All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Im having trouble with my 12hp briggs starting.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
SoaresMudder94
SoaresMudder94

Im having trouble with my 12hp briggs starting. Empty
PostSubject: Im having trouble with my 12hp briggs starting.   Im having trouble with my 12hp briggs starting. Icon_minitimeNovember 7th 2010, 9:49 pm

Hello there guys. i am currently building a mudder/offroad tractor. i used it all of last week with no problems then 2 days ago. it was running amazing still yesterday i did not use it. but then today i went to go out for a ride. it would not start. it cranks good, theres good spark. i cleaned the carb, checkd valves. everything seems to be ok. but i think that the intake is not letting gass go into the intake to fire the engine. but there is a good gas flow. it is new gas aswell. Help needed. thanks
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Im having trouble with my 12hp briggs starting.   Im having trouble with my 12hp briggs starting. Icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2010, 1:01 am

Check the gas line and if theres a fuel filter- check that as well. If theyre old, change em. I had a curious issue with my one dynamark- kept having fuel issues, turns out the port from the gas tank ( where fuel line hooks) was crushed when i used a hose clamp on it- i took the tank off, put a small piece of copper tubing in there and it fixed the issue.

As a fluke- disconnect the magneto kill wire and see if it starts- if it does, the ign switch might be bad ( that happened as well on the same tractor).
Back to top Go down
Ford Boi
Ford Boi

PostSubject: Re: Im having trouble with my 12hp briggs starting.   Im having trouble with my 12hp briggs starting. Icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2010, 11:15 am

Make sure there's no water in the system, that always seems to be a silent killer. And check the flywheel key- is that's broken you'll get your spark but at the wrong time.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Im having trouble with my 12hp briggs starting.   Im having trouble with my 12hp briggs starting. Icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2010, 1:21 pm

good point- forgot about those things - i had a RER with a broken flywheel key - thing was 180 degrees off, would suck in air thru the muffler and exhaust thru the carb .... water in the gas is another annoying issue as well .
Back to top Go down
SoaresMudder94
SoaresMudder94

PostSubject: got er goin!   Im having trouble with my 12hp briggs starting. Icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2010, 8:34 pm

UPDATE:
Thanks for everyones help, it was none of those tho, i tryed all of them and none of them worked and everything was ok. so i said **** it and i grabedd the gas tank n filled the carb up to the top n turned it overr. she turned on and stayed running for over 30 mins and i turned it off and on high revs low revs. so i am guessing the day it sat.. all the fuel got outta the system and the choke may not be working properly? but i got it going just by given her a prime thanks for everyones help (Y)
Back to top Go down
Trcustoms
Trcustoms

PostSubject: Re: Im having trouble with my 12hp briggs starting.   Im having trouble with my 12hp briggs starting. Icon_minitimeNovember 8th 2010, 10:49 pm

SoaresMudder94 wrote:
UPDATE:
Thanks for everyones help, it was none of those tho, i tryed all of them and none of them worked and everything was ok. so i said **** it and i grabedd the gas tank n filled the carb up to the top n turned it overr. she turned on and stayed running for over 30 mins and i turned it off and on high revs low revs. so i am guessing the day it sat.. all the fuel got outta the system and the choke may not be working properly? but i got it going just by given her a prime thanks for everyones help (Y)

Yeah, some times old briggs don't like the cold, if the choke wasn't working then it never would have started without a prime.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Im having trouble with my 12hp briggs starting.   Im having trouble with my 12hp briggs starting. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Im having trouble with my 12hp briggs starting.
Page 1 of 1