns, have only forward neutral and revers or just dont get an mtd
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MTD Double Pulley System   MTD Double Pulley System Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2012, 10:51 am

it has its advantages and disadvantages - it gives a variety of speeds , but can easily rust up - when i made a mild mod out of a MTD - i had some belt allignment issues ( turned out to be with the trans pulley).

Sometimes they can be a pain to adjust - sometimes the belts are a pain to get the right length ( due to being a 5/8" wider belt) .

ive never had an MTD in the mud- not sure how itd perform - i know the stock tires are terrible in mud, so those would need to be changed.

Its worth running till you can locate a manual trans.
Back to top Go down
idlorah
idlorah

PostSubject: mtd   MTD Double Pulley System Icon_minitimeAugust 21st 2012, 9:34 am

i have an mtd with the double pully it works fine for me
Back to top Go down
moremorelawnmowers
moremorelawnmowers

PostSubject: Re: MTD Double Pulley System   MTD Double Pulley System Icon_minitimeSeptember 30th 2012, 8:23 am

My mtd has the double pulley system. It does 24 mph and pulls whatever i want to pull. It never slips even under water. Just get tighter belts thats what i did on mine. The only problem is that it creeps a little when its in park. I like the double pulley system because i can just put it in 6th and the further i let the clutch ou the faster i go! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/moremorelawnmowers?feature=mhee
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MTD Double Pulley System   MTD Double Pulley System Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2012, 8:43 pm

More speed can be gained from adjusting the speed control linkage - its possible to adjust the neutral position of the variable pulley ( dont have my MTD manual here) - my 91mastercut was 'tweeked ' by a former owner - wouldnt stop and ran almost too fast to mow safely.

I looked at adjusting the neutral - i readjusted it and it stopped like normal - the speed is still there , havent gotten around to adjusting that part yet.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MTD Double Pulley System   MTD Double Pulley System Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MTD Double Pulley System
Page 1 of 1