All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

How to swap engine pulley on a briggs?

Go down 
+4
dked41
thatrandomguy
offroadredneck
Mark288
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Mark288
Mark288

How to swap engine pulley on a briggs? Empty
PostSubject: How to swap engine pulley on a briggs?   How to swap engine pulley on a briggs? Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2013, 11:06 am

Hey guys, i have an mtd mower. 18 hp opposed twin cyllender. I did a rear pulley swap, with the 3 inch (steel) welded it to the shaft, becasue i had too many problems with the aluminum ones. Anyway, the pulley that comes off the crankshaft on the engine, how do you take that off? the stock is a 3.5 inch i think, thats too small for me. I took the bolt out and its like machine pressed in there and me or my dad coudnt get it off. Any of you guys know how to take that off? Any info is much appreciated. Thanks
mark Very Happy
Back to top Go down
offroadredneck
offroadredneck

PostSubject: Re: How to swap engine pulley on a briggs?   How to swap engine pulley on a briggs? Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2013, 1:11 pm

Make sure you
took the center bolt of and try a pully puller
Back to top Go down
thatrandomguy
thatrandomguy

PostSubject: Re: How to swap engine pulley on a briggs?   How to swap engine pulley on a briggs? Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2013, 1:15 pm

buy or make a puller.
i couldnt get my pulley off last week so i made a puller myself out of flat stock and long bolts.
if you dont know what these pullers look like here's a picture
How to swap engine pulley on a briggs? Pullytrekker-3-arm-300240_zps9c956e71

i made one with two arms.

i can make a picture if you want?
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: How to swap engine pulley on a briggs?   How to swap engine pulley on a briggs? Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2013, 2:24 pm

Some of the car parts stores rent or borrow tools. A deposit may be required, returned when you bring the tool back.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: How to swap engine pulley on a briggs?   How to swap engine pulley on a briggs? Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2013, 3:28 pm

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: How to swap engine pulley on a briggs?   How to swap engine pulley on a briggs? Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2013, 4:46 pm

Most motor pulley's ive encountered have come off fairly easy , remove the bolt - few taps with a hammer on the deck pulley part and nearly fall off on their own. One pulley on a 12HP teccy i have would fight me all the way , even after never seizing it.

I had one odd one on my 88 kleen kut - instead of a bolt, it had a metal 'slug' holding the pulley on - had to cut the pulley off - that was an 18HP twin briggs opposed.

If you plan on saving the pulley, be careful you dont bend the pulley trying to get it off.
Back to top Go down
tractorboy567
tractorboy567

PostSubject: Re: How to swap engine pulley on a briggs?   How to swap engine pulley on a briggs? Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2013, 7:18 pm

maybe try heating it up, putting penetrating oil on it, or just use a pulley puller.
Back to top Go down
Tuffy55

PostSubject: Re: How to swap engine pulley on a briggs?   How to swap engine pulley on a briggs? Icon_minitimeJanuary 21st 2013, 8:32 pm

I welded a large nut to the bottom of the pulley
then put a small bolt through the nut to act as like a push rod
i threaded the larger bolt into the nut to push on the small bolt.

i switched to longer push bolts the farther i got the pulley off.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to swap engine pulley on a briggs?   How to swap engine pulley on a briggs? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to swap engine pulley on a briggs?
Page 1 of 1