All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor?

Go down 
+4
dangeroustoys56
Ropertractor14
motorhead45102
arild365
8 posters
AuthorMessage
arild365
arild365

what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor? Empty
PostSubject: what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor?   what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2010, 10:51 am

Hwy guys, i just wanted to know what type of oil do you guys use in your tractors? I heard you should use Castrol HD30 SAE 30, is this a good choise for the summer? Il be doing alot of driving and wanto know whats best for torque. any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
motorhead45102

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor?   what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2010, 12:08 pm

well if i don't have much money i always get Briggs and stratton 30 weight, but if i have lots of money i get a good brand like mobile 1 fully synthetic 10w 40 for hot long uses. and the 40 weight of mobile 1 has oil seal conditioners for older engines, but i only added alittle bit of lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer of what was left from when i added it to my car so not much was added to my mowers, but the lucas stuff is amazing, if you have an oil leak or it burns oil put that stuff in, not the whole thing maybe 1/4 of the bottle and rest regular oil, and it helps the oil withstand really high temps and also lowers friction due to its slimmy feel.
Back to top Go down
Ropertractor14
Ropertractor14

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor?   what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2010, 1:01 pm

I put SAE 30 in all my stuff. If the engine doesn't have hydraulic valve lifters plain old 30 will work the best during the summer.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/GMCsierra1500
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor?   what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeJune 19th 2010, 1:46 pm

Ive used everything from 10w30, 10w40 , 5w30 and sae 30 weight- most suggested oil is 30 weight by manufacturers.

If you change/check it regularlly- dont over rev the motor it should be fine.

As added insurance in y tractors i use Lucas oil motor oil additive - a few ounces every oil change- ive never had any motors let go on me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor?   what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2010, 2:46 pm

motorhead45102 wrote:
well if i don't have much money i always get Briggs and stratton 30 weight, but if i have lots of money i get a good brand like mobile 1 fully synthetic 10w 40 for hot long uses. and the 40 weight of mobile 1 has oil seal conditioners for older engines, but i only added alittle bit of lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer of what was left from when i added it to my car so not much was added to my mowers, but the lucas stuff is amazing, if you have an oil leak or it burns oil put that stuff in, not the whole thing maybe 1/4 of the bottle and rest regular oil, and it helps the oil withstand really high temps and also lowers friction due to its slimmy feel.

I run mobile 1 fully synthetic 10w 40 too, i just put that in my 97 craftsman.
Penzoil is good too.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor?   what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2010, 5:25 pm

I forgot to mention- i used to use havaline alot ( cant find the stuff anymore) and castrol - then i found out BP makes castrol , so i quit using it ( why fund thier screw ups in the gulf- make them suckers pay out of thier pockets).

Most time i use valvoline, penzoil , quaker state - i bot some mobil 1 on clearance - i change them often enough to not really worry.
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor?   what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2010, 5:52 pm

Normally I just run generic SAE 30 , or Motomaster lawn mower oil, in the winter when it gets REALLY cold that SAE 30 won't flow I use 10w30 or 10w40 (generic brands) and lately I've been using heavy-duty diesel 30 weight, as our mowers are used harshly, seems to work very well.
Back to top Go down
CMHN
CMHN

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor?   what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2010, 9:02 pm

I run the cheapest oil I can find. 30wt in the summer, 10W30 in the winter. It doesnt really pay to use the expensive stuff because you should change it every season anyway. Most of these tractors dont have filters so changing the oil is how you get the impurities out of the system.

Synthetic is overkill for garden tractors, costs way to much and since you have to change it regularly anyway, why spend the money.
Back to top Go down
http://ctraugh.blogspot.com/
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor?   what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2010, 10:29 pm

CMHN wrote:
I run the cheapest oil I can find. 30wt in the summer, 10W30 in the winter. It doesnt really pay to use the expensive stuff because you should change it every season anyway. Most of these tractors dont have filters so changing the oil is how you get the impurities out of the system.

Synthetic is overkill for garden tractors, costs way to much and since you have to change it regularly anyway, why spend the money.

I agree, I change my oil more often than recommended even, for what it's worth, about 4$ a change.... Keep a motor like new is worth it in the long run.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor?   what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2010, 5:23 am

I just bang 10w30/40 in my motors. Always seem to start fine, even in the winter.
I just buy large 5 litre bottles for cheap from the cash'n'carry.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor?   what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeSeptember 9th 2010, 10:03 am

Chunk wrote:
I just bang 10w30/40 in my motors. Always seem to start fine, even in the winter.
I just buy large 5 litre bottles for cheap from the cash'n'carry.

Yeah me too, walmart over here by me was good oil in 5qt jugs for 15-20 bucks, thats what i always do.
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor?   what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor? Icon_minitimeSeptember 12th 2010, 7:35 am

Id like to try some royal purple in mine, I just put that stuff in my car. Works well, and it lasts alot longer. Also keeps engine temps down, thats why Harely guys swear by it.
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor?   what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what type of oil in your off road lawn tractor?
Page 1 of 1