All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

12hp Briggs bogs down when taken over bumps/ steep grades

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Theworktractor
Theworktractor

12hp Briggs bogs down when taken over bumps/ steep grades Empty
PostSubject: 12hp Briggs bogs down when taken over bumps/ steep grades   12hp Briggs bogs down when taken over bumps/ steep grades Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2013, 9:30 pm

Hey guys just a quick question. When ever I'm out riding my tractor and I hit a decent bump or go down a hill with larger rocks, my engine like bogs down and sometimes so much is almosts shuts off. I am curious about this (still havn't taken apart carb) if my needle is sticking or out of place? Just an annoying problem I've been having which gets annoying on long trips so any advice or help is appreciated! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Theworktractor
Theworktractor

PostSubject: Re: 12hp Briggs bogs down when taken over bumps/ steep grades   12hp Briggs bogs down when taken over bumps/ steep grades Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2013, 9:34 pm

Also forgot to add that it backfires sometimes after it bogging down or when I shut it off.
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 12hp Briggs bogs down when taken over bumps/ steep grades   12hp Briggs bogs down when taken over bumps/ steep grades Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2013, 9:37 pm

I'd look at your float level and the needle and seat first.

But it sounds like a carb/governor issue.

Clean the carb, especially the really tiny holes on the main jet.
Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Theworktractor
Theworktractor

PostSubject: Re: 12hp Briggs bogs down when taken over bumps/ steep grades   12hp Briggs bogs down when taken over bumps/ steep grades Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2013, 9:39 pm

Okay thanks! I'll pull it apart and check them out. Usually I just use a small paper clip to clean those but I am afraid it just pushes the gunk farther in? Thanks again for the quick reply!
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: 12hp Briggs bogs down when taken over bumps/ steep grades   12hp Briggs bogs down when taken over bumps/ steep grades Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2013, 9:55 pm

Question: is the seat safety switch still hooked up? Maybe the bump is lifting you off the seat and the engine kill kicks in just long enough to bog the engine down.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Chopperhed
Chopperhed

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 12hp Briggs bogs down when taken over bumps/ steep grades   12hp Briggs bogs down when taken over bumps/ steep grades Icon_minitimeApril 10th 2013, 10:47 pm

Theworktractor wrote:
Okay thanks! I'll pull it apart and check them out. Usually I just use a small paper clip to clean those but I am afraid it just pushes the gunk farther in? Thanks again for the quick reply!

Never use metallic tools on a jet unless you want to change the jetting. Use Carb cleaner, and compressed air, use a straw from a broom if you need to unplug something.

paper clips are made out of steel.

steel is harder than ANY material used in a carb. steel will scratchand gouge jets and passages, causing the mixture to change.

There are millions of sites online dealing with the proper care and maintenance of carbs of all sorts.

Back to top Go down
http://http:\\members.shaw.ca\ducksgarage
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 12hp Briggs bogs down when taken over bumps/ steep grades   12hp Briggs bogs down when taken over bumps/ steep grades Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

12hp Briggs bogs down when taken over bumps/ steep grades
Page 1 of 1