All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Best type of grease for gearbox?

Go down 
+4
TheRainbowBoxer
CityRedneck
dangeroustoys56
CornishMorgan
8 posters
AuthorMessage
CornishMorgan

Best type of grease for gearbox? Empty
PostSubject: Best type of grease for gearbox?   Best type of grease for gearbox? Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2012, 6:23 pm

Before I take the gearbox to my tractor apart, I was just wondering if you could give me your opinion on what type of grease is best for a peerless 821 (or similar type) gearbox?

I've read that 00 grease is good as it's kinda runny and flows back onto the gears. Is this true and is it worth £18?

Thanks in advance
Smile
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Best type of grease for gearbox?   Best type of grease for gearbox? Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2012, 6:52 pm

Couple of my dynamarks use gear oil - one is similar to tecumseh type trans. You can tell oil filled because they have a drain plug already.

Id use as thick of grease /oil y can get - depending where its run, it should be checked/changed every so often.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Best type of grease for gearbox?   Best type of grease for gearbox? Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2012, 7:00 pm

I have had a look at it and there is not drain or filling port that I can see, so I could only guess it uses grease. I'll double check tomorrow if its got a drain port.

I have lithium grease that I use for everyday things, tow ball for trailers for example. Is lithium grease ok for road and mild mudding?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Best type of grease for gearbox?   Best type of grease for gearbox? Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2012, 7:17 pm

Id use something along the lines of wheel bering grease - lithium grease is good for like hinges and stuff . I bot some Lucas oil grease for my tractors ( for mower maintenence) - stuff is awsome - i use it in my MTD's transaxle as well .
Back to top Go down
CityRedneck
CityRedneck

PostSubject: Re: Best type of grease for gearbox?   Best type of grease for gearbox? Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2012, 12:08 am

Ive heard of some people who use marine grease
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Best type of grease for gearbox?   Best type of grease for gearbox? Icon_minitimeAugust 2nd 2012, 11:05 am

We generally replace the grease with gear oil, but that can take some modifications to keep it in the case.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Best type of grease for gearbox?   Best type of grease for gearbox? Icon_minitimeAugust 5th 2012, 10:50 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Id use something along the lines of wheel bering grease - lithium grease is good for like hinges and stuff . I bot some Lucas oil grease for my tractors ( for mower maintenence) - stuff is awsome - i use it in my MTD's transaxle as well .

Cool, Ill see if my local hardware store has some Lucas grease. I have a look or there website and found 2 type that i could use THIS and THIS. Would either of these be ok? Which one do you use?

TheRainbowBoxer wrote:
We generally replace the grease with gear oil, but that can take some modifications to keep it in the case.

Yeah that might be worth considering at some point. What viscosity do you guy tend to use.
When you say modifications, what sort of mods? surely it can be as simple as drilling to holes and putting plugs in there right?

Thank you Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Best type of grease for gearbox?   Best type of grease for gearbox? Icon_minitimeAugust 5th 2012, 3:22 pm

Stretch would be the guy to answer that question.... He does all kinds of stuff to the trannys (he has a video on this on his youtube account). Not sure what all he does to keep the oil in. We do put a drain plug and a breather tube on them.

Edit - Stretch's video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3JuCfSY-Gc&feature=plcp

I re-watched it and there really is not anything about the oil retention in the vid.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Best type of grease for gearbox?   Best type of grease for gearbox? Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2012, 9:21 am

For a regular racing tranny, I'd dump some gear oil in there, and some regular grease, and just let it mix. Would have to take it apart and replace every couple of years.

Mods I did on our trannys, was cut off brake shaft where it extends out the housing, then use a capped bearing. Drilled and tapped for a drain plug and breather. Oringed the bushings/bearings where the axle goes through. RTV'ed the cases all the way around. Installed grease zerks for the axle, and filled the axle area with grease.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Best type of grease for gearbox?   Best type of grease for gearbox? Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2012, 6:30 pm

Awesome, thanks for the help Very Happy

I will use grease for the time being and when i get a bit more confident doing mechanical work, Ill do the same as you Stretch. It seems to be the best option.

Thanks again for you help.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Best type of grease for gearbox?   Best type of grease for gearbox? Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2012, 6:34 pm

I am im the middle of rebuilding the gearbox and now at the point of ordering the grease for it. I was looking at Lucas Red N Tacky Grease , would this be a wise choice or not? If not, could you please link me to the best grease without paying millions Neutral (bear in mind im in the uk if linking me to different site)

Thank You
Back to top Go down
greener179
greener179

PostSubject: Re: Best type of grease for gearbox?   Best type of grease for gearbox? Icon_minitimeAugust 28th 2012, 10:19 pm

shouldnt be bad i would use it if i was you says for automotive
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Best type of grease for gearbox?   Best type of grease for gearbox? Icon_minitimeSeptember 2nd 2012, 3:30 pm

Any objections to Lucas Red N' Tacky?
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Best type of grease for gearbox?   Best type of grease for gearbox? Icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2012, 2:35 pm

I'd guess no one has a reason to not use Lucas Red N' Tacky. Ill get that ordered tonight to tomorrow.

Thanks again for your valuable help once again Very Happy

*Edit* Ordered.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Best type of grease for gearbox?   Best type of grease for gearbox? Icon_minitimeSeptember 3rd 2012, 11:10 pm

I don't think I've ever heard anyone say anything bad about lucal products, unless it was a price complaint. Good stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: Romper and water in the gears   Best type of grease for gearbox? Icon_minitimeSeptember 4th 2012, 11:59 am

I used to use plain grease like anyone else, I started using sealant to prvent water from getting in the gears and mixing (nasty mess!)
I got the idea of using gear oil from the racing mower guys, and I personally like it because adding a tap underneath and letting it drain allows you several diagnostic features.
1. quickly tel if you were low on oil
2. quickly tell if water was in your case
3. quicly spot metal fragments.

the next good beneifit, is if you have a problem inside, once its drained, its relatively clean. opposed to grease...which is a nightmare and we all know just how we dread the mess..unless there is an easy way to not make a mess..(please enlighten me)

I hadnt added the zerks for the axle, but I might do that in the future...
So, for me I like the gear oil mod.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best type of grease for gearbox?   Best type of grease for gearbox? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best type of grease for gearbox?
Page 1 of 1