All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

14 hp tecumseh horizontal leaking oil out of top end

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Minimechanic
Minimechanic

14 hp tecumseh horizontal leaking oil out of top end Empty
PostSubject: 14 hp tecumseh horizontal leaking oil out of top end   14 hp tecumseh horizontal leaking oil out of top end Icon_minitimeApril 17th 2013, 8:51 pm

I have a bolens h14 that i love to death but its leaking oil out of somewhere in the top end, the motor runs good and the oil level doesn't have any changes i can see, anybody know what this may be and if i should be worried?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: 14 hp tecumseh horizontal leaking oil out of top end   14 hp tecumseh horizontal leaking oil out of top end Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2013, 6:22 pm

Give the engine a good cleaning and then run it like you normally would. Check back often, and it should only be a matter of time before you see the source of the leak.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 14 hp tecumseh horizontal leaking oil out of top end   14 hp tecumseh horizontal leaking oil out of top end Icon_minitimeApril 24th 2013, 7:10 pm

Minimechanic wrote:
I have a bolens h14 that i love to death but its leaking oil out of somewhere in the top end, the motor runs good and the oil level doesn't have any changes i can see, anybody know what this may be and if i should be worried?
Mabe the seal is bad undernethe the flywheel causing it to leak oil.
Back to top Go down
Minimechanic
Minimechanic

PostSubject: Re: 14 hp tecumseh horizontal leaking oil out of top end   14 hp tecumseh horizontal leaking oil out of top end Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2013, 4:50 pm

I found out that the o-ring is bad on the bottom part of the valve vent (its a horazontal shaft) so im not really going to change anything but i MIGHT put an atv exhaust on it because it sticks out the side then points forward and the packing is shot in it. So maybe a stock atv exhaust would make it sound sick
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 14 hp tecumseh horizontal leaking oil out of top end   14 hp tecumseh horizontal leaking oil out of top end Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2013, 8:06 pm

Minimechanic wrote:
I found out that the o-ring is bad on the bottom part of the valve vent (its a horazontal shaft) so im not really going to change anything but i MIGHT put an atv exhaust on it because it sticks out the side then points forward and the packing is shot in it. So maybe a stock atv exhaust would make it sound sick
Yeah it should almost sound like a atv.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: 14 hp tecumseh horizontal leaking oil out of top end   14 hp tecumseh horizontal leaking oil out of top end Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2013, 12:11 pm

What oil are you running and can it handle it? If you run synthetic oil make sure the rubber seals are made for it. All newer engines should be fine. But synthetic is a killer for older engines.

Seals should be Nitrile Rubber IF you use Synthetic Oil.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 14 hp tecumseh horizontal leaking oil out of top end   14 hp tecumseh horizontal leaking oil out of top end Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

14 hp tecumseh horizontal leaking oil out of top end
Page 1 of 1