All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

direct steer?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
arild365
arild365

direct steer? Empty
PostSubject: direct steer?   direct steer? Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2010, 12:01 pm

kk guys so i dont wanna sound stupid Razz but what is direct steer? ive heard alot of racers do it and i just wanted to no what exactly you have to do? im working on a racer and wondering if i should do it. If any of you are youtubers and could make a vid or some pics itd be reallly really really really appreciated!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
redzz02
Site VIP
redzz02
Site VIP

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2015
1st Place Winner Build-Off 2015
1st Place Build-Off 2017
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2017
1st Place Build-Off 2018
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2018

direct steer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: direct steer?   direct steer? Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2010, 3:10 pm

i just recently made a racer my self wich was pretty fun. direct steering is different from the steering on a regular tractor. normaly there is two gears that then one is connected to a rod which connects your steering linkage to your axle. with direct steering there are now gears there is just a rod that has the steering arm from it down to the axle. so imagine torque there are the two gears and the arm that comes from the bottom of the frame for steering, picture taking out the gears and running a straight steering shaft and at the end of it a piece of flat stock with a hole welded onto it at 90 degrees with your steering arm connected to that. i know im not good at explaining thinngs so if you just didnt understand a word i just said go onto www.heymow.com and go under "builds"and you will find every build has direct steer , hope that helped
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

direct steer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: direct steer?   direct steer? Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2010, 4:05 pm

Direct steering has no slop- its instant - on a racing tractor if it had any sort of slop in the steering- theyd crash at the speeds they run . They also put the front axle at 10 degrees for easier steering - some also make adjustable spindles to lean the wheels in or out for better handling.

Heres a direct steer setup:
direct steer? Direct10

Ive been reserching stuff like this for a while to build my new modifed tractor correctly - stock just wont cut it.

Direct steer can aslo be applied to an offroad tractor as well.
Back to top Go down
Farmster
Farmster

direct steer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: direct steer?   direct steer? Icon_minitimeOctober 19th 2010, 10:34 pm

looks good I used to race go karts. know all about them damn tricky ass spindles u adjust them to far and u wouldnt get shit in the race. adjust them just right and u where up front. what u planin on with motor and rear axle for this mod?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

direct steer? Empty
PostSubject: Re: direct steer?   direct steer? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

direct steer?
Page 1 of 1