All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Craftsman mower

Go down 
+5
Chunk
dangeroustoys56
arild365
CMHN
Thevinnieman92
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Thevinnieman92
Thevinnieman92

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 22nd 2010, 11:18 pm

I have a crafts man lawn mower that im starting on i need ideas for suspension and many other things if you could hwlp me i.d. it that would be awesome th emodel # is 502 255713 and the serial is 11960468
Back to top Go down
Thevinnieman92
Thevinnieman92

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 22nd 2010, 11:37 pm

Ans im sorry but i cant figure out how to put a pic up yet
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2010, 9:44 am

Hi and welcome to the forums.

To put a picture up you will need to host it somewhere like photobucket. Then you link it from your photobucket account to here. Photobucket is a free file storage website.

Once you get your pictures hosted you can use the tools to insert your photo into your posts.

Hope this helps and I cant wait to see your project.

bounce
Back to top Go down
http://ctraugh.blogspot.com/
Thevinnieman92
Thevinnieman92

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2010, 10:52 am

Craftsman mower IMAG0055
Back to top Go down
Thevinnieman92
Thevinnieman92

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2010, 10:55 am

Craftsman mower IMAG0052
Craftsman mower IMAG0053 MY custom throttle
Craftsman mower IMAG0054 Notice how i have the govener i overridded it on the old throtle
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2010, 11:10 am

nice tractor you got there. really nice.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
Thevinnieman92
Thevinnieman92

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2010, 2:17 pm

Thank you i would like to figure out suspension for it but i dont have a weilder so im a little stuck.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2010, 2:29 pm

I have a tractor just like it in pieces in my shed - its waiting its turn for a rebuild - PO painted it red - looks ugly cause its all peeling off.

I highly suggest NOT over riding the governer - theyre not designed to run over 3000 RPMs. If over revved too much the flywheel WILL explode .

Plans for it ? A lowered modifed or raised up offroader? Check out some of the other builds to get some ideas.

Im building a couple lowered modifeds and a lifted rockcrawler ( when time allows).
Back to top Go down
Thevinnieman92
Thevinnieman92

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2010, 2:31 pm

Im planning on making an offroad beating machine. So far as it is ive off roaded a little and bent my axle gear in a u
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2010, 2:44 pm

Youll need to possibly lift it, and have the front axle articulate more as well as some larger front tires- Fearless front used a bolt welded on the front spindles to hold the larger wheels on.

Ive used my 80's stock Agway as a mud swamper the last few years up at the folks house- surprisingly did great in the mud. Its getting a mild lift, rear tires on the front with more articulation on the axle and larger motor as a phase one.
Back to top Go down
Thevinnieman92
Thevinnieman92

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2010, 2:51 pm

sounds cool!! You should post some pics when its done.

I had an idea for the front because the rear tires pretty much slide on i was going to drill a hole in the axles and tap it then put an oversized space on to kept it some what snug. But the back i dont like cause it has a peerless 798 on it that chain drives the backso i need a stronger gear in the back. Cause the one i have on bent in a u so its un useable im currently without a job so im just using little pieces of whatever i fing around my garage to build it up little by little i made a custom turbo but it shorted out,(i used an old vaccum motor flipped it upside down and toggled it to a seperate battery it was cool till it broke.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2010, 3:02 pm

That's definatly a Murray based machine, recognise the chassis. If you're planning on doing some hard off roading, I'd box the chassis up some. Other than that it looks like its got alot of potentioal.

Locking diff would be a good place to start modding. Does that thing have a hood by the way? Be cool to get one on it. Just personal prefereance, some people like em off, I prefer them on. lol.
Bigger more aggressive tyres are also good. Thats the basis for a capable mudder, then mods like bumpers and stuff like that.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
Thevinnieman92
Thevinnieman92

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2010, 3:28 pm

It does have a hood but i have no way of mounting it at the moment i am in the procces of painting everything but the frame flat black
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2010, 5:46 pm

bounce I like flat black. bounce
Back to top Go down
http://ctraugh.blogspot.com/
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2010, 7:08 pm

Me too! Flat black is awesome. Red pinstriping could look cool.

cough*rat rod mower* cough
Back to top Go down
Thevinnieman92
Thevinnieman92

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2010, 7:13 pm

I like that idea of a rat rod mower. Maybe i could cut out some pipes make a stack put red striping on it and possibaly make a new frame for it im an unskilled wielder without a weilder but i know someone that would let me use theres. I would like to make something ressembling chunks mower but dont have the expertiese.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2010, 7:36 pm

If you can afford it, buy a cheap welder and teach yourself, thats what I did.

My chassis really wasnt planned out, I just got some angle together, cut it and welded it up. It's not too pretty, but it sure as hell beats the stamped chassis. IT doesnt admittidly take a little brain work, but Im amazed at how it all came together in the end!

I wouldnt go for the stack, unless you;re not planning on tacking big hills and stuff, you flip back, first thing you'll land on is the stack, and that could bust the block. scratch
Back to top Go down
Thevinnieman92
Thevinnieman92

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 23rd 2010, 8:09 pm

Thats a good point. i have a video on youtube when i first got it. I flipped it by popping the clutch and plus im a big guy which means mower flips backward really easily. i had a small stack when that happend but i didnt flip all the way, the owner before me drilled and tapped the exhaust bigger and he didnt cut them deep enough so my exhaust wobbles alot but nothing a little jb weld can fix.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 25th 2010, 6:17 pm

Nice, Those craftsman's are really easy to work on. Lots of room in there! Look like you got a good start there, keep modding and you'll be surprised how capable it will be with just a few tweaks.
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 25th 2010, 8:21 pm

I did notice on mine that the front axle is different- its like pressed together with these tabs on the ends- i could only fit the original stock rims on it because of the back spacing - other wheels would hit these tabs. Modding the spindles could run any rim size- altho id buzz a weld around that front axle.

I had planned on modding it originally, until i found out the PO broke the original trans. Since then its sat in my shed on an old work table in the corner.
Back to top Go down
Thevinnieman92
Thevinnieman92

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeMay 26th 2010, 4:03 pm

Mine doesnt have tabs but the rear end is only held on by brackets that bennd to easily so im making a little frame to minimalize the movement on it so the chain doesnt slip of the gear any more. Fearlessfront thank you for inviting me to this site.
Back to top Go down

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeJune 21st 2010, 8:26 pm

get some large turt tires and let out alittle air out to get a better ride instead of buying atv tires
Back to top Go down
MSteele323

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeJune 22nd 2010, 1:59 am

Chunk wrote:
That's definatly a Murray based machine, recognise the chassis. .
Yeah that was a dead give away.That and the shift panel setup.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/msteele323?feature=mhw5
Thevinnieman92
Thevinnieman92

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2010, 11:56 am

Alright, good news. I got a hold of a 4 wheeler. I think im going to pull the rear end and brakes off it and try to put it on the mower if this works. Ill be unstoppable for what i want to do.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitimeJuly 5th 2010, 5:11 pm

Sounds sweeeet! What kind of quad is it? Brakes are such a must, Im still on the hunt for some.
Really looking forawrd to seeing what you come up with bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Craftsman mower Empty
PostSubject: Re: Craftsman mower   Craftsman mower Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Craftsman mower
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next