All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

MTD Wizard 'go kart' build

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Ford Boi

MTD Wizard 'go kart' build - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD Wizard 'go kart' build   MTD Wizard 'go kart' build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 16th 2010, 4:17 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
I was thinking of using a idler sprocket or a plastic idler pulley on a spring to keep tension on it ( or both). Wish i had some old snowmobile sliders ( they mounted under a snowmobile track chassis) - thatd be perfect - ill have to call my dad n see if theres an old pair up at the house.

Its possible its a 160- has the 3/4" crankshaft diameter.

We used plastic idler pulleys on 2 of our bikes, they work really good, one bike I actually used a wide flat steel idler, also works well and doesn't wear the chain!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MTD Wizard 'go kart' build   MTD Wizard 'go kart' build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2010, 6:56 am

I called pop- he said hed stop by a snowmobile shop and get a slider cover for me - we probably threw out a good dozen or two used sliders over the years ( we replaced them every year cause theyd wear thru) .

Ford Boi: Yeah i saw that trick on a lawntractor racing site - some even use machined skatebord wheels ( square notch cut in them)- have quite a few plastic idler wheels around, so ill use them and the slider.

Trcustoms: Yepper - ill get pics when progress on the tractor resumes.
Back to top Go down
Trcustoms
Trcustoms

PostSubject: Re: MTD Wizard 'go kart' build   MTD Wizard 'go kart' build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2010, 9:05 am

Cool, i didn't know you were into snowmobiles.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MTD Wizard 'go kart' build   MTD Wizard 'go kart' build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2010, 1:53 pm

Yeah ive owned a couple since i started snowmobiling when i was around 10 yrs old. 1st was a 1974 440 arctic cat panther - beast of a sled - even had electric start. Sold that n dad gave me his 1979 arctic cat el tigre 5000- i still have it back at my folks in the back of my old shed. Yes- both of them rode like 2x4's - the suspensions were very caveman style compared to the 2' of travel today. Dad had an '88 arctic cat wildcat 650 - thing was an EFI, oil injected , water cooled monster- he put all kinds of diggers on it so it had wicked traction. Once i ran it down a back road up north- i had it up to 110mph - it had more throttle , but that was plenty fast for me. In comparison, my sled was topped out at about 80mph and that was a really rough 80mph.....

Every fall we'd tear the sleds nearly completely apart , and go thru them cleaning, greasing, adjusting everything- and replacing bits and pieces needing replacing.

Pop and i would take off a couple times each winter and head tward the Adirondaks ( a few hours north of the house) and spend a week snowmobiling all over - the scenerey was amazing , it was pretty neat ( and a bit scarey) on how desolate some areas were ( specailly w/o a cell phone- was no help) but also how quiet it is waaay out in some places- shut off the sleds and its like totally silent.

One year we were heading out just as i had a midterm exam in middle school ( was one of those half year courses ) - teacher was like " you know youll be missing the exam- right? " I was like " hey - im going snowmobiling for a week - i could care less" - the funny bit was the day before leaving, the teacher gave me the midterm test, so i didnt miss it and get an F - i actually couldve cared less back then.

Another funny bit was once i broke my finger and had this huge cast on - i was like " I dont give a crap- im going snowmobiling!" - i put like 3 pairs of clean socks over my cast and went on the trip.

i was pretty gung ho about sledding back then - like screw everything and just go.

Back to top Go down
Trcustoms
Trcustoms

PostSubject: Re: MTD Wizard 'go kart' build   MTD Wizard 'go kart' build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2010, 3:01 pm

Sounds like when my dad was around we always were out on our quads.
I always wanted a snowmobile but here in Delaware we hardly ever get snow. Sad
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: MTD Wizard 'go kart' build   MTD Wizard 'go kart' build - Page 2 Icon_minitimeNovember 17th 2010, 7:12 pm

Years ago up at the house we'd get a bunch of snow- lately its been sorta light , not to mention alot of the local trails are closed ( due to property selling/property owners angry at people abusing the trails) - last few years i just rode around the yard/field before finally parking it- pop sold his sled long before that tho.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MTD Wizard 'go kart' build   MTD Wizard 'go kart' build - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MTD Wizard 'go kart' build
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2