All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Green Monster Biuld

Go down 
+6
hartman83
Chunk
dangeroustoys56
Trcustoms
Jordan
DICE464
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DICE464
DICE464

Green Monster Biuld Empty
PostSubject: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2011, 6:57 pm

Well last summer my grandpa gave me a mower to screw around with. So i decided to turn it into a mud mower so far all i have done is got a hood for it and put on chains and it does pretty good.

What i want to do:

1) Lock transmission

2) Bigger front tires

3) nobbier rear tires

4) 1 to 1 gear ratio

So if you could help me out that would be nice

Green Monster Biuld Go-kar10
11hp craftsmen looking for a twin

Green Monster Biuld Go-kar11
But yah if any body could help with some pics on locking the trans i would greatly appretiate it.

Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2011, 8:10 pm

if your locking the diff and you wanna make a 1:1 gearing you will want to slow down A LOT for turning, i nearly flip mine and its got an open diff so part way through the turn it allows the inside tire to lift and spin so i can slow a bit
Back to top Go down
Trcustoms
Trcustoms

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2011, 8:25 pm

I never locked or seen a MTD tranny locked, should be ineresting to see how it holds up.
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2011, 9:48 pm

yah i have an old foote tranny from my crafstmen but the weld diff in that trany the welds broke so ill have to think about using that
Back to top Go down
Jordan
Jordan

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2011, 9:52 pm

i broke the welds in miine the first time too so i dropped it out and split the case again then this time i welded the shit outta anything and everything that had to do with the diff, it hasnt broke this time lol does yours have the spider gears inside the ring gear? because if you do weld everything in there that mover separate, thats what i did and its great now
and i should say when im turning i always lean out to take the stress off the axle so i dont snap anything again
Back to top Go down
Trcustoms
Trcustoms

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeJanuary 9th 2011, 9:57 pm

theboredredneck wrote:
i broke the welds in miine the first time too so i dropped it out and split the case again then this time i welded the shit outta anything and everything that had to do with the diff, it hasnt broke this time lol does yours have the spider gears inside the ring gear? because if you do weld everything in there that mover separate, thats what i did and its great now
and i should say when im turning i always lean out to take the stress off the axle so i dont snap anything again

Another thing i do with my locked diff mowers is DO NOT lock the front axle from pivoting cause when you go around a corner the
inner tire can lift up a bit, but with a racing mower you don't want that, but for off roaders it's great.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2011, 6:49 am

Never had an MTD in the mud before - not sure how the vari drive would work under those conditions.

MTD transaxles are easy- only thing is the shifter detent ball to keep track of- basically its all just gears inside - the transaxle is basically a single speed trans - all the shifting is done at the variable pulley.

Id take it apart, super clean all the gears, then weld em all together- while youre at it, do the zerks as well - MTD transaxles dont hold gear oil - arent worth it to put seals in em. Since its in there- might as well keep it for now.

I put 3 zerks in my modded MTD- one under each axle section and one right near the main drive set.

Since its a 'special' transaxle- youll need to keep those stock rims and mount a set of atv or snowblower tires ( those are way knobby) OR weld on a set of hubs for a different set of wheels- me i saved the stock rims, mounted a set of shorter profile tires on and lightly ground the axles down to slide the rims on/off easier.
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2011, 7:58 am

i love the vari drive in the mud it actually has more power in reverse than it does forward. Oh and theboredredneck ill try that thanks
Back to top Go down
Trcustoms
Trcustoms

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2011, 10:52 am

DICE464 wrote:
i love the vari drive in the mud it actually has more power in reverse than it does forward. Oh and theboredredneck ill try that thanks

Yeah i do like the reverse in the MTD's! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2011, 1:07 pm

Only time i dont like it is when im hot rodding around and im trying to find neutral - ive hit reverse then forward n flipped over . I use a small c clamp n block reverse only on my fast tractors.
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeJanuary 10th 2011, 5:25 pm

yah mine pulls wheelies when i do that
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2011, 4:16 pm

1:1 is a good ratio, best compromise between speed and torque.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeJanuary 24th 2011, 9:36 pm

okay little update i have 2 johndeere snowmobiles a 400 and a 300 the carbs are both good on them and was just wondering if it would work on my 11hp crafstmen. I have lots of different kinds of intakes. Iwas just wondering if this would give my engine more power. They are all position carburetors so that would definately help.
Back to top Go down
hartman83
hartman83

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2011, 6:49 pm

if you get the cards to bolt up they should work and more gas and air should mean more power
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2011, 1:07 pm

okay thanks now i just have to look for some new tires
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeFebruary 13th 2011, 4:44 pm

BUT- snowmobile carbs use reeds - they might not work exactally right unless tuned specifically to the tractor, plus they use an oil mix - that might also effect the way they work.

A good adapter to a carb intake - an old chunk of radiator hose and adjustable band clamps.

I bot a couple skooter carbs last year for $15 each - i want to try one on my non running 18HP twin opposed, and one on a single cylender motor.
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeMarch 25th 2011, 8:19 am

Alright little update and a change of plans im not going to make it fast and im not going to lock it. I got my old crafstmen reartires that im going to put on the front as soon as i can get my mower over to the shop with the welder.Also, when you guys use bike lever gas pedals do use the cable that came with the bike cause every time i try to do it the cable like freighs and its impossible to get in the throttle cable hole. More pics soon hopefully.
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeMarch 28th 2011, 9:35 pm

Well after sitting all winter idecided to put the 12amp boost tractor battery charger and get her going. She fired right up so i went for a romp heres some pcs of it.
Green Monster Biuld Lawnmo12
Green Monster Biuld Lawnmo14
Green Monster Biuld Lawnmo16
Green Monster Biuld Lawnmo17
Green Monster Biuld Lawnmo18
Green Monster Biuld Lawnmo19
Back to top Go down
jackduup

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 2:17 pm

You need to take of all that mowerdeck crap or cut it off
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2011, 5:59 pm

it doesent really afect it much but i was plannen on doing that
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2011, 8:35 am

So another update. On saturday me and a friend decided to put bigger tires on the front of my mower it isnt finished but its almost done.

Green Monster Biuld Lawnmo20
Green Monster Biuld Lawnmo21
Green Monster Biuld Lawnmo22
Thankyou Feerless For the Video How To Vid.
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2011, 3:34 pm

Looks cooler with the bigger front wheels - youre planning on double nutting or using a nylock nut on the front wheels?

I left the original deck hangars on on my agway when i ran it thru the mud for a few years - since i dragged it here i took all that off - even the stacked engine pulley - that thing would drag in the mud.
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2011, 8:51 pm

i decided so that i dont use as many nuts im going to use lock nuts
Back to top Go down
blanket80
blanket80

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeApril 4th 2011, 9:01 pm

looks like you have a nice build going on. i'm interested to see it finished.
Back to top Go down
DICE464
DICE464

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitimeApril 5th 2011, 7:59 am

yah hopefully ill have another update soon i havent had much time to work on it Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Green Monster Biuld   Green Monster Biuld Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Green Monster Biuld
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next