All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Project: Performance Muffler from scratch

Go down 
+8
Craftsman1998
Doc Sprocket
Thunderdivine
Lawren Wimberly
redlinemotorsportts
T-Dub13
Doug
Creepycrawler
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Empty
PostSubject: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 11:46 am

Ive been wanting a new higher flow muffler for my Honda Gx390 on my wheelhorse. this muffler idea could be used for about any motor out there. Ive never tryed it before but flowmaster uses a somewhat similar idea to lower the volume without packing. ON TO THE PICS!
first punch out some disks
Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Null_zpsc8938874

Then arrange them on a 1/4 inch rod

Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Null_zpsa2a6a8c9

Then stick that inside this piece of 3 inch tubing

Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Null_zps43d1141d

then the basic idea is that you have endcaps that the rod gets welded to on either end and obviously the disks all get welded to the rod before hand. the disks have a air gap of about 3/8 to half inch all the way around. anybody a muffler guru around here that can give me some tips comments or concerns? let me hear them !
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 2:48 pm

Thats basically the same thung as a gun suppressor, just the airflow goes on the outside of the baffles instead of through the center. Either way really cool.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 3:38 pm

Doug Fackler wrote:
Thats basically the same thung as a gun suppressor, just the airflow goes on the outside of the baffles instead of through the center. Either way really cool.

That's what I was thinking! It's a pistol silencer made for an engine lol! I bet it would work well. Laughing 

Any updates on this muffler?  Cool 
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 4:29 pm

thats funny you guys caught on to the basis for the idea so quickly, Lets just say I also like my guns alot... I figured if it works for a gun should work for a mower... No updates till thursday as that will be the next chance I get to work on it, tomorrow my Carport Im converting into a garage is coming  cheers bounce  and I work 24 hours wendsday,
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 4:45 pm

Dang im curious as to how it sounds. Do you work at that shop? looks to be a machine shop almost, awesome tools.  affraid 
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 4:49 pm

Creepycrawler wrote:
thats funny you guys caught on to the basis for the idea so quickly, Lets just say I also like my guns alot... I figured if it works for a gun should work for a mower...  No updates till thursday as that will be the next chance I get to work on it, tomorrow my Carport Im converting into a garage is coming  cheers bounce  and I work 24 hours wendsday,

a silencer is a silencer... expanding gases make noise. The only thing I'd change would be to make the bends step around in a spiral... this would make the gases travel a longer path, and create a vortex cancelling out the backpressure from the baffles
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 5:29 pm

It should have different degree bends or size. Looks good tho.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 7:14 pm

ok thanks for the Input, Ill spiral the disks, and I have a idea for changing the flow a bit. to hard to explain in words, Ill get some pics of it thursday

Red, I dont "work" there, its the shop at my dads house, where I wrenched for past 15 or so years (lived at home, started wrenching in there when I was around 10) I just bought my own house, and dont have a garage yet, So Im still doing all my wrenching and fabbing there. It is a machine shop, thats the fullsize bridgeport Knock off in the picture, and it has a Large metal lathe with around a 24 inch throw and around a 3ft bed. I can use it whenever I feel like it. Im very lucky to have such a nice place to "play"  bounce 
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 7:30 pm

That sorta resembles a Supertrapp.
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 20th 2014, 7:32 pm

How does it sound???
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2014, 10:39 am

Ok so I got alot done on this yesterday, just have to get bolts to bolt it to the engine and build the muffler mounts down on the frame so it doesnt over stress my exaust mounts on the motor if a stick hits it or something. first off Im a little disappointed, its louder than I would like. much more quite than no muffler but significantly louder than the factory muffler. I was going for closer to factory muffler quietness. So Im still on the lookout for a honda xr muffler Like the other guys run. or maybe Ill get real motivated and try again with another muffler. Either way enough jabbering on to the pics!

First is the additional supports/baffles I put in the system right after I cut them out.

Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Null_zpsafe76ba5

big middle baffle welding in place

Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Null_zps55de83dd

I then stacked two of the disks that I made a couple days ago in, and welded them in place. then the smaller baffle got installed and welded in. then two more round baffles welded and repeat for the other side. This pics shows about halfway through the process

Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Null_zps63c0aeb4

then made a endcap and welded it on

Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Null_zpsae832379

then built a endcap for the other side, and at this point my phone died so I couldnt get pictures of the finished product  Sad  but it came out nice, Ill grab a couple finished pics today. this could be all in my head but the motor does seem to rev a touch quicker, mabe from less backpressure? not sure, I wont get a chance to test it till it warms up around here, the high for today is 16 here and it is 1 F right now.

Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Null_zpse31d2511

Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2014, 10:47 am

Nice work! Let's hear it! Can you take a vid when it warms up out there?
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2014, 11:40 am

I surely will, I wish I would have taken a "before" video for direct comparison, but oh well. Its suppose to be decent sunday, maybe I can grab a vid then.
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2014, 12:19 pm

That's a great idea to have a comparison vid. I'm planning on doing a similar thread on an exhaust for my Murray. I'll have to do a vid on the stocker before I build a system.

What does your system look like installed? Did you paint it? I've had good luck with VHT brand paint for exhausts.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2014, 2:15 pm

Looks great, can't wait to hear it. - Make sure you mount that thing properly, cause it looks kinda lethal heavy'ish  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member
TroyBilt Pony
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2014, 2:35 pm

If you cut it back apart and wrap FMF exhaust packing around it, it will be much quieter.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 27th 2014, 8:26 pm

Well good and bad news... Good news I got pictures of the finished exhaust, bad news no video... because of broken head studs.
Tdub, Im going to use that paint you recommended, Hope it holds up good,
Thunder, its very lethal heavy lol It will be fully supported by the frame, the mounting flange will just seal the system to the head.
Pony, I dont think that will work for this design, but I think Im gonna build a new muffler part at some point that I can use packing in.
Ill let the pics do the rest of the talking, first up completed muffler
Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Null_zps8d2c4719

Dam broken studs
Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Null_zps6358824c

had to pull the head, Ill put up more pics when I get it fixed, I need a new head gasket now

Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Null_zpsee715f3a
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 1:01 pm

fixed, drilled the old bolts out on the mill and retapped to NC 5/16 picking a head gasket up tomorrow and hopefully riding sunday
Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Null_zpsc926fe75
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 1:46 pm

I love how ya show the good, the bad, AND the ugly in your thread. Some Posts are simply "Braggarts builds".... They had all kinds of problems, but never mentioned them in the write up. We don't get that much here on this site, which is why this place is so conducive to learning. I honestly believe we learn more from seein "what didn't work" than form the solution. Good work brother, lookin forward to more installments.

MightyRaze likes this post

Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 2:11 pm

Lawren Wimberly wrote:
I love how ya show the good, the bad, AND the ugly in your thread. Some Posts are simply "Braggarts builds".... They had all kinds of problems, but never mentioned them in the write up. We don't get that much here on this site, which is why this place is so conducive to learning. I honestly believe we learn more from seein "what didn't work" than form the solution. Good work brother, lookin forward to more installments.

You're absolutely right. We learn from our mistakes, and learning from somebody else's mistakes is a very valuable asset, too. Creepy- you got some good work going on there. Muffler looks very neat, can't wait to hear it.

Back to top Go down
TheRainbowBoxer
TheRainbowBoxer

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 5:06 pm

Some of us don't make any mistakes...  Razz 

Proud member of the Mower Cycle Gang... aka the "Mowrons!"

My build (Chaos is one of 3 built like this)
Chaos Build

The Mower Cycle Gang visited 1puglife in May 2014
Check out the pics and vids!

Haspin 2021 was a blast!  Check out pics and vids here
Haspin 2021 thread

Join us for the annual Mowron-fest at Haspin Acres!
Haspin Acres Rally 2022!

Check out my YouTube for more tractor action, my vlog, and my bus build!
TheRainbowBoxer on YouTube
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 5:37 pm

There are no mistakes... Just a lot of "Design Modifications"
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 5:54 pm

I prefer to call it tweaking...

Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:37 pm

When things don't go as planned, I quickly revert to HACK MODE lol!  But things still go together, just not as pretty as planned. (see my exhaust thread: A hammer was never a planned tool but usually enters into the equation at somne point) Rolling Eyes   Cool

Great thread BTW
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitimeJanuary 31st 2014, 9:50 pm

Creepycrawler wrote:
Well good and bad news... Good news I got pictures of the finished exhaust, bad news no video... because of broken head studs.
Tdub, Im going to use that paint you recommended, Hope it holds up good,
Thunder, its very lethal heavy lol It will be fully supported by the frame, the mounting flange will just seal the system to the head.
Pony, I dont think that will work for this design, but I think Im gonna build a new muffler part at some point that I can use packing in.
Ill let the pics do the rest of the talking, first up completed muffler
Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Null_zps8d2c4719

Dam broken studs
Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Null_zps6358824c

had to pull the head, Ill put up more pics when I get it fixed, I need a new head gasket now

Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Null_zpsee715f3a

Looks great! - And about the video Q,- Make sure it has Stereo sound.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Project: Performance Muffler from scratch   Project:    Performance Muffler from scratch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Project: Performance Muffler from scratch
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next