All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

pulley swap info and suggestions

Go down 
+4
Tractor Man Jeff
Doug
Ariens YT11
jaymz_eric
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jaymz_eric

pulley swap info and suggestions Empty
PostSubject: pulley swap info and suggestions   pulley swap info and suggestions Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2012, 9:55 pm

ok guys i got another question for ya about my LT1000 and a pulley swap. As of now i have 18x9.50x8 inch carlise ag tires but i need a little speed when im toying around the trails and my yard. I dont want to do 50mph but sumtin like 15-20 mph would be nice. I have the stock 3-3.5 inch up fropnt on the briggs 16.5hp and the stock 10inch on the rear.....any suggestion, I'd prefer to keep my front pulley the same...can i switch the rear to a smaller one and get more speed with the front left stock? thanks for any advice!
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: pulley swap info and suggestions   pulley swap info and suggestions Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2012, 10:07 pm

If you want more speed go to a 6" or 7" pully.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: pulley swap info and suggestions   pulley swap info and suggestions Icon_minitimeDecember 28th 2012, 10:22 pm

Easiest would probably be to buy a pulley for the rear, around 2-4". I know when I swapped my pulley on the Agway the first time I went down to a 2 1/2" and got around 15mph on a flat straight with the stock front.

Or you can put a bigger pulley on the front, but thats a little trickier.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: pulley swap info and suggestions   pulley swap info and suggestions Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2012, 7:21 am

On my LT1000, I the largest pulley up front that It could handle without modding the clutch.( 5" pulley) On the rear, I put either a 3" or a 4" pulley. That put me at about a good 15mph.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: pulley swap info and suggestions   pulley swap info and suggestions Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2012, 4:00 pm

1:1 is a good ratio for most mod tractors - you dont need extreme pulley changes for drastic changes either ( besides having to get a new belt and other clearance issues) - on my 11HP agway with a 3 speed - i did a simple 4" motor and 7" trans pulley and in 3rd it went pretty decent ( wanted a lil more then stock geriatic speed) - but i ran into clutch issues and belt issues. Ive since went back to stock with it , since im going to mow with it again.

Doing a simple foot/hand throttle will net a lil more power also - can be controlled alot easier then the stock throttle.
Back to top Go down
avrappy

PostSubject: Re: pulley swap info and suggestions   pulley swap info and suggestions Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2012, 4:22 pm

Hello. I'm new. I have a 90's Craftsman .It had a 15hp B&S.It's got a 5 speed shift on the fly trans. I put a 8 hp B&S. It had a 3" front & 9" rear.I put a 2'' pully on the rear and it goes good. I don't know how fast it goes yet. Nothing here in N. IDAHO but snow & ice. 1st, 2nd is cool. 3rd is ok, I can barely get into 4th so far under half throtle. It is all over. Havn't tried 5th yet.It's got the stok 20/10/8 on rear and 15/6.60/ 6 on front. It's a hoot with just a 8hp .Reverse is as fast as it was in forward with the stock pully. will post pic.s later. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: pulley swap info and suggestions   pulley swap info and suggestions Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2012, 4:32 pm

Any smaller then a 3" on the back will give issues - there isnt enough pulley to wrap a belt around . Id suggest putting fresh oil/grease in the trans or itll self destruct .
Back to top Go down
avrappy

PostSubject: Re: pulley swap info and suggestions   pulley swap info and suggestions Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2012, 5:40 pm

I put in another tentioner. I'm planning on putting zerk fittings in the trans. The cold weather is helping. I don't run it hard or run it fast for long. I might go with a 3'' soon. bounce
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: pulley swap info and suggestions   pulley swap info and suggestions Icon_minitimeDecember 29th 2012, 10:05 pm

Instead of getting a new belt, I rigged up a double idler pulley assembly to take up the belt slack. All the parts came from the mower deck. No money spent.
pulley swap info and suggestions DSC_0432
Back to top Go down
avrappy

PostSubject: Re: pulley swap info and suggestions   pulley swap info and suggestions Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2013, 2:49 pm

Update.. I found out I had a 4 speed, not a 5 speed. Replaced the 2.5'' front stock pulley with a 3.5''. Third is now like 4 was & I havn't tried 4th. Bloody fast for icey road. . Reverse is like 2nd was. Driven output is like 6300rpm from 4500rpm. I thought about a 5'' pulley in the front. Would be too much. 9900rpms.
Back to top Go down
craftworks125

PostSubject: Re: pulley swap info and suggestions   pulley swap info and suggestions Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2013, 10:44 am

The middle pulley in the picture should be a V pulley not a flat, just so you dont wreck your belt.
Back to top Go down
Tuffy55

PostSubject: Re: pulley swap info and suggestions   pulley swap info and suggestions Icon_minitimeJanuary 22nd 2013, 11:30 am

ya ok craftworks Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: pulley swap info and suggestions   pulley swap info and suggestions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

pulley swap info and suggestions
Page 1 of 1