All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Murray shift on the go trans

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dked41
dked41

Murray shift on the go trans Empty
PostSubject: Murray shift on the go trans   Murray shift on the go trans Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2012, 12:49 pm

I picked up a Murray with the shift on the go trans. Has anyone used this system, or is it better to eliminate it and go with standard type shifter and clutch for offroading and trail use?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Murray shift on the go trans   Murray shift on the go trans Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2012, 6:22 pm

Ive used one for a mod ( fast) - best thing about it is theres no clutching - when you pull the shifter, that does the clutching shifting up . Its actually a 'standard' 5 or 6 speed trans under it.

It uses gear oil ( i filled mine with lucas oil and 90 wt gear oil) - it held up for a couple years at 30mph and never failed ( still out by my shed).
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Murray shift on the go trans   Murray shift on the go trans Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2012, 8:29 pm

Do either of you have any pics of this shifting setup? I've never heard of it I don't think. I'd be interested to see how it all works.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: Murray shift on the go trans   Murray shift on the go trans Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2012, 9:46 am

Sorry, tried to get some pics but the camera I have doesn't focus very well close up. What it does is clutch the belt when you pull the shifter out of the notch for each gear. The gear notches are deeper and as you pull the shifter out of the notch, it has linkage that moves the idler pulley to disengage the belt while you change gears. There is a foot brake/ clutch setup like a normal tractor also.
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: Murray shift on the go trans   Murray shift on the go trans Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2012, 11:21 am

Murray shift on the go trans Sunp0020
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: Murray shift on the go trans   Murray shift on the go trans Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2012, 11:21 am

Murray shift on the go trans Sunp0021
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: Murray shift on the go trans   Murray shift on the go trans Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2012, 11:22 am

Murray shift on the go trans Sunp0022
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: Murray shift on the go trans   Murray shift on the go trans Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2012, 11:23 am

Murray shift on the go trans Sunp0023
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: Murray shift on the go trans   Murray shift on the go trans Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2012, 11:24 am

The pics aren't great, but kind of show what it does.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Murray shift on the go trans   Murray shift on the go trans Icon_minitimeJuly 20th 2012, 7:09 pm

Its a neat setup - whoever came up with it at murray - ive been contimplating removing the setup from my mod murray to a older craftsman chassis , so i can get it lower.

As simple as the setup is, it works really well . You do need to clutch when downshifting tho .
Back to top Go down
N.jeffries10

PostSubject: Re: Murray shift on the go trans   Murray shift on the go trans Icon_minitimeJanuary 4th 2013, 4:01 pm

Does anyone know if a shift on the go type trans would work for a pulley swap? I'm trying to make my first racing mower and one of the mowers im looking at is yard machines 17hp but it has a shift on the go and I'm not sure how well that would work. Heres a link to the mower http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/for/3516797759.html I'm also open to any suggestions you may have.

Thanks for any input!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Murray shift on the go trans   Murray shift on the go trans Icon_minitimeJanuary 5th 2013, 4:45 am

Its called a 'shift on the go' but its not the same as a murray - it has a variable pulley in front of the seat and the trans is basically a forward/neutral/ reverse.

$200 is alot to spend on something thats going to be modifed - if you keep looking something cheeper will come along.

MTD's can be 'tweeked' - the high speed linkage needs to be adjusted , just as long as the neutral setting stays the same( or itll crawl with the clutch in).

MTD's have a splined transaxle shaft - so unless the stock pulley center is cut out and rewelded in another pulley - itll be a bit hard to find one thatll fit.

Easier way is to swap a geared trans in or a peerless 700 with a straight rear axle.
Back to top Go down
davidgt6000

PostSubject: Re: Murray shift on the go trans   Murray shift on the go trans Icon_minitimeMarch 7th 2013, 5:11 pm

i just got one of the mtd statesman today that has the shift on the go. 6 speed with forward/neutral/reverse. however i am having a problem to get it freewheel its in neutral but its like its in gear, any ideas?/
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Murray shift on the go trans   Murray shift on the go trans Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Murray shift on the go trans
Page 1 of 1