All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Empty
PostSubject: What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?   What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2010, 9:46 am

I'm thinking of swapping my pump fed opposed twin into a gravity fed mower. Since the same motor came in gravity fed configuration I'm sure it's possible but I'm very new to small engines. So what exactly would I need to do? Pull off the pump obviously.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?   What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2010, 10:09 am

why would you rather have it gravity fed? cause if you do then you can't hillclimb cause as soon as the carb gets higher the engine cuts out...
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?   What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2010, 12:21 pm

Yeah, I'd stick with the fuel pump, although pretty lame, they get the job done. Most of the time.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?   What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2010, 1:53 pm

Well, I read where someone had a pump, but they ran a tank higher than the carb, and it had flooding problems. So it's either move the fuel tank somewhere else, or switch to gravity feed. I'm not opposed to the pump, especially since I rebuilt it last week. I just want it to work properly though.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?   What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2010, 2:26 pm

Id stick with the pump too - those twins are hungry for fuel - i dont think a gravity fed tank would work that well. Most my twin cylender pumps have never been rebuilt and still work great. A good way to see how much fuel is flowing to the carb: use a short piece of clear fuel rated tubing - its probably a good idea to replace those old rubber fuel lines anyway - they do detiriorate over time and can clog or contaminate the fuel going into the motor.

The majority of my twins use the carb mounted fuel pump - however my 18HP opposed horizontal has this huge vacuum fed fuel pump on the plate that mounts behind the motor- that tank is running from the back of the tractor and really needs it.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?   What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2010, 2:34 pm

That sounds like the pump on my twin, vacuum operated and tank under the seat. So if I swap this motor into a mower with the tank under the hood, will it still run right, not flood?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?   What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2010, 2:45 pm

Should work fine- my hydro murray's tank is under the hood and still uses the pump - so's my MTD with an 18.5HP twin - had my modified 94 murray with the 18.5HP opposed on it- same setup- ran awsome- and fast!
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?   What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2010, 4:13 pm

Oh good, that makes things a lot easier. Now to find a tank. The stock one is missing. I suppose I could always make one from sheetmetal if I could find something good for a filler and cap.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?   What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2010, 5:41 pm

a good idea i saw was to buy a plastic filler can like this;
What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? 228-0310
then just tap a hole in the bottom and make it water tight, then when you need to fill it you could take it off and fill it! simple
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?   What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2010, 6:32 pm

Yeah, Ive always wanted to use a 5 litre gas can for a fuel tank.

That was me who had the flooding problems. It was stuck float, which coincidently happened right after I had the fuel tank mounted up above the pump. Mad Shear conincidense though. You should be fine running it like that. cheers
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?   What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2010, 6:35 pm

Cool, good to hear. I only remember about half of what I read, haha. The gas can is a great idea as well. What type of sealant/adhesive would you guys suggest for the barb fitting at the bottom to attach a fuel line? Needs to seal tight and hold up to fuel.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?   What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2010, 6:38 pm

put a pipe in and use silicon, if you don't want it to move later alien

redneck solution's fae DUNC

Last edited by bigbleuboy on July 7th 2010, 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?   What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2010, 6:39 pm

RTV sealant m ight work, cant rembmer if that holds up against fuel though.

My immedate thought was becuase it was mounted up high, because that was the only thing that had changed for the test run. Through me off. It had no filter on it, and I guess it just had crap in the line. So theres another lesson for you, even if you're just test running something, use a filter! lol. Could save you a head ache.
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?   What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2010, 6:43 pm

Absolutely, filters are there for a reason. I was helping a neighbor get their push mower running the other day. No filter, left outside in the rain. Turned out to have a blockage in the fuel line too, which under compressed air shot through the garage like a BB. Lack of maintenance amazes me. Stuff costs too much to just let go like that.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?   What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2010, 6:50 pm

I know, but without your average "Harry Homeowner", and people having too much money, I wouldnt have most of the machine I do!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?   What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Icon_minitimeJuly 7th 2010, 10:34 pm

Dont use RTV - a bolens i got from my wifes step brother ( redneck engineered the crap out of it) - he mustve cut the tank with a grinder- was a narrow cut near the bottom- he plugged it with RTV ( unbeknowst to me) and after i filled it half full with gas- i wondered why the next day it was empty.

Id say use an epoxy or if youre drilling a slightly tight hole ( need to thread it thru the tank) use a gasoline proof rubber gromit on both sides and put it near the opening to put a retaining nut on it.

Yeah its amazing what people do to save money when working on tractors - ive had alot of them - my 84 dynamark- the guy welded the front deck bracket to the deck and welded the one cracked side at a weird angle as well ( crappy weld also) - my 99 weedeater had seized spindles and no deck blades - my 90 task force had hob jobbed wiring but oddly enough i drove it home around the corner- to name a few.......usually i make sure the motor runs, then look at how much itd take to fix it , then decide to fix or parts it - another thing that makes my mind up is if i like how it looks- then it doesnt matter- it comes apart and i go thru the whole thing.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?   What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What do I need to do to swap a fuel pump to a gravity fed one?
Page 1 of 1