All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Snapper project

Go down 
+5
dangeroustoys56
crafsmankiller
Doug
13mudman13
redneck999
9 posters
AuthorMessage
redneck999
redneck999

Snapper project Empty
PostSubject: Snapper project   Snapper project Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2013, 11:44 pm

Gentleman, submitted for your approval is a old snapper mower that was given to me from a lean-to find, no pull rope or batt. Bent handle bars and moss growing in the seat foam. Owner claims it ran when he parked it (huh). My original idea was to find a craftsman and lift it but this came alone first. What can i do to this to annoy my village? See this started because the small town i live in wont allow my atv on the road but it will allow golf carts and riding lawnmowers, Grrrrrrrrr! So to regain my peice of manhood and not ride around on a neutering spree i need to do something completely uneccesary to this gem! Commence the ideas!
Back to top Go down
redneck999
redneck999

Snapper project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snapper project   Snapper project Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 12:18 am

Snapper project Mower13
Back to top Go down
13mudman13

Snapper project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snapper project   Snapper project Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 12:25 am

I had one of those for my first tractor that go me started. Bout it for 5 bucks at an auction it run and everything! But now it's scrapped. Honestly those ones are only good for about driving around on grass or something. But I'm not expert. I never did any mods on mine except I always thought about putting a home made gas pedal on it. I hated I mean HATED that techumsea 3.5 or 5 hp that was on it. Has problems from day one. Although I did roll it and those RER Snappers are pretty tough, in my opionion
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

Snapper project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snapper project   Snapper project Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 1:07 am

Major jealous over here, I want one of those Snapper RER mowers.

Anyways, my idea for when I did get a RER was to make it into a wheelie machine. You know, make a wheelie bar for it so it could ride on it.

Unfortunately they are hard to use for anything else.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
redneck999
redneck999

Snapper project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snapper project   Snapper project Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 1:50 am

Among possibilities is building a ridged frame underneath but i would have to crazy on the steering components to support a much larger set of tires. Or i take the spring out from under the seat and lower it as much as possible
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

Snapper project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snapper project   Snapper project Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 8:46 am

MR. Jealous here. You cant really do anything to a snapper, there just not built to be modd-able, theres not many left out there so (in my opinion) you should leave it stock and not modd it. find a craftsman or a newer trartor to mod. just my .02 cents
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Snapper project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snapper project   Snapper project Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 9:44 pm

Snappers have whats called a 'friction disc' setup - a rubber cog wheel on the trans side and a flat metal disc on the motor side - unless the trans setup is swapped out, the stock setup wont work for any serious modding.

I have whats left of a rusted out snapper rer tractor, was pretty much too far gone, cept the motor did run.

I had a couple rer murray's - a red and black one, sold the black one and used the red for parts - i played around with MS paint before selling the one and came up with a lifted look:

Stock:
Snapper project 1995_m10

Lifted:
Snapper project 1995_m11

I figured a straight axle off a 700 peerless trans for the lifted rear, and just basically lower the front axle with bracing. 8" golf kart rims with AG tires would give traction .
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

Snapper project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snapper project   Snapper project Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 9:54 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
Snappers have whats called a 'friction disc' setup - a rubber cog wheel on the trans side and a flat metal disc on the motor side - unless the trans setup is swapped out, the stock setup wont work for any serious modding.

I rode one of those setups in a rer Minneapolis Moline, my stepdad had when I was a kid. It was old then and that was better than 35 years ago.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Snapper project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snapper project   Snapper project Icon_minitimeFebruary 8th 2013, 10:13 pm

Snappers usually have drive issues when the rubber starts to break down, or it needs adjustment - the rubber drive setup on my RER was nearly gone it was so detiriorated ( had sat outside for years behind a shed).
Back to top Go down
redneck999
redneck999

Snapper project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snapper project   Snapper project Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2013, 9:53 am

I'm gonna need an education on this critter. it seems my illusion of a monster are being crushed!
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

Snapper project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snapper project   Snapper project Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2013, 2:59 am

Could maybe do a simple lift by getting some truck all terrains and slapping them on there. Require chopping and modding some old tractor rims but doable.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
CornishMorgan

Snapper project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snapper project   Snapper project Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2013, 9:04 am

There were people with smilier ride on mower like that at the British Lawn Mower Racing Association event. Most of them use Westwood Lawn Bugs.
The use a T-drive box rather then friction drive so they don't have any problems worth water or mud.
Back to top Go down
ibdalovely1
ibdalovely1

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

Snapper project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snapper project   Snapper project Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2013, 10:50 am

i have 3 of these i thought about putting a straight axle on 1 and a side shaft motor with a gocart clutch
Back to top Go down
RCTankboy

Snapper project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snapper project   Snapper project Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 12:28 pm

I have one of these. The Briggs 11hp just died. I was thinking about doing the straight axle swap on it as well. Perhaps find an 8 or 10 hp Horizontal motor, slap a torque converter on and see how fast it wants to go. I want a speedy mower as well as my trail mower and a diesel 4wd "Go-Anywhere" mower...

hmmm...ideas..ideas...
Yes....wheelie bar, definitely.
Stretch it a tad?
Some sort of front tire\wheel swap for wide meatier tires..?
Drop the deck, add a gusset the length of that main tube going form the front to the rear?
Gas pedal...Brake pedal...or put the gas and brake on the handlebars like a motorcycle?
Better, more comfy seat, definitely.

Have you done anything with yours, dangeroustoys56?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Snapper project Empty
PostSubject: Re: Snapper project   Snapper project Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Snapper project
Page 1 of 1