All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle?

Go down 
+3
dangeroustoys56
Doug
jaymz_eric
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jaymz_eric

How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle? Empty
PostSubject: How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle?   How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle? Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2013, 12:29 pm

so yeah just totally ruined my 3 spd trans axle....it came off my 70s model dynastar and the thing is built like a tank. the problem started when the input shaft came off with the pulley, so i figured i'd open it up and put all back together...HA YEAH RIGHT...I finally got it opened up and a pile of gears, shift levers and parts all fell out and i have no idea where they went....I do find it intresting tho that it was so well built it actually has a heavy duty differential housing like that in a car inside it. no markings on it either to tell who made it or anything.....maybe i can post a pic and you guys tell me what kind it is or how to put it back together lol
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle?   How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle? Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2013, 2:56 pm

You took it apart too fast, not to mention removed the pulley wrong if the input shaft came with it. When I pull transaxles apart, I go really slow and shake the top housing gently to make sure everything that falls out falls out where it should normally be.

But yea, post up some pics and maybe something can be figured out.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle?   How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle? Icon_minitimeJanuary 7th 2013, 4:08 pm

Usually the main gears and stuff stay in the bottom part of the case - just the input shaft goes up with the top half - unless the bushings were sticky and went up with the top half.
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle?   How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle? Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2013, 1:02 pm

Someone had posted a good diagram of those 3 speeds, and how they go together. Not sure where it is on the website, have to search some.
Back to top Go down
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle?   How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle? Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2013, 4:53 pm

Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle?   How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle? Icon_minitimeJanuary 11th 2013, 12:27 pm

Naw, looks like one of the cast iron high/low range ones, that are on bigger tractors, with the input pully on the side. Peerless 600's are pretty simple to put together
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle?   How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle? Icon_minitimeJanuary 12th 2013, 1:25 pm

My 69 wheelhorse raider 10 has a 3 speed hi/low trans with the side input - i had mine apart and it seemed straight forward to put back together.

I tell ya- that is one beefy transmission - only issue i had were the input shaft bering/seals were literally gone.
Back to top Go down
Crazymudder
Crazymudder

PostSubject: Re: How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle?   How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle? Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2013, 10:14 pm

I love that transmission let me know I know it very well rebuild them many times pm me i can make a video if you want since I have one apart right now just let me know (:
Back to top Go down
Crazymudder
Crazymudder

PostSubject: Re: How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle?   How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle? Icon_minitimeJuly 22nd 2013, 10:16 pm

I love that transmission let me knowing you have any questions. I know it very well I have
rebuild them many times pm me i can make a video if you want since I have one apart right now just let me know (:
Back to top Go down
MowBandit
MowBandit

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle?   How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle? Icon_minitimeJuly 23rd 2013, 12:29 am

ok according to my tecumseh/peerless maunal that could be 5 types a 1200-1400-1700-2000-2300 those are the types it sounds like just google them and look at pics
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle?   How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do I rebuild a 3 speed transaxle?
Page 1 of 1