All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor

Go down 
+7
Tractor Man Jeff
Doug
CornishMorgan
Chopperhed
TheRainbowBoxer
Ariens YT11
W1ldyOvvnZ
11 posters
AuthorMessage
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Empty
PostSubject: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2013, 4:17 pm

i think someone posted what people thought of running higher octane fuel in there engine and no one mentioned about making your own Octane booster, or Home made ways to raise the octane.

i thought id add a list for Octane booster:

1. using Kerosene as an octane booster. i heard it wasnt that much of a boost and not worth it(it is suppose to be low grade diesel fuel).

2. using Diesel as an octane booster. This seems weird because your not suppose to put diesel in a gas car but apparently it works.

3. using Moth Balls(used to kill moths), i heard alot of good things about this and that it works but it doesn't fully dissolve into the gas and could plug up your filters quick and cause a mess.

4. using Methanol, Apparently if you mix a 10% Methanol into your fuel it will raise the Octane rating from 92 Octane to 94.3, Apparently it will eat away at the fuel lines, etc.

5. using Toluene, it is used to increase the drying time of a oil-based paint, and will raise the octane from 92 to 98.6! but you have to use 30% Toluene to Gas but will start ruining fuel lines apparently.

6. Xylene, Apparently it works great as an octane booster too, it is used for cleaning and thinning. with a 30% mixture it will raise from 92 to 99.5 but will have the same effects as Methonal and Toluene.

if anyone knows of more suggest them.

Some Links to some websites if your interested:

http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/misc/octanebooster.html
http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/358777-Toluene-for-home-brew-octane-boost
Back to top Go down
http://www.stat10.tk/
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2013, 4:31 pm

I use Diesel fuel in my gas and have no problems with it you can also use some used motor oil in your gas but it will smoke a bit.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2013, 4:37 pm

I imagine diesel or motor oil, as long as you don't overdo it would work fine. Bonus - since they are both oil based, it should help lubricate rings, valves, etc.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2013, 5:09 pm

TheRainbowBoxer wrote:
I imagine diesel or motor oil, as long as you don't overdo it would work fine. Bonus - since they are both oil based, it should help lubricate rings, valves, etc.
a guy i work with said he had a small little beater car and had an 1/8th tank of gas left and he knew he wouldnt make it to a gas station in time so he pulled over and had diesel in his trunk and he mixed it 50/50 and then put cardboard infront of the rad so it would stay warmer and made it home, he didnt use it as an octane booster but as an addition fuel. He said it would stall out after 1/2 throttle but it does run but if it was cold it wouldnt start(he said that when he got home he didnt fill up and in the morning he had to take another vehicle to get fuel). So i dont think its a waste of fuel if you put too much diesel into your gas.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2013, 5:38 pm

If you are worried about lubricating the rings, low ash 2 cycle oil would work better and burn cleaner.

As for octane boost. On low compression enginea like these, its a waste of money.

Only in cases of radically advanced timing adjustments, or major increases in compression ratio is Octane booster required.

Unless you have a really poorly tuned engine hauling a big load.

Now, for worn engines with really low compression, there is a product I've used it all kinds of engines.

It's called Restore, and it uses tiny copper, silver, and lead particles combined with engine heat, to fill scratches and grooves in the cylinder wall and other wear survaces, like valve guides, and bearings.. The CSL particles melt and form a solder like alloy that bonds to the scratches.

Its not a permanent solution, but it does extend the life of your engine.
http://www.restoreusa.com/restorer.html

I love this stuff. I've used it in a 75 Trans Am, a 76 Charger, The OL's Jeep TJ in 2 engines. Honda dirt bikes, Lawn mowers, etc.

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
CornishMorgan

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2013, 5:41 pm

TheRainbowBoxer wrote:

Haha oh the clag Very Happy
I love seeing diesels clag.
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2013, 6:10 pm

W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
TheRainbowBoxer wrote:
a guy i work with said he had a small little beater car and had an 1/8th tank of gas left and he knew he wouldnt make it to a gas station in time so he pulled over and had diesel in his trunk and he mixed it 50/50 and then put cardboard infront of the rad so it would stay warmer and made it home, he didnt use it as an octane booster but as an addition fuel. He said it would stall out after 1/2 throttle but it does run but if it was cold it wouldnt start(he said that when he got home he didnt fill up and in the morning he had to take another vehicle to get fuel). So i dont think its a waste of fuel if you put too much diesel into your gas.

I believe diesel needs more heat to ignite and more compression, thats why you dont use it in a cars engine. You should be filling up with gasoline unless its dire, like that guy you work with.

I think the diesel is a different weight from gas so it will end up separating as well.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2013, 7:47 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:
W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
TheRainbowBoxer wrote:

I believe diesel needs more heat to ignite and more compression, thats why you dont use it in a cars engine. You should be filling up with gasoline unless its dire, like that guy you work with.

I think the diesel is a different weight from gas so it will end up separating as well.

He only ran it because it was a beater car and he got it for $50. After he was talking about the car he started saying why he even tried it(other then he needed to get to the gas station), he was saying the old Multi-Fuel Tractors would run on gas until they were hot then you would switch over to diesel, something like that, i forget what he said exactly. Stretch44875 would know more about them probably, they had Multi-Fuels in the Military Trucks.
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2013, 11:03 pm

Now days diesel has lower sulfur which is the lubricant that, in the older days, kept the injection system lubed up. Now they wear out twice as fast thanks to the freakin EPA.
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2013, 11:18 pm

I use regular gas with Methanol (Alcohol) which ever u wanna say it. Never had a problem. Motor runs good and nice. To be honest ive used regular gas with 92 octane gas, Racing Fuel, and methanol mixed all together lol.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2013, 11:44 pm

Just pay the extra pennies to buy a good qualtiy fuel, and keep your engnine tuned up.

The best most economical way
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 15th 2013, 11:48 pm

Chopperhed wrote:
Just pay the extra pennies to buy a good qualtiy fuel, and keep your engnine tuned up.

The best most economical way

Or buy fuel treatment to get rid of the ethanol. I have some but havent used it yet. I might start using it in the Agway.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2013, 7:43 am

Unless the motor is designed to run ethanol ( like flex fuel vehicles) - its not good to let it sit in the system - ethanol draws in water( causing corrosion)and deteriorates rubber pieces.

Octane boost only works in modified motors, i ran 93 octane and 104 octane boost in my 18HP twin, didnt notice any difference in power at all - one thing that supposedly can increase performance/power - oil - supposedly 'royal purple 'oil reduces friction in a motor and gives more power - at $8 a quart its expensive tho. I bot a couple quarts meaning to see what itd do, but never got around to it.

I used to run 92 octane in my regular yard mower, but ended up going back to regular - ended up getting too expensive with the large yard i mowed.

Back to top Go down
W1ldyOvvnZ
W1ldyOvvnZ

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2013, 10:38 am

we run premium in are lawn mowers all the time, normally costs about $30-$40 to do the lawn(it also burns less fuel, with regular we fill up the gas tanks once and get one cut out of each tank, with premium we get 2 cuts and a bit, but we use 2 mowers to cut).

$8 a quart for royal purple is expensive? we pay $15 a quart where i live, $8 a quart for quaker state non-synthetic oil. i should really make a trip to the states...id probably save alot of money:P

i am probably going to take and old tecumseh motor and test out the "home made octane booster", maybe ill run some straight alcohol:P id do it with a small briggs motor but none of them are running
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2013, 12:34 pm

W1ldyOvvnZ wrote:
we run premium in are lawn mowers all the time, normally costs about $30-$40 to do the lawn(it also burns less fuel, with regular we fill up the gas tanks once and get one cut out of each tank, with premium we get 2 cuts and a bit, but we use 2 mowers to cut).

$8 a quart for royal purple is expensive? we pay $15 a quart where i live, $8 a quart for quaker state non-synthetic oil. i should really make a trip to the states...id probably save alot of money:P

i am probably going to take and old tecumseh motor and test out the "home made octane booster", maybe ill run some straight alcohol:P id do it with a small briggs motor but none of them are running

Do your research.
Octane has nothing WHATSOEVER to do with fuel economy, and It will NOT give your engine more power. If You want your engine to make more power, give it higher compression, Open up the air filter and exhaust, open up the ports, and adjust your timing, then run your high octane

All octane does is help fuel resist detonation due to poor tuning, bad timing, heavy loads or high compression.

Chances are, The difference in economy you see is caused by different quality fuels. Chances are your regular gas comes from a different supplier than the premium.

The station I cuurently use sells fuel refined by Esso, If I go to fuel refined by Hughes Petroleum, I lose 25% of my mileage right off the top, just from the poorer quality gas.

You won't get alcohol to run correctly in a stock BS engine.

Remove all the fins, shrouds, and fins on the flywheel, and it may run decent with drastic mods to the carb.
Alcohol has a different stoichiometric ratio than gasoline.
Alcohol doesn't make enough heat. Take a look at what alcohol drag bikes do to run.
Back to top Go down
theswampmachine

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 16th 2013, 1:02 pm

Something I do just for fun is add some scented fuel additives to my gas. I'm running grape right now and i love it. Here is a link where you can buy it.

http://www.jegs.com/p/Manhattan-Oil/Power-Plus-Fuel-Additives/746462/10002/-1
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitimeFebruary 23rd 2013, 9:30 am

We have 95 and 98 in the pumps in Norway, I never thought about you guys having lower octane. And Kerosine is purer than diesel, at least over here, so we use kerosine to clean our diesels once in a while. And run a tank of 98 octane once a month maybe, tho now it's not necessary with newer cars.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor   Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Home Made Octane Booster for your Lawn tractor
Page 1 of 1