All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

NEW FORK LIFT IDEA?????

Go down 
+4
Stretch44875
Lawren Wimberly
Doc Sprocket
Camdg2010
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Camdg2010
Camdg2010

NEW FORK LIFT IDEA????? Empty
PostSubject: NEW FORK LIFT IDEA?????   NEW FORK LIFT IDEA????? Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2014, 9:21 pm

Hello guys on ATLTF!!! ive got another bad ass idea!!! do you ever need to move something really heavy, or lift something really heavy or even just hold something up???? well heres another smart idea of mine!!!! its called the Craftsman GT6000 Fork Lift!!! you can make your arm (the one connected to the tractor) as long as you want it and put longer arms (the 4 that go from the support on the tractor to the back support) to make it lift even higher!!! right now in my drawing my guess is that it could lift to maybe 4-41/2 feet high! high enough to get stuff in and out of the truck!!! or even into the back of my gator!!!! the only thing to remember is that its going to extend out from the tractor while it goes up as the lift arms move!!! (not just up and down).... but just remember if what you lifting is close to an object to lift it and back up at the same time!![img]NEW FORK LIFT IDEA????? Crafts15[/img]
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: NEW FORK LIFT IDEA?????   NEW FORK LIFT IDEA????? Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2014, 9:37 pm

Awww, CRAP! I don't have a Craftsman GT6000. Damn.

Kidding. Neat idea... Now build it!
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: NEW FORK LIFT IDEA?????   NEW FORK LIFT IDEA????? Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2014, 9:40 pm

Now- mount the winch LOW, and put a pulley on TOP of the frame. Make a way to either pin the forks up, or have them easily remove. This way, the winch is still useable for winching. Then you can loop the cable over the top pulley for forklift duty.

*Or alternatively, keep the winch high, and put your pulley down low. For winching duty, run the cable DOWN, around the pulley, and out to your tree or whatever you're winching on.
Back to top Go down
Camdg2010
Camdg2010

PostSubject: Re: NEW FORK LIFT IDEA?????   NEW FORK LIFT IDEA????? Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2014, 9:52 pm

Doc Sprocket wrote:
Now- mount the winch LOW, and put a pulley on TOP of the frame. Make a way to either pin the forks up, or have them easily remove. This way, the winch is still useable for winching. Then you can loop the cable over the top pulley for forklift duty.

*Or alternatively, keep the winch high, and put your pulley down low. For winching duty, run the cable DOWN, around the pulley, and out to your tree or whatever you're winching on.
I might put a pulley I bolt on the front of the tractor frame so hook a snatch block to then run the cable straight out the front to whatever is available to hook to.... what size steel should i use?
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: NEW FORK LIFT IDEA?????   NEW FORK LIFT IDEA????? Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2014, 9:53 pm

Your Idea is sound, but missing a lot of key elements. Mower rear ends are light, therefor a counter weight would be needed. The best place to mount such a device would be the rear, where you have the weight of the motor countering lift weight and the bigger tires holding the load.

I also see no side to side bracing. As soon as you try to move a load, the load tries to stay in place (inertia) and will torque the forks and masts side to side on a turn.

This is a workable idea, but one that still has some engineering to go.
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: NEW FORK LIFT IDEA?????   NEW FORK LIFT IDEA????? Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2014, 10:14 pm

Also, you could easily overload the front axle/tires/spindles. Steering would be hard as heck with a load on.

But it could be done, just your lift capacity wouldn't be much.
Back to top Go down
Camdg2010
Camdg2010

PostSubject: Re: NEW FORK LIFT IDEA?????   NEW FORK LIFT IDEA????? Icon_minitimeFebruary 1st 2014, 10:32 pm

Stretch44875 wrote:
Also, you could easily overload the front axle/tires/spindles.  Steering would be hard as heck with a load on.

But it could be done, just your lift capacity wouldn't be much.
how about this instead???[img]NEW FORK LIFT IDEA????? Downlo10[/img]
Back to top Go down
simplicity14twin
simplicity14twin

PostSubject: Re: NEW FORK LIFT IDEA?????   NEW FORK LIFT IDEA????? Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2014, 7:18 am

you could use a plow pump and hook that up instead of a winch
Back to top Go down
WilliesBuilds
WilliesBuilds

PostSubject: Re: NEW FORK LIFT IDEA?????   NEW FORK LIFT IDEA????? Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2014, 8:00 am

Sure looks like a Case 584D got tons at work
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: NEW FORK LIFT IDEA?????   NEW FORK LIFT IDEA????? Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2014, 11:33 am

Throw a suitcase weight rack in front of the steering axle add a way to tilt the forks a bit and your golden
Back to top Go down
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member
Lawren Wimberly
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: NEW FORK LIFT IDEA?????   NEW FORK LIFT IDEA????? Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2014, 12:25 pm

no need really to turn the seat around... just back up into the load, lift, and drive away. Most times on a fork lift you are driving backwards anyway
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: NEW FORK LIFT IDEA?????   NEW FORK LIFT IDEA????? Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2014, 1:59 pm

I think it is a good idea, but I think a serious look at actual weight capacity would be in order. If it will do a couple hundred pounds, it would be handy. I don't think a 1000 pounds is going to be realistic on a GT chassis.
Back to top Go down
Camdg2010
Camdg2010

PostSubject: Re: NEW FORK LIFT IDEA?????   NEW FORK LIFT IDEA????? Icon_minitimeFebruary 2nd 2014, 3:47 pm

Well, its just an idea for people to use when they get sick of seeing that old JD or GT sitting in their yard!! i personally dont have a GT, welder, or the metal and money to do this! it just popped into my head when i was down at my scrap pit! more than likely it would have to be some pretty damn strong metal!!! and that alone would weigh alot!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: NEW FORK LIFT IDEA?????   NEW FORK LIFT IDEA????? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

NEW FORK LIFT IDEA?????
Page 1 of 1