All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine

Go down 
+9
The1963Chevy
willis923
Ariens YT11
Angchor
camomanusa
richie thomas
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
craftsmancole
jonjunk
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jonjunk
jonjunk

Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Empty
PostSubject: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2014, 1:03 am

Hi guys new to the forum, this is my first post but I have been reading the forums a lot and helped me thru my builds, I have a craftsman lt that I am building currently, it was a hydro 17hp Intek single, now it has been swapped for a 5 speed peerless (920?) Out of my jd stx38 that was a small machine and very flimsy, I find the craftsman easier to work on.

So about the tractor, got it for free and began working on it this week, dropped the, hydro put the 5 speed in it with a new 4 in pulley the stock belt was used by making my own trans mounts I could just slide the tranny back till it was tight enough.
   Made my own shift linkage hooked to the deck lift bar which works great now, rewired the whole tractor to push button start, separate choke cable, also cleaned the carb.

I plan to do a lot more to it like swap the hood out for a more attractive one(anybody got one?), switch to handlebar steering using a set off of a Polaris snowmobile which has a master cyl, hand warmers kill switch and throttle attached I plan to use all of those. Also switch to 25x12x12 tires that I already have, also have a 12" rim set that the centers need to be cut out of (stuck axle). Larger front tires(the rears), and possibly front brakes, winch. And lock the front axle and differential of course.

Also the clutch shakes like mad when released, I believe there is a flat spot on the pulley but I haven't looked yet.

Greetings again from central Minnesota.

I'll post pics asap

Last edited by jonjunk on May 9th 2014, 5:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
craftsmancole
Established Member
craftsmancole
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2014, 2:45 am

I dont know your driving habits, but I personally wouldnt risk snapping my 3/4" axle in half with 25x12x12s. I would look around Craigslist for a Murray gt or something like it that has a geared 1" axle. These tractors usually have 5 lug 12" rims and can withstand those tires.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2014, 7:24 am

Agreed.  Anything over 21'' tall tires is just too much for 3/4'' axles.  I personally would get a peerless 820 if I wanted to run those tire sizes.
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2014, 5:32 pm

you guy are hilarious,
i have yet to snap my axles in dixie, and she is running 27" tires,
Back to top Go down
craftsmancole
Established Member
craftsmancole
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2014, 5:45 pm

Richie, I'm sayin I wouldn't do it cause I've seen 3/4" transaxles break with 23s so I'd find a 1" axle.
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2014, 5:58 pm

maybe, but i haven't snapped anything with mine on dixie, so i dont see what the worrying is about, some people dont think they work, yet some people say they do. i say go for it,
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2014, 6:00 pm

Thanks for the input guys, I'll have to see what I can find at the tire shops junk pile next time I go if theres any 8" tires then I won't have to modify a rim, but right now I have 16" tall knobbys on now but wanted a little bigger so I can put something big on front too.
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2014, 6:07 pm

i say go for bigger tires, i ran a murray with a mst-206 for months with 25" atv tires, and i beat the hell out of it, was pulley swapped to a 1:1
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2014, 6:18 pm

My other idea was use a 9"rim with homemade hubs because 9inch is a little easier to find around the farm I already have a pair of brand new Carlisle strykers that are 25-12-9 for my 3wheeler that I never use on it anyway , most tires I use besides are junk lol, I also have a pair of 22-11-8 that would currently fit but one has a huge tear and they don't match so I would have to patch that tear with extra rubber then foam fill it lol.

Besides that I have a set of bald 20-11-9 holeshots that we plan to stud, and the 25-12-12 Carlisle (stock Polaris sportsman tires) that were all free
Back to top Go down
camomanusa
camomanusa

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2014, 8:48 pm

i love your word choice. "Free" is a liked word in mower building and by me Smile
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 12th 2014, 8:51 pm

Definitely free is the best word, both mowers I got free along with all the tires / extra rims , even the pieces to build my one homemade trailer, and the 12" craftsman rims/ tires, that's why I dont want to buy an 820.

I usually use gently used (scrap) steel and used wiring for my tractors, hope to find the brakes out on the pile too from a junked motorcycle that is already been torn down.
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2014, 12:19 am

Spent the day working on my craftsman today, did the front pulley mod using the deck pulley, clocked it at 17mph which is plenty, worked on my friends atc200.

Then later my friend drove the craftsman into the field for a quick mud run, got stuck and the shifter ended up getting jammed internally, so turns out after we split it the small pin that pushes the shift collar back and forth snapped off so he is going to see what he can do to fix it being a welder but I don't think it's fixable now, unless I order a new part, also one of the front trans hanger bolts cracked off the corner of the case probably when my other friend pulled a wheelie and fell off the back, very comical sight but did a little damage.

Also adjusted the governor so I can go past half throttle not too fast though.

I would have taken pics but we didn't get out to the woods to rise today Sad

Oh and fixed the idler pulley that had two flat spots in it the inner circle was now shaped like a baseball field lol, now there is a steel idler in it's place
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2014, 4:07 pm

jonjunk wrote:
so turns out after we split it the small pin that pushes the shift collar back and forth snapped off so he is going to see what he can do to fix it being a welder but I don't think it's fixable now, unless I order a new part,

Grind the fan surface, level, at the site of the pin.

Drill a small hole. Tap it.

Install a bolt of the right size to replace that pin. Make sure the bolt is as high a grade of bolt as you can find.

Weld on the top side, if need be.
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2014, 8:13 pm

I like the sound of your build, Have you chatted with WellThatSuprising? he is in Bethel MN, and what part of central MN are you from, I was born in Isanti County.
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2014, 8:34 pm

Montrose mn, no updates on the mower today but ordered a front tire for my Honda 200x it's a Carlisle at489 and a tube for my brand new Carlisle strykers that hopefully will be usable on my mower and 200x if I make hubs for the mower out if rims with the centers cut out.
Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2014, 8:46 pm

Sweet, I would like to see some pics, if you can get some let me know and I can get you my email and I can post them for you if you would like.
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2014, 10:12 pm

I wish I would of snapped a few yesterday but now its torn down again with the rearend out of it, although just got news that chad was able to fix the trans piece we just have to grind it to fit then we'll be golden.
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2014, 6:41 pm

Ok got the mower back together and running, works good now and the trans mounts are a lot stronger. Now needs some belt keepers or just never push in the clutch lol!
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 18th 2014, 6:49 pm

bolts work great for belt keepers. drill a hole through the frame, about a 1/4 inch away from the pully, send a bolt in so it keeps the belt on the pully
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 22nd 2014, 8:52 am

Here it is, definitely need a longer belt to slide the trans back a little.

Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine IMAG0224
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2014, 11:47 pm

Found some goodies at the pioneer power swap meet today in Le Seuer, MN. I got a peerless, not sure of model yet but it's different than my 930, possibly an msg 205. Played $10, I wish I would of picked up my other option but it was not as easy to get to the car and it was $20 although it came with rims, and was a 3 spd with high/low. I also got an amp meter and a very small fuel tank for $1 each.
Back to top Go down
The1963Chevy
The1963Chevy

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2014, 11:53 pm

got a pic of the trans?
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 25th 2014, 11:54 pm

No too dark now, It has 3/4 inch axles and a tall shifter lever. Looks very similar to the pics I just looked at online.

Also picked up a 3hp Briggs parts motor for $5.
Back to top Go down
The1963Chevy
The1963Chevy

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2014, 12:00 am

i cant remember if the MST-205 has 3/4 axles or not. i dont think it does, but i could be wrong. there should be a tag on it somewhere
Back to top Go down
jonjunk
jonjunk

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitimeApril 26th 2014, 12:07 am

Ya I will check it out again because I have to move my car Doon and it's in there
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine   Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jonjunk's Craftsman mud machine
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next