All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Test Light for Dummies

Go down 
+2
Seth Chester
Doc Sprocket
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

Test Light for Dummies Empty
PostSubject: Test Light for Dummies   Test Light for Dummies Icon_minitimeJune 30th 2013, 2:59 pm

Howdy folks!

This has come up a couple times lately. When someone is facing an electrical issue and is forced to shoot in the dark trying to sort it out.
"Have you got a test light?"
"No."
"****!" (LOL)

I have put together a super basic test light that anyone can make with free crap they have laying around. Takes maybe 5-10 minutes and only requires you to have a soldering iron.

Materials:

-A few feet of wire, 16-18ga is fine but there's lots of wiggle room here.
-A 12v automotive light bulb. I used an 1157 taillight bulb, you may use a different one.
-Two nails, and/or alligator clips, and/or some stiff wire (your old throttle wire!), rivet shafts, whatever you have
-Electrical tape

Putting it together is easy. Clean up the contacts and base of the bulb with sandpaper, wire brush, whatever. Cut 2 lengths of wire, a couple feet each. From one wire, strip about 3" of insulation off one end, and twist the individual conductors together. Wrap it around the base of the bulb, twist, and solder. Strip 1/2" off one end of the other wire, and solder to the + contact of the bulb. Now, strip and attach the free wire ends to what you've got. For this demo, I used an old alligator clip I found, and a 3" framing nail. To attach to the nail, I stripped 1" or so of insulation, wrapped it around the nail a couple times, and soldered. Be sure to clean the solder area of the nail with sandpaper. You can use other things you have laying about as a probe. Lastly, wrap the bulb base in electrical tape to avoid unwanted short-circuits, and if you used a nail or wire as a probe, wrap most of the shaft and the head, leaving maybe 1/2" exposed.

Presto! Instant freebie test light! Now- If you can lay hands on a bulb socket and a couple crimp-on alligator clips, you can make a solderless version. Easy-peasy! If you've got better goodies laying around, you can make a really slick verion. I made one a few years ago using LED's- If you set them up opposing, you get a 3-function test light that will indicate + and - DC polarity, as well as indicating AC.

Test Light for Dummies Img02010
Test Light for Dummies Img02011

Back to top Go down
Seth Chester
Seth Chester

PostSubject: Re: Test Light for Dummies   Test Light for Dummies Icon_minitimeSeptember 13th 2013, 6:19 pm

Good Thinking There.
Back to top Go down
nathan wilson
nathan wilson

PostSubject: Re: Test Light for Dummies   Test Light for Dummies Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 12:46 am

lol, good one.
Back to top Go down
kieranruffell

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Test Light for Dummies   Test Light for Dummies Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 1:56 am

One of the simplest circuits ever!  lol! 
Although very handy to have  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Test Light for Dummies   Test Light for Dummies Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 11:44 am

Yup- and that's the point. There is NO excuse not to have a basic test light of one form or another, and I really don't understand how you can live without one. Electricity is invisible. You NEED something to see it, and that "something" can be dirt simple.
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Test Light for Dummies   Test Light for Dummies Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 1:11 pm

well, there's always the "Hold the sparkplug in your mouth" test for spark... You laugh... at 8 Years old my dad called me over and said "hold this wire and tell me if I'm getting spark... As he pulled the cord on our old lawnmower...
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Test Light for Dummies   Test Light for Dummies Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 2:00 pm

Lawren Wimberly wrote:
well, there's always the "Hold the sparkplug in your mouth" test for spark... You laugh... at 8 Years old my dad called me over and said "hold this wire and tell me if I'm getting spark... As he pulled the cord on our old lawnmower...

Explains a lot lol.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Test Light for Dummies   Test Light for Dummies Icon_minitimeMarch 23rd 2014, 2:24 pm

yeah... I GET that a lot LOL. This is the same man that would send me out under a tree to find nuts... Then when I didn't find any, he'd say "I see ONE from HERE!" And ya all wonder why I have such a sick sense of humor...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Test Light for Dummies   Test Light for Dummies Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Test Light for Dummies
Page 1 of 1