All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

I need more pulling power!!!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jaymz_eric

I need more pulling power!!!! Empty
PostSubject: I need more pulling power!!!!   I need more pulling power!!!! Icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2012, 1:45 pm

hey guys i need more pulling power so i can pull trees out of the woods for firewood and to haul my log trailor. im going to put those tractor tire looking tires at TSC on it but im wondering about locking the rearend...whats the downfalls and dangers of doing this? I would have it welded by a pro welder tho. does it cause damage to any other components over time?
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: I need more pulling power!!!!   I need more pulling power!!!! Icon_minitimeNovember 11th 2012, 6:14 pm

The only downside to locking the differential is steering becomes somewhat difficult. The tractor wants to push in a straight line.
For more traction you should also consider loading the tires, using wheel weights and chains too.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: I need more pulling power!!!!   I need more pulling power!!!! Icon_minitimeNovember 12th 2012, 12:14 am

Check this thread out :

http://atltf.forumotion.com/t845-fozzy-locker-or-welded-spiders

Id try the weighted wheels first , but the procedure in the thread is reversible if you have a spare set of gears around.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: I need more pulling power!!!!   I need more pulling power!!!! Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2012, 5:35 pm

Also try windshield washer fluid in the tires too for weights but its alot harder to get out of the tire when you don't want the weight.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
moremorelawnmowers
moremorelawnmowers

PostSubject: Re: I need more pulling power!!!!   I need more pulling power!!!! Icon_minitimeNovember 13th 2012, 7:30 pm

I would lock the differential, load the tires with wind sheild washer fluid and get your new tires. It will be unstoppable with those things. I've never had a problem with locked differentials besides steering but it is not that bad. As for loading the tires install tubes in the tires and remove the valve core. Then what I did was take a piece of fuel line and glue it to a funnel, the fuel line will fit right over the valve of the tire, this will take an hour or more but pour it in. Also use the winter washer fluid the summer stuff will freeze and wreck your tires in the winter.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/moremorelawnmowers?feature=mhee
jaymz_eric

PostSubject: Re: I need more pulling power!!!!   I need more pulling power!!!! Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2012, 9:52 am

so i guess if i do all the stuff you guys mentioned, my only other obstacle would be belt slippage, I wish there was a way to put a driveshaft on a mower or make it chain driven and still use the clutch lol
Back to top Go down
moremorelawnmowers
moremorelawnmowers

PostSubject: Re: I need more pulling power!!!!   I need more pulling power!!!! Icon_minitimeNovember 14th 2012, 3:26 pm

Just put a tighter spring on the clutch and/or get a tighter belt maybe an inch or 2.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/moremorelawnmowers?feature=mhee
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I need more pulling power!!!!   I need more pulling power!!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

I need more pulling power!!!!
Page 1 of 1