All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Hill climbing BEAST

Go down 
+6
Creepycrawler
Stretch44875
Doc Sprocket
willis923
CornShuck4CE
Angchor
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Angchor

Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing BEAST   Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2014, 8:09 pm

This tractor is DEAD!!!

If it tries to move again, I will SHOOT it!!!!

It tried to kill me again today.

People have done some major damage to the ATV trail, by driving their cars and trucks up and down the trail.

Today, the front wheel of the tractor was caught in soem of the trail damage at the most steep part of the top end of the trail, and it tipped over directly on top of me.

If I were not as strong as I am, it would have killed me by crushing my head. I used my arm to deflect it just enough for that not to happen.

Think wheelie, but it just continues right on over, exactly on top of you... And you are more trapped underneath it that you would be on level ground, because when you hit the ground, you are downhill of the rear wheels, and the trtactor is instantly behind you, and on top of you.

I was stuck for a while. I thought my leg was broken because it was all twisted and trapped. I yelled and got no help. So I dug through the gravel until I freed my leg enough that I could then lift the tracter enough with one hand, and able to drag myself out from underneath.

The BEAST tractor is so damaged that I am not even going to try to get it back on the road. I will now spend all my time on the WHAMS tractor...
Back to top Go down
Doug
Site Owner
Doug
Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing BEAST   Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2014, 9:18 pm

That sucks, hope you are OK.

I hate it when people destroy trails. When I was in Scouts they always said "leave no trace", and every time I ride that rings in my head. Dont destroy shared property, dont litter, etc. And usually, if you get caught on other peoples property but arent destroying it youll get a pass. Its a shame other people just dont give a rip though.

Head Forum Administrator ** Chat Moderator ** Facebook Page Admin
ATLTF Facebook Page ** Chatbox ** How To Upload Pictures

_X_ FORUM ANNOUNCEMENTS _X_

Have a question? Ask me! Type in "@Doug" in your post!

Your ATLTF Staff:
Administrators: @Doug, @MightyRaze, @"Doc Sprocket", @Stretch44875
Moderators: @TheRainbowBoxer, @AllisKidD21, @Brianator, @RichieRichOverdrive

Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing BEAST   Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2014, 9:53 pm

Sorry to hear that. Hope all is well. The problem is noone has any regard for the others to follow just let me have my fun. You need a long 4x4 tracter im about to build a tracter you may be interested in. But it is a secret right now wont to build it in the next build off but i might pm you my secret if you have enough intrest
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing BEAST   Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2014, 10:05 pm

This is not a 'for fun' trail.

It is the only access we have to our homes, since the landslide.

And it was never intended for vehicles. Only ATVs.

Unfortunately though, some people believe they are just too important to not be allowed to drive their cars and trucks up and down the trail. Their self-importance is such that they don't care that they are making the trail dangerous for everyone else.

I am working on the WHAMS tractor. The wheelbase is about the same length. But is much wider. It also has a lower center of gravity. And I am putting a bunch of weight on the front. So hopefully, that one will be safer on the trail.
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing BEAST   Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2014, 11:55 pm

I know more weight will help but it could be your enemy to. If its to heavy in the front could cause it to spin more and sounds like you need lingth just as much as width. Somethin i noticed about murrays is the seat is slightly in front pf the tires where most others are right over the top of the rear tires so as you go up a steep sloap it puts you behind the rear tire causing it to tip backwerds more easly. I still think a 4x4 with the rider in the middle would be best for you. My next build is gonna be a utility/work tracter. O and i cant wait to begin
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing BEAST   Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2014, 12:05 am

CornShuck4CE wrote:
I know more weight will help but it could be your enemy to. If its to heavy in the front could cause it to spin more and sounds like you need lingth just as much as width. Somethin i noticed about murrays is the seat is slightly in front pf the tires where most others are right over the top of the rear tires so as you go up a steep sloap it puts you behind the rear tire causing it to tip backwerds more easly. I still think a 4x4 with the rider in the middle would be best for you. My next build is gonna be a utility/work tracter. O and i cant wait to begin

I will completely agree that a longer wheelbase would be a good thing. IF said stretched wheelbase results in the rear wheels being further behind the driver.

And the geometry that results from a steep slope when the driver begins essentially directly above the axle, is exactly as you describe.

I know for a fact, that exactly that... is the biggest reason why this happened today.

Now you have me thinking about the WHAMS tractor, and wondering if I should work on moving the rear axle back a bit further.

I have to take out the vari-drive pulley anyway. Maybe I'll have a look in there and see what it is going to take to move the transaxle backward, and just use the spare front belt, in the back. Hmmm... Maybe even put a smaller pulley back there, to gain even more wheelbase. (And more speed while I am at it.)
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing BEAST   Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2014, 12:22 am

I love it. Moving the rear axel back is going to do more good in my eyes than adding weight in the front. Also say you did flip it agin all that much more weight on top of you. Safty is #1 consern. Then workability. Im glad i got your gears turnin on this dont wont you to get hurt.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing BEAST   Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2014, 12:27 am

This is a good idea.  Just threw this together on paint.  Stretched, lowered a bit.  Ammo Can with gas and battery INSIDE with padlock (bolted or welded to mower frame).  Weight bar to balance out Ammo Can. Along with lowering and stretching you can move the seat forwards.
Pics are a thousand words. Although mostly everything i say there is posted above Razz.
Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 <a href=Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 Beast_10" />

What do ya think Ang?

Last edited by LAWN MOWER MUDDER on July 18th 2014, 12:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : stuff and things)
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing BEAST   Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2014, 12:38 am

CornShuck4CE wrote:
Also say you did flip it agin all that much more weight on top of you.

And that thought, (when it occurred to me as well, one of the many times I have already re-lived watching that hood smashing down toward my face... LOL), is exactly why your suggestion got those particular gears to working, so quickly.

I'll be pulling the rear axle rearwards, if I can. (Leaving the seat in place.) Plus, I am going to get some bolts and make some spacers, and put the wheels out even further than they are now. (One reason I am very thankful for the super beefy transaxle and axle housings on the WHAMS.)

LMM, thank you for taking the time to draw that!

I will be leaving the weight, forward. And I can't move the seat forward, because then I will not have any room to sit on the tractor! LOL

If I still have problems when the rear wheels are as far back and to the sides as I can get them... Then I might consider a wheelie bar.

But I don't see how a wheelie bar can help any, when the problem is that the trail itself is extremely steep, and has the entire tractor almost in a wheelie position, even before it begins to 'wheelie'. LOL

Thanks again, guys. I think I'll take further discussion on the wheelbase, to the WHAMS thread, from here.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing BEAST   Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2014, 12:45 am

Angchor wrote:

LMM, thank you for taking the time to draw that!

Pfffft, a whole whopping five minutes!  I think the ammo can idea is pretty cool.  Doesn't that Vanguard have a fuel pump? If so you can put it like that and hide the shut off and battery shut off under the seat hidden somewhere.  
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing BEAST   Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2014, 12:56 am

If you like weight up front you can do this Razz. Talk about custom job!
Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 <a href=Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 Beast_11" />
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing BEAST   Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 Icon_minitimeJuly 18th 2014, 12:59 am

LAWN MOWER MUDDER wrote:
Pfffft, a whole whopping five minutes!  I think the ammo can idea is pretty cool.  Doesn't that Vanguard have a fuel pump? If so you can put it like that and hide the shut off and battery shut off under the seat hidden somewhere.  

I'll answer you in the WHAMS thread.

I'd really like to put this BEAST out of my misery...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hill climbing BEAST   Hill climbing BEAST - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Hill climbing BEAST
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2