All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast?

Go down 
+3
Chopperhed
TheRainbowBoxer
redneckcarrow
7 posters
AuthorMessage
redneckcarrow
redneckcarrow

Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast? Empty
PostSubject: Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast?   Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2013, 7:48 pm

can a 16.5 briggs push a mower to around 40 mph and still be able to trail ride with gov attached have a 5 speed transaxle to go with it
i know the safty concerns upgrade brakes steering and etc
i know most peaple lock the front but i have other ideas about a suspension for the front and rear
for my idea for the rear google tomcar and check out the website drove one of these in alaska it was a blast
the front maybe something like the twin i beem on the old ford pickups

might have posted this in wrong area

later redneck carrow
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast?   Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2013, 9:01 pm

With a 5 speed you could readily do 40 and still trail ride with that size engine. We ran forever on 11-14 hp engines and split time going fast with going through trails.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast?   Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2013, 9:02 pm

16.5 hp at 3500 rpm or so should be able to hit 40 or so, but your low gear won't be so low anymore.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
AcreFarm
AcreFarm

PostSubject: Re: Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast?   Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast? Icon_minitimeJanuary 29th 2013, 9:59 pm

My mower in semi-original form would top out at 35mph and still had enough low end for trail riding. That was with a 12hp (Not governed) Briggs and 3 speed Foote transaxle on 18" tires.

You should have no issues getting that speed from that engine/trans... you've got more power and a better transaxle than I had at the time.
Setting up a good, working suspension is a different animal all on its own.
Back to top Go down
redneckcarrow
redneckcarrow

PostSubject: Re: Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast?   Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast? Icon_minitimeJanuary 30th 2013, 5:37 pm

thanks guys thought it might
still working out the suspension in my head but getting close i think try to use things i have laying around the garage
now all i have to do is wait for the weather to warm up (live in maine) to attempt this
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast?   Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast? Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2013, 7:38 am

yeah dont expect to be able to haul heavy loads around in a low gear but you'll be able to get 40mph with what you have.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast?   Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast? Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2013, 10:42 pm

Most of the lawn tractor have nylon busting in the front tire, you'd be much better off with barrings.
Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast?   Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast? Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2013, 10:44 pm

yeah ill be doing that on mine for sure.
Back to top Go down
Murray modder
Murray modder

PostSubject: Re: Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast?   Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast? Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2013, 10:47 pm

Make sure you get unground bearing, (they have a lip on one side) f you do, keeps them from wobbling in the rim, and they look good as well.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast?   Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast? Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2013, 5:54 am

I ran a 14.5 OHV governed briggs on a 6 speed murray 'shift on the go' , 6" pulley on motor and 3" on trans - with all stock wheels, that got me around 20-25 MPH - i wasnt happy with it.

I put a 18.5 twin opposed ( governered) on it with 8" tires all around - it went insanely fast , way too fast for a near stock tractor with no brakes - i was hitting around 30-35mph in 3rd - and that was a handful - never did go over 3rd to see what top end was, had my hands full trying to keep from crashing.

Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast?   Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast? Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2013, 6:04 am

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
I ran a 14.5 OHV governed briggs on a 6 speed murray 'shift on the go' , 6" pulley on motor and 3" on trans - with all stock wheels, that got me around 20-25 MPH - i wasnt happy with it.

I put a 18.5 twin opposed ( governered) on it with 8" tires all around - it went insanely fast , way too fast for a near stock tractor with no brakes - i was hitting around 30-35mph in 3rd - and that was a handful - never did go over 3rd to see what top end was, had my hands full trying to keep from crashing.

sounds dangerous but fun Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast?   Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can you mod a mower with a 16.5hp Briggs to go fast?
Page 1 of 1