All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Lifted Toro Mudder

Go down 
+7
craftsman rider
muddstir
Craftsman Dude
matthew sidor
dangeroustoys56
CornishMorgan
W1ldyOvvnZ
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2012, 10:53 pm

I recently bought a Toro WheelHorse for $30 from a friend. The next week I sold the Front tires off of it for $40 and the Deck for $50 so I made $60, I took the Hydrostatic Transaxle out of the Lawn Tractor and I have it posted online for $150(I am probably going to end up selling it for $100). So I will have $160 to play with on the Tractor so I went to BMI Karts and bought myself some stuff, an Axle, Bearings, Chains, hub, etc. I am going to buy a Rear Engine Rider Tractor from a friend for most likely $50-$100 and part the tractor out and take the Transmission. I have a Couple Pictures of the Fearless Fronts Spindle Extension Mod and the Back tires are Mocked up(They are Mud Blasters off of a 1986 Suzuki Quadrunner Parts Bike from a trade with a $20 Lawn Tractor).

Lifted Toro Mudder IMG_1704
It has a 14HP Briggs and Stratton OHV. The 2008 KFX 450 is my Brothers, Not mine:P

Lifted Toro Mudder IMG_1696
I needed to use Washers as Spacer to keep the Tire from rubbing against the Axle

Lifted Toro Mudder IMG_1697
This is the Outside, I managed to put the Original Caps back on(thats why there is a washer is welded to another washer)

Lifted Toro Mudder IMG_1705
This is a Front View, My friend Cut the muffler off of it so I am most likely going to take the Quadrunner Exhaust and run it back or put the stock one back on.

Lifted Toro Mudder IMG_1707
Just a back View

I will need a 7-8" Lift so I am going to need to buy some Square tubing from my boss tomorrow or something. I am currently already overbudget as is but I want it to look professional and preform well. I have spent $180 on parts so far and am going to spend another $50 on Brakes(I would prefer to have them, The push bar doesn't need that much abuse yet). I am expecting to have $300-$400 depending on how cheap I can get a Hood for it(my friend got one for $85 used and then spent $45 for the headlight, and a new one is $450 which im not buying).

Last edited by W1ldyOvvnZ on February 5th 2013, 9:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
CornishMorgan

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2012, 2:53 pm

looking good Very Happy love the chunky tires.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2012, 7:24 pm

Those rear wheels look like my wooley booger's - with a set of 4 bolt hubs they should mount right up to my GT murray's 1" rear axle ( after i take the original rims off) - has 1" front spindles too .
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeJune 20th 2012, 9:58 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Those rear wheels look like my wooley booger's - with a set of 4 bolt hubs they should mount right up to my GT murray's 1" rear axle ( after i take the original rims off) - has 1" front spindles too .
I think they are the same tread pattern but I think its a cheaper company or something because I know my other ATV tires are Wooley boogers and they say it on them but these dont, they say Mud Blaster with a oval around the writing. I know I can't get any keyway hubs to fit on these Rims so I will probably end up just welding the Hub to the Axle. The Bolt pattern on those tires are off by 1/2" compared to typical ATV rims. Your Tractor seems pretty beafy to have 1" front spindles, it would probably be fairly easy to find hubs for it.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2012, 7:15 pm

Yeah id order another set of hubs from northern tools - i need a pair to mount the wooley's on back anyway.

I actually built a pair of keyed hub adapters from a pair of tractor lift bushings ( from TSC - about $2 each) - and bot a box of steel keys from harbor freight for my murray to mount the 1" 4 bolt hubs - i had to adjust/cut the bushings to fit the keys , welded them suckers up good - fit is excellent - im sure theyll hold up to what i put the tractor thru when its done. Was better then buying new 3/4" hubs.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2012, 8:40 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Yeah id order another set of hubs from northern tools - i need a pair to mount the wooley's on back anyway.

I actually built a pair of keyed hub adapters from a pair of tractor lift bushings ( from TSC - about $2 each) - and bot a box of steel keys from harbor freight for my murray to mount the 1" 4 bolt hubs - i had to adjust/cut the bushings to fit the keys , welded them suckers up good - fit is excellent - im sure theyll hold up to what i put the tractor thru when its done. Was better then buying new 3/4" hubs.

Ive never bought anything from northern tools, do you use the website? where would hubs be on there website? id like to check them out.
Back to top Go down
matthew sidor
matthew sidor

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2012, 9:05 pm

i have a tire that looks exactly the same called the lumberjack made by Cheng Shin

Last edited by matthew sidor on July 8th 2012, 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2012, 11:14 pm

matthew sidor wrote:
i have a tire that looks exactly the same called cheng shin why are there so many brands of the same tire

Im guessing the design of the tire is really good and an easy design for people to copy, Most commonly they are called wooly boogers because im guessing they are the ones who "hit it big" with that style of tire. They are a good tire also because they are good for everything, mud, water, etc.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2012, 11:47 pm

Hubs and stuff are under Go kart parts :

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_go-karts-electric-bikes-scooters+go-kart-minibike-parts-accessories+chains-sprockets-hubs

Ive bot both kinds of 4 bolt hubs - the larger ones for 8" sized rims( for the murray) and the smaller ones for 6" sized rims ( for my wizard build).

Thier service is good - ships promptly - never had a bad order. I order from them because i have in the past , parts might be a bit high but are good quality.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeJuly 6th 2012, 10:28 pm

Lifted Toro Mudder IMG_1776
I Ordered My Parts from BMI Karts and I got the Shipment in Two peices, One on Wednesday(July 5th) and one Today(Friday, July 7th). I wasn't able to start on anything until I got the rest of my Parts Today but since Its Friday I have to hope my boss is going to open the shop tomorrow so I can buy some Steel.

Lifted Toro Mudder IMG_1775
Everything I bought came to a Total of $159.00 After Shipping(I also bought a Keyed Ignition for my other project, a Baja Mini Bike).

I got the Following:
Lifted Toro Mudder IMG_1778

Lifted Toro Mudder IMG_1779
This was the First Box, It contained the #41 54T Sprocket and Aluminum Hub, 6" piece of 1/4" Keystock, and my Brake/Throttle Cable.

Lifted Toro Mudder IMG_1780
This was the Second Box, It contained my 32" Long 1" Live Axle, and my 1" Bearing Kit.

I have a General Idea of what I will do for my Lift, The plan is to have it a Bolt on Lift so I can Make other Lifts according to Other Tires, Since I bought the 32" Live axle instead of a shorter length I am going to be making a higher Lift so the tires sit under the center of the Fender, Or else I will Tuck them in really far and put Duals on it(Most Likely Not because I don't have another set of tires).

Last edited by W1ldyOvvnZ on February 5th 2013, 9:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeJuly 6th 2012, 10:32 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Hubs and stuff are under Go kart parts :

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_go-karts-electric-bikes-scooters+go-kart-minibike-parts-accessories+chains-sprockets-hubs

Ive bot both kinds of 4 bolt hubs - the larger ones for 8" sized rims( for the murray) and the smaller ones for 6" sized rims ( for my wizard build).

Thier service is good - ships promptly - never had a bad order. I order from them because i have in the past , parts might be a bit high but are good quality.

I just checked my Bolt pattern its a 4 bolt but they are 5 1/8"

Lifted Toro Mudder IMG_1772
This was the Best Picture I could get for the Measurement.

Last edited by W1ldyOvvnZ on February 5th 2013, 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2012, 8:21 pm

I prefer to use pillow block berings - besides being a bolt in affair, theyre greasable, designed for high speed and heavy duty ( actually used for industrial blowers). Northern has them also - i have a bunch of different sets of those around for my future projects.

I would say if you wanted to - cut those wheel studs off the wheel flanges, center, mark and drill new holes for new wheel studs ( so its centered properly- any autoparts store has them ) they just press fit from the back, draw them in with the lug nut. You'd most likely need new lug nuts for those new wheel studs.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeJuly 13th 2012, 11:01 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
I prefer to use pillow block berings - besides being a bolt in affair, theyre greasable, designed for high speed and heavy duty ( actually used for industrial blowers). Northern has them also - i have a bunch of different sets of those around for my future projects.

I would say if you wanted to - cut those wheel studs off the wheel flanges, center, mark and drill new holes for new wheel studs ( so its centered properly- any autoparts store has them ) they just press fit from the back, draw them in with the lug nut. You'd most likely need new lug nuts for those new wheel studs.

I was thinking of taking a 1" Drill bit and drilling out the Splines then getting a keyway broach from work and putting a 1/4" keyway in it, but im not 100% sure if they have a keyway and I don't really feel like buying a keyway broach set, Ive been thinking of it, if I weld the Hub on then I would never be able to put new brake rotors on.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2012, 6:40 pm

I didnt notice they were splined hubs - sounds like the best bit to remove the splines and fashion some sort of keyway setup - i like things to come apart if needed - why i didnt weld anything to the transmission axles on mine, id also like to do some sort of brakes as well before actually running it.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2012, 7:51 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
I didnt notice they were splined hubs - sounds like the best bit to remove the splines and fashion some sort of keyway setup - i like things to come apart if needed - why i didnt weld anything to the transmission axles on mine, id also like to do some sort of brakes as well before actually running it.

yeah I was thinking of that when I was at work a couple days ago, Im going to need to put a new rotor on it eventually and it would be hard with the hubs in the way.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2012, 6:31 pm

I picked up a hood from a guy for $100(Seems like alot but I couldn't find another Toro with a Good Hood and my friend who repairs lawn tractors and flips lawn tractors was interested in buying my deck(I sold it to him for $50) and he also needed a new Hood, he said he got the hood for $80 and had to buy a new headlight assembly for another $80, I had got my hood and headlight assembly for $100 so I feel that I got a deal considering there is no cracks or major damage(the most is the Stickers are peeling).

Here are some pictures of it.

Lifted Toro Mudder Photo12
This is the new hood.

Lifted Toro Mudder Photo22
Here is a general idea of what It will look like(without the rear end)

Lifted Toro Mudder Photo31
This is from the front, I am going to be making a push bar for the tractor so I don't break the Hood(Its only made of Plastic)

Last edited by W1ldyOvvnZ on February 5th 2013, 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Craftsman Dude
Craftsman Dude

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2012, 2:18 pm

That tractor is awesome i cant wait to see it finished.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2012, 4:37 pm

craftsman dude wrote:
That tractor is awesome i cant wait to see it finished.
I am trying to get around to it, this winter is when the majority of it is going to get finished. I was thinking of doing a similar bumper to fearless front for the front(looks like he used a bicycle handlebar). Right now its a workbench. once I finish my Trailer I am going to be working on this.
Back to top Go down
Craftsman Dude
Craftsman Dude

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2012, 5:57 pm

Yea i know its hard to make time to work on it sometimes i just finished everything on mine today. What size are your front tires?
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2012, 6:06 pm

craftsman dude wrote:
Yea i know its hard to make time to work on it sometimes i just finished everything on mine today. What size are your front tires?
They were the Original Rear tires off of the Toro, they are 18 X 9.50 - 8, The New Rear Tires are 25 X 12 - 9. I am going to end up doing a 6" Lift because that will make the tractor sit level, the only thing Im worried about is that its going to be about 1" from the fender(just the bottom lip), I was thinking I would try to tuck the tires in.
Back to top Go down
Craftsman Dude
Craftsman Dude

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2012, 9:32 pm

For some reason those tires just look big on the front lol .I woouldnt worry as long as you had about an inch of clearance.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2012, 10:53 pm

craftsman dude wrote:
For some reason those tires just look big on the front lol .I woouldnt worry as long as you had about an inch of clearance.
I just didn't want some idiot to think that sitting on a peice of 14 guage steel will support 180-220lbs. I should be able to start working on the Tractor again next weekend if everything goes well with the trailer. But I will also need to buy another camera because the one I have right now doesn't want to charge anymore.
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeOctober 6th 2012, 6:22 am

Any updates?
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeOctober 6th 2012, 11:39 am

muddstir wrote:
Any updates?
No ive been working on my trailer still, the next thing im going to work on is the Toro, its getting annoying, I want to do the lift kit soon to atleast get the thing moving around...But I wont be able to even get at it this weekend because Im helping my brother do Rockers on his truck and finish the Snowmobile trailer im restoring. This seems to be on the back burner right now, im really wanting to get it done so I can try it in the snow this year... It will probably take a day to finish everything, the most ive gotten done is start drilling out the hubs to 1", my drill press sucks because the chuck just presses on to the shaft, no keyway or set screw to hold it in place.

I want to get it finished but I don't want it to look like Junk, I want it to look like a professional did it which I know I can do its just getting around to it. Are you doing rear suspension on your tractor and if so you are you doing it?
Back to top Go down
muddstir
muddstir

2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitimeOctober 8th 2012, 4:08 pm

Thats kinda the same with me, I'd like to have mine done for this winter but I dont want to rush it. If I rush it I tend to start taking short cuts and start losing the quality I like to shoot for. And right now I got a hundred things going on plus I'm doing long hours at work, so no work on the tractor.

[Are you doing rear suspension on your tractor and if so you are you doing it?]

Yeah, all I did was weld a atv sub frame in my frame so I had all the a-arm mounts, then I bought all the other parts to make it work. I did want to build it all myself but I then realized that there is a lot that goes into the design and setup of IFS and IRS to work correctly. I figured this is my test tractor I'll see what works and what don't, then after my craftsman build I'm going to do one from the ground up.

I do have some pics of me putting the front and rear atv frame in my frame, if you like to see them I can post them on my build. Just let me know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lifted Toro Mudder Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lifted Toro Mudder   Lifted Toro Mudder Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lifted Toro Mudder
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next