All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How do you lift mower????????

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
tralme98
tralme98

How do you lift mower???????? Empty
PostSubject: How do you lift mower????????   How do you lift mower???????? Icon_minitimeDecember 1st 2012, 11:50 pm

Hi I am very new to this forum and am enjoying it A LOT, I have a question regarding my project im doing if you want to check it out its in project builds then look for MTD Lawn Machine Mudder. My question is how would you lift a mower up a couple of inches so I can have bigger tires and better ground clearance. Thanks.

-Trent Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: welcome   How do you lift mower???????? Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2012, 2:11 am

If you really want to know, there is not only alot of folks on here to help, but you can also see alot of how too's on youtube.

I have a personal youtube Playlist of many in the community, The first person on the list has many videos reguarding just what you are looking for, pay a visit and subcribe to some of the others!

Click this link! Mower Community
Back to top Go down
matthew sidor
matthew sidor

PostSubject: Re: How do you lift mower????????   How do you lift mower???????? Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2012, 3:06 am

how tall do you want it lol
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: Reply    How do you lift mower???????? Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2012, 7:03 pm

Probably only six to eight inches. lol your avatar picture!
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: reply to junkstarbuilds   How do you lift mower???????? Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2012, 7:05 pm

yeah thanks for the link this isk really helpful but i think ill do a pully swap before anything else. thanks again.

- Trent
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: Pulley swaps!!   How do you lift mower???????? Icon_minitimeDecember 2nd 2012, 7:17 pm

tralme98 wrote:
yeah thanks for the link this isk really helpful but i think ill do a pully swap before anything else. thanks again.

- Trent

Yeah there are a few videos on pulley swaps..I have one, alexmanvideos has one, and ofcourse FearlessFront has one or two..SO, enjoy..and make a video..Ill add you to the list!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do you lift mower????????   How do you lift mower???????? Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2012, 12:12 am

The only problem is its an MTD - MTD's have a center variable pulley, 2 belts and a 'single speed' transaxle - itd be difficult to modify the existing setup without a lot of modifications.

The easiest way to get around that is to find a manual transmission , use some sort of drop pulley ( to match trans pulley) or extend the trans pulley up to the motor pulley level.

Youll need to come up with a custom clutch setup, the stock MTD setup is intregral with the variable pulley .

You can do a pulley swap, i did on a mild mod MTD i built a while ago, only thing is the transaxle pulley is splined and offset . Id also suggest drilling and tapping the transaxle case for zerk fittings - they whine pretty bad stock- itll whine worse when spinning faster.

Youll also need to adjust your speed linkage - at stock settings even with a pulley change, it wont make a difference in speed - just dont adjust the neutral setting, or your tractor wont stop or even clutch.
Back to top Go down
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator
Junkstarbuilds
Administrator

PostSubject: My recent video   How do you lift mower???????? Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2012, 12:20 am

If you watch my recent videos on my speed mower, you will get a glimpse of what I had to do to adjust the thing rom a MTD stock to custom clutch and pulley set up..

https://youtu.be/skn1MjkHmb8

https://youtu.be/J0zSv1gb_p8

Offcourse, I was slightly lowering my front end, and I know you are raising yours..but,maybe itll give you some Ideas
Back to top Go down
matthew sidor
matthew sidor

PostSubject: Re: How do you lift mower????????   How do you lift mower???????? Icon_minitimeDecember 3rd 2012, 11:15 pm

Mines a 8 in rear lift and 6 in front to compensate for the 22s in the front

http://atltf.forumotion.com/t1070-monster-muddy-orange
Back to top Go down
jaymz_eric

PostSubject: Re: How do you lift mower????????   How do you lift mower???????? Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2012, 3:51 pm

Ive seen some crazy lifts around my area.....I swear to you guys, one person actually used wooden blocks as giant spacers on the rearend mounts to push the transaxle down.....and then for the front, they just made really...really long spindles that pushed the wheels down but kept the steering components in the stock position lol
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: reply    How do you lift mower???????? Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2012, 8:13 pm

Yea if yours is eight inches in the back maybe ill just like do a four inch lift
Back to top Go down
tralme98
tralme98

PostSubject: reply    How do you lift mower???????? Icon_minitimeDecember 5th 2012, 8:14 pm

Tractor modding is really rare in my area well it might be because i live in a city with a pop. of over 30,000 people. But I live in a rural area and I have a lot of space.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you lift mower????????   How do you lift mower???????? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you lift mower????????
Page 1 of 1