All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?

Go down 
+9
dangeroustoys56
Stretch44875
crafsmankiller
Tractor Man Jeff
Marines2621
Chopperhed
TheRainbowBoxer
Thunderdivine
TheEquineFencer
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TheEquineFencer

Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Empty
PostSubject: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 12:38 pm

Is there a problem with running a transaxle upside down? Instead of having the drive pulley on top, if you flip the rear end and have the pulley on the bottom, woudn't that work too? The reason for the flip is to get everything as low profile as possable. The engine pulley would line up better with the drive pulley.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 12:43 pm

And rotate the other way?
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 12:44 pm

Nope, it'll still turn the right direction.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 12:45 pm

Then u should be good, when running grease in it, what are you building ?
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 12:51 pm

I'm looking at what I have to work with right now and getting my game plan right. I want to build something like a "'Gator" with the engine in the rear under the seat. I have a lead on a Golf Kart front end that is IFS and may graft it to a whole new rear section I'll build out of 1x2 tubing I have here. I'll come off the Transaxle with a chain/sprocket and take it to another axle with bigger tires on it.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 6:37 pm

Actually , thunder is correct. Unless you also rotate the axle it will go backwards.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 6:39 pm

Use a FNR rear and swap the direction labels,
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 7:05 pm

Humor me, go out side and take a "spare" transaxle, rotate the pulley the same direction as the stock OEM runs, just like it sits in the mower. Then turn it upside down and turn it the same rotatation, as if it's running off the same mower engine. The wheels will turn the same direction. It's just running on the other side of the gears inside. Axle rotation is the same but the gears on the inside are running "backwards." You can do it with a straight cut gear but will wear a bevel cut gear out if it's like a ring and pinion in a car. tTry it and see what happens before you get too judgemental. You may need to flip it and rotate it 180*, but it will work. You guys are getting ready to learn something from and "Old HotRodder." Let me know what you find out.
Back to top Go down
Marines2621
Marines2621

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 7:35 pm

Better have a grease type kind of transaxle, if its oil than u will burn it up cause it wont get oiled correctly
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 7:57 pm

EDITED TO ADD - TEF is correct. My explanation is incorrect. The transaxle is running in reverse, but you do get all forward gears going forward as long as you spin it 180. Sorry for the confusion guys.

TheEquineFencer wrote:
You may need to flip it and rotate it 180*

Exactly... that is what I meant when I said you will also have to turn it around. I didn't say it wouldn't work, just that if you don't also turn it around, you'll go backwards. Of course, (assuming it isn't an FNR like Chopper said) then you will only have 1 speed forward and several speeds backwards. Doing this with a transaxle is a bit different than swapping around and rotating a rear end ala a hot rod. No judgment from this quarter at all, just stating a mechanical fact.

Edited: to clarify FNR vs typical multi speed transaxles used by offroaders.

Chaos Build

Haspin 2021 thread

Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Last edited by TheRainbowBoxer on February 25th 2013, 6:56 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 7:59 pm

TEF has a valid pint, straight cut gears don't care wich way you spins them, but other gear set styles do.

In addition most of the time, reverse is a different ratio than forward.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 8:02 pm

EDITED TO ADD - TEF is correct. My explanation is incorrect. The transaxle is running in reverse, but you do get all forward gears going forward as long as you spin it 180. Sorry for the confusion guys.

I believe I have heard about the straight vs. bevel cut in multi directional applications. No argument there.

Chaos Build

Haspin 2021 thread

Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Last edited by TheRainbowBoxer on February 25th 2013, 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 8:18 pm

Go flip and turn one around and see if you do not have the same direction axle rotation with all the forward gears. And yes, it better be a grease type rear end. Humor me, someone else try it. I saw a dropped and lowered one and thought the same thing until I tried it. It was set up for roundtrack racing.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 10:02 pm

I do not want to sound condescending or anything, but I'm not sure how to clear this up without taking the opposite side of what has appeared to become a debate. Sorry if any offense is taken, as none is intended.
I actually do not need to get a physical transmission to try this with... I can demonstrate what happens with a simple diagram. Let's say you simply take the transaxle and flip it over without taking the belt off...

Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Pulley10

Once you have done this, from your view, the pulley on top (now bottom) of the transaxle is rotating in the opposing direction. Once you take the belt off and put it back on "correctly", the pulley will be running in the original direction from your point of view, but will actually be running backward. This physically makes the gears run backward. Spinning the transaxle 180 will make the Tires turn in the correct direction, but the transaxle still is running backward. There will be one forward gear (formerly reverse), and as many backward gears as were previously forward.

Again, not trying to be a punk about it, just trying to clear things up.

Chaos Build

Haspin 2021 thread

Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Last edited by TheRainbowBoxer on February 25th 2013, 6:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tractor Man Jeff
Tractor Man Jeff

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 24th 2013, 10:52 pm

Your fine man. Very simple diagram explains a lot. Hey guys, just grab a transaxle and see what it does instead of trying to make an unknown point. No use bickering about it.
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 6:29 am

Tractor Man Jeff wrote:
Your fine man. Very simple diagram explains a lot. Hey guys, just grab a transaxle and see what it does instead of trying to make an unknown point. No use bickering about it.

I second that motion.
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 6:46 am

OK, think about this. If you rotate the axle upside down, just "flipping" it left to right, it will run backwards, then rotate it 180* it will run the right direction. The rear of it is now facing forward, this will change the direction of wheel rotation.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 6:49 am

While barely awake, I realized I am wrong on this. When you spin it 180 you are actually running the transaxle in reverse, but getting all forward gears in forward. I hate being wrong and now I have egg on my face. Sorry about the holier than thou response. Wow. Props TEF, sorry about that.

Chaos Build

Haspin 2021 thread

Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 6:52 am

I'm starting to feel like the Wright brothers, everybody telling me it won't fly! I'm hoping someone else on here will do it.
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 6:55 am

TheRainbowBoxer wrote:
While barely awake, I realized I am wrong on this. When you spin it 180 you are actually running the transaxle in reverse, but getting all forward gears in forward. I hate being wrong and now I have egg on my face. Sorry about the holier than thou response. Wow. Props TEF, sorry about that.

Just try it, is the easiest way to be sure. You'll feel better about it then. Trust me, you'll see a light come on!
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 6:55 am

No, you are fine... sometimes I get something in my head one way, and once convinced, its hard for me to see it the other way. I edited my original rebuffs with header letting people know I was wrong. Sorry man.

Chaos Build

Haspin 2021 thread

Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 7:08 am

No problem.
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 7:13 am

I know most folks in here are "lifting" mowers, I figured it would make building one better if you got everythig lower on the same plane.

I'm going out to work on my fenders I cut and bent wrong now. i "flipped" the metal the wrong way and cut the edge of the flange wrong. I guess I was just looking at it in the wrong perspective! LOL, we all make mistakes, I'm living proof.
Back to top Go down
crafsmankiller

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 8:39 am

it would work if you rotated it on the axles, then the pulley would be lower. i just got a idea that this would be great for a lowrider!!
Back to top Go down
TheEquineFencer

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 25th 2013, 8:40 am

crafsmankiller wrote:
it would work if you rotated it on the axles, then the pulley would be lower. i just got a idea that this would be great for a lowrider!!

Did I just hear a light come on or what?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?   Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is it possible to "flip " a transaxle?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next