All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Lift or lower Murray chain drive?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
MurrayMudderr
MurrayMudderr

Lift or lower Murray chain drive? Empty
PostSubject: Lift or lower Murray chain drive?   Lift or lower Murray chain drive? Icon_minitimeNovember 24th 2012, 10:54 pm

I want to either lift or lower my new Murray chain driven mower i want to know which is easier.
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Lift or lower Murray chain drive?   Lift or lower Murray chain drive? Icon_minitimeNovember 24th 2012, 11:13 pm

they are probably just as hard, but since yours in chain drive(I sort of wish I started out with mine like that) all you should need to do is cut the brackets holding the bearings onto your frame and put a block between the cut area or to notch out part of the frame depending on what you want to do. Also your ging to have to probably extend the chain if you lift it and if you have a brake rotor on the rear axle you will have to move the brackets. and for Paint I dont really know, I personally like sticking with the stock paint or restore it to stock.
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Lift or lower Murray chain drive?   Lift or lower Murray chain drive? Icon_minitimeNovember 24th 2012, 11:24 pm

figure out what you want to do, and we can help you realize your dream
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Lift or lower Murray chain drive?   Lift or lower Murray chain drive? Icon_minitimeNovember 25th 2012, 7:22 am

Lowering would be the easiest - the front axle can be solid mounted up in the chassis - the rear ( depending how low y want it) can be as easy as swapping a set of different smaller wheels on.

I had a mild mod MTD - wanted to do on the cheep with stuff i had around - i swapped pulleys, raised the front axle to the top of the chassis and bolted it solid - i took the tall stock back tires off and put some lower profile tires on ( used tubes ) - it lowered it a good couple inches just doing that.

I lowered the seat to the top of the chassis and cut the fenders to go lower also - it handled really good - felt solid and wasnt tipsy in the least going around corners.
Back to top Go down
MurrayMudderr
MurrayMudderr

PostSubject: Re: Lift or lower Murray chain drive?   Lift or lower Murray chain drive? Icon_minitimeNovember 25th 2012, 4:28 pm

Well i guess first now i got to get to run it wont even turn over i found the clutch safety switch and put it back on and still nothing so i jumped it off the solenoid but then it wouldnt shut off
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Lift or lower Murray chain drive?   Lift or lower Murray chain drive? Icon_minitimeNovember 25th 2012, 4:38 pm

did you try to bypass the solenoid?

If it didn't shut off with the key, I would suspect an ignition switch or wiring problem
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
MurrayMudderr
MurrayMudderr

PostSubject: Re: Lift or lower Murray chain drive?   Lift or lower Murray chain drive? Icon_minitimeNovember 25th 2012, 7:53 pm

How would i go about lifting it up i saw one done by arild365 and idk how to go about doing the rear end part need help
Back to top Go down
BlackMountian88
BlackMountian88

PostSubject: Re: Lift or lower Murray chain drive?   Lift or lower Murray chain drive? Icon_minitimeDecember 10th 2012, 8:10 pm

I find lifting easiest for the rear, you just add a spacer, and lowering easier for the front, cause you can usually get away with flipping the front axle right over! I lifted and lowered the tractor in my profile pic! alien
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lift or lower Murray chain drive?   Lift or lower Murray chain drive? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lift or lower Murray chain drive?
Page 1 of 1