All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?

Go down 
+9
AcreFarm
dked41
TheRainbowBoxer
W1ldyOvvnZ
cumminsbayou
F150F250F350
Chunk
dangeroustoys56
Farmster
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Farmster
Farmster

Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Empty
PostSubject: Has anyone used an electronic clutch for a mud bogger?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeAugust 6th 2010, 6:42 pm

I was scrolling down Craigslist looking for mowers today and came across a electronic clutch for a Craftsman mower deck. A idea struck me. Has any one ever used this as a drive pulley and it you could engage drive with a button. I think when I find a mower, Ill try this sounds fun for like a mud bogger or wheelies. Let me know what you guys think
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2010, 1:19 pm

Depends if the clutch works or not and how much it is ( a new one goes for $400) - a way to check is hook a normal 12 volt battery to the plug ( pos and neg ) - one to each terminal on the plug- it should lock 'on' and release when disconnected.

I planned on using one when i build my true 4x4 gt6000 ( some year) - would use a wheelhorse trans in front ( its a 3 hi/3 low trans - like the GT's) - a horizontal shaft motor, and run all 4 rear tires of my GT's on it.

Id mount the motor sideways, have the original drive pulley run the rear trans, while the clutch would be hooked to the front trans- i figure youd be able to shift the trans, and lock the trans into a 4x4 as well as a 2 wheel drive setups with a shift of the lever and a flip of a switch.

Theory would be to use 2 wheel drive to get to the offroad site ( faster driving- shift the front trans into neutral and leave the clutch off) and turn the clutch on and shift into one of the 6 gears for full traction.

Best thing about a trans in front is the built in differential, while the rear could be locked .
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2010, 2:48 pm

I think having an ON or OFF drive would be a bit of a pain, then again, it could work pretty well. Think someone ought to try it! Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeAugust 7th 2010, 5:17 pm

Id like to build it- cept i have the need for speed first- my wheelhorse is still callin' ! LOL!
Back to top Go down
Farmster
Farmster

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2010, 4:23 pm

hahaha right now i dont have a mower at all i just bought a wheelhorse but im restoring it . cant find any lawnmowers around here at all
Back to top Go down
Farmster
Farmster

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2010, 4:28 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Depends if the clutch works or not and how much it is ( a new one goes for $400) - a way to check is hook a normal 12 volt battery to the plug ( pos and neg ) - one to each terminal on the plug- it should lock 'on' and release when disconnected.

I planned on using one when i build my true 4x4 gt6000 ( some year) - would use a wheelhorse trans in front ( its a 3 hi/3 low trans - like the GT's) - a horizontal shaft motor, and run all 4 rear tires of my GT's on it.

Id mount the motor sideways, have the original drive pulley run the rear trans, while the clutch would be hooked to the front trans- i figure youd be able to shift the trans, and lock the trans into a 4x4 as well as a 2 wheel drive setups with a shift of the lever and a flip of a switch.

Theory would be to use 2 wheel drive to get to the offroad site ( faster driving- shift the front trans into neutral and leave the clutch off) and turn the clutch on and shift into one of the 6 gears for full traction.

Best thing about a trans in front is the built in differential, while the rear could be locked .

Gota be carfull with some wheelhorse trannys my old 1 i shucked the pin that held the right side axle in 2 times but i was rockcralwin with it but i figured out you can take the axe out and drive it on 3 wheels hahha good times
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2010, 6:48 pm

The trans actually needs work anyway- the input shaft seals are gone. I had it moving last year, ran it about 10 feet then the trans locked- i tore it apart to build a super mod hot rod from the sheetmetal and a 2003 bolens chassis- ill paint the chassis and leave the sheetmetal alone, itll be low, fast and hopefully look cool when its done.

I planned on using 1" heavy duty ujoints on the front trans to steer and a steering knuckle setup as well- luckily the wheelhorse hubs are the same pattern/size as my GT6000 rear rims - just a fine thread setup.

Only issues id see setting that up would be modding the shift levers to be able to reach them.

Ill run the stock tires at first and save up for some AG tires.
Back to top Go down
Farmster
Farmster

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeAugust 8th 2010, 8:42 pm

sounds great man btw i just found this site watchin fearless's videos on youtube i wtahced all them then wanted more haha found the fourm its great ....

I used a disengage level off my wheelhorse for a shifter on my rat rod mower but then broke it shiftin thru the gears haha It was a simplicty yeoman great mower for off roading it pivited in the middle
Back to top Go down
Farmster
Farmster

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeAugust 9th 2010, 12:05 pm

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/grd/1877006858.html here is that clutch if any 1 wants it 40$
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2010, 4:31 pm

Thats like off a JD- it should work ( check it first before handing the cash over) - mine are similar to this ( horizontal shaft motors) : http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/10-12309.html

Back to top Go down
Farmster
Farmster

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2010, 10:36 pm

im not gona buy it i just ran across it and the idea poped in my head
Back to top Go down
F150F250F350
F150F250F350

PostSubject: I have one   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2011, 12:34 pm

I have one just never thought about that the only reson I do have it is because I know what it is worth sell it to you!
Back to top Go down
F150F250F350
F150F250F350

PostSubject: I have one   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeOctober 20th 2011, 12:37 pm

I have one just never thought about that the only reson I do have it is because I know what it is worth sell it to you!
Back to top Go down
cumminsbayou
cumminsbayou

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2011, 9:35 pm

Very Happy i think ill do this on my 96 john deer with a hydrostatic transmision in it and put in a old 3 speed i have all i need to do is lift the transmision to line up with the eletric clutch it all ready has on it
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeDecember 8th 2011, 9:25 am

I had though of doing it but it would break you wouldnt go anywhere. What happens if the clutch goes under water? I have one on my mower(for cutting grass) but im not willing to risk $300 to see if it works underwater.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
F150F250F350
F150F250F350

PostSubject: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2012, 10:07 pm

I remember reading about using the deck electric cluch for drive belt but I was wondering if any one had done it yet.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeSeptember 11th 2012, 10:29 pm

I would think that would be a very rough all or nothing clutch for the drive. Might be interesting for popping wheelies though...

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2012, 10:23 am

I have split the clutch and used the pulley, but not the clutch itself.
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2012, 7:16 pm

TheRainbowBoxer wrote:
I would think that would be a very rough all or nothing clutch for the drive. Might be interesting for popping wheelies though...

That's exactly what it would be... no slipping at all. Right up until it burns out.
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: I have two of those..   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2012, 1:12 am

I have two of those electric pulley clutches..

I been thinking of something to do with them....I think If you come across them the best thing is to sell on ebay if you can..
Back to top Go down
F150F250F350
F150F250F350

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2012, 9:03 am

thanks guys I had been thiking the same things
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeOctober 5th 2012, 10:17 pm

Yall mightve herd it, but again a plan for my GT6000 was to use a horizontal twin mounted sideways to run the stock 3 speed hi/low trans in back and a wheelhorse 3 speed hi /low up front - i planned on using the electric clutch to drive the front trans in mud and shut it off for normal use ( 2 wheel drive) - i figure the clutch wont have a whole lot of pressure on it while active , unless it was either in thick mud or a higher gear - the trans should take most of the stress.

Using a electric clutch would give me all kinds of options , in all the gears or shut it off and shift into neutral up front and plain two wheel drive, altho id be running two rear tires up front as well as in the back - monster truck style, with a mild lift to fit them correctly.

Thinking it out it sounds like it would work, altho i havent even tried building it , mainly because one of my two horizontal engines run, and thats already in a mower.

The other thing is i really dont have anywhere to drive something that big around - no nearby mud - so its been in limbo, but still thinking about it.
Back to top Go down
moremorelawnmowers
moremorelawnmowers

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2012, 2:31 pm

I have always wanted to use one as a clutch for the drive belt. My concerns are will they work under water, will it hold up(there expensive to replace), and i think you would do a wheelie every time you hit the switch wich would be rough on the trans.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/moremorelawnmowers?feature=mhee
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2012, 7:11 am

I wouldnt use an electric clutch in water situations - its basically an electrical coil and would short out.

Even tho the 4x4 idea of mine would use one, the clutch would be mounted up under the hood, id also make some sort of deflector for it to keep it clean/dry.

Its a good point that it might jolt the trans - its either on or off , no clutching - itd be possible to make an additional hand clutch to slowly engage the belt .
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: Maybe it could be rigged    Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitimeOctober 18th 2012, 1:47 pm

There has to be someone out there that has used them in some creative way. I personally have the two, and they sit in a box probly going on ebay or craigslist soon..

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?   Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Has anyone fitted an electric cluch to their tractor yet?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next