All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Peerless 820 axle questions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TheEquineFencer

Peerless 820 axle questions Empty
PostSubject: Peerless 820 axle questions   Peerless 820 axle questions Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2013, 7:59 am

I hope this is helpful to others as well as myself. From what I've been reading, the Peerless 820 is a pretty HD transaxlle. I'm looking into using one to build an UTV built from scratch. I see a lot of info about installing the -017 kit in a standard 820-XXX transaxle. http://www.heymow.com/index.php?topic=14202.0 What is the real purpose of this? I also see installing the high speed gear set from http://roms-peerless-transaxle-supply@ecrater.com/
If I only want/need 30-40 MPH out of the transaxle, would I be better off with a pulley change or doing the gear swap? Next question is about engagement. Instead of using a drive belt like the OEM does like a clutch, either engaged or disengaged,would it work better to use a centrifugal clutch with a pulley or chain drive to the 820-XXX transaxle? I see I'd limited on the centrifugal clutch pulley size. I'm not sure it would give enough belt contact if I went 1:1 because of the limited pulley size available for the clutch. I want to keep it as simple as possable, no jackshafts ect, just go from the engine to the transaxle.
Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Peerless 820 axle questions Empty
PostSubject: Re: Peerless 820 axle questions   Peerless 820 axle questions Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2013, 8:30 am

My group has done the gear change on the peerless 820s... it works pretty good, but the shifter keys are under considerably more stress, and wear out a lot faster. Ours top out at 45mph by the way.

As long as the clutch is on the slack side of the belt, the OEM style clutch works fine. We did upgrade to 5/8" belts as well which improves grip and lasts longer.

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down

Peerless 820 axle questions
Page 1 of 1