All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How can i build a dullie tractor?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage

How can i build a dullie tractor? Empty
PostSubject: How can i build a dullie tractor?   How can i build a dullie tractor? Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2010, 4:59 am

so i am thinkin about bolting two tires together on each side of axle. And say i was going down a trail and there was big ruts from four wheeler, and driving across the ruts with just the outer tires supporting the mower do you guys think the axle will bend.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How can i build a dullie tractor?   How can i build a dullie tractor? Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2010, 8:18 am

personally i thought i would do this ages ago but two things stopped me

no money for strong enough bolts and since i locked my diff the damage to my lawn and to the driveway would have been too bad...

double tyres shouldn't worry you as the only issue i could think of is the bolts as they would have to be heavy duty, the gearbox should handle the strain mines balanced on one wheel with the other in the air going up a fallen tree and it held up fine, i had two ideas and i might as well blurt the out ATM

one - drill four holes in two tyres and bolt together this was the simple way and cost effective way

two - weld an old drive shaft from an old gearbox to the existing ones, this would be irreversible but if you welded it right AKA 3 or four spot welds, then instead of the gearbox breaking the welds would snap, which would be good as you would still have one tyre to get you home!

dunno i think the bolt idea is a bit risky although my second idea is better if you want a transaxle that wont break although this is more expensive...
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

PostSubject: Re: How can i build a dullie tractor?   How can i build a dullie tractor? Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2010, 8:20 am

Its been done before, and I believe it should be OK but there is a chance that in extreme running that you could break the axle, trans-axle housing stuff like that.
Back to top Go down
http://ctraugh.blogspot.com/
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How can i build a dullie tractor?   How can i build a dullie tractor? Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2010, 10:07 am

Yeah, I agree. With noraml use etc, should be fine, you'll need really strong bolts though.

It may only damage it if you're on the outer wheels and you bit a big stone or soemthing, that may bust the axle, but they are farily tough.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids

PostSubject: Re: How can i build a dullie tractor?   How can i build a dullie tractor? Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2010, 4:29 pm

Yea I got the bolt thing covered my dad has a huge bolt bin of some pretty good quality bolts
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: How can i build a dullie tractor?   How can i build a dullie tractor? Icon_minitimeMay 21st 2010, 6:08 pm

personally i wouldnt go with anything less than a 1/4 inch bolt or a 1/8 if your putting eight in, they'll have to be real tight though and the holes will have to be perfect Arrow lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How can i build a dullie tractor?   How can i build a dullie tractor? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How can i build a dullie tractor?
Page 1 of 1