All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin.

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin. Empty
PostSubject: Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin.   Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin. Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2011, 4:12 pm

alright so i was doin some testing on the engine. jujst filled it up with gas and started it up. it was running great the first time then i killed it. when i tried to restart it it didnt want to start. it finally started but it was running real ruf. i tried to give it a little gas and it died instantly. seemed to be flooding cuz i could see a puddle of gad building up in the air intake and when i killed it gas was coming out of the exaust. anyone no whats wrong? it was running fine like 2 seconds before

Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin. Sam_0010
heres a pic looking down the air intake. the reflection is the gas built up in the bottom. haha wow my 12.2 megapixel camera i got for christmas makes it look really dirty

Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin. Sam_0011
and heres the gas coming out of the right exausht pipe(the gas is the darker pacman shape)

Last edited by noledroByrreK on January 15th 2011, 11:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/noledroByrreK?feature=mhum
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin.   Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin. Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2011, 4:23 pm

Sounds liek a stuck float to me, were you running a fuel filter?
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin.   Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin. Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2011, 4:33 pm

its in the origonal spot
Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin. Photo025
can u see it down there

so i guess im gonna have to take the carb apart agin? ugh i got tired of doin that. lol
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin.   Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin. Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2011, 5:35 pm

probably needs a rebuild kit - not a cleaning. I know for my 17HP opposed briggs it was $20 for a new carb kit. The carb is over flowing - you might want to check the oil as well- if it thins the oil out, youre gonna blow the motor up.

Id add a new shut off valve to the fuel line before the filter- then you can change it easily.
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin.   Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin. Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2011, 6:11 pm

Alright after a little whiles work i got the carb stripped down and chunk you were right. the pin holding the float had slid out of place so it was stuck. i replaced it with a thick paper clip that a bent the sides over to prevent it from ever sliding out.

dangeroustoys56 the carb definitely could use a rebuild kit but ill prolly do that sometime in the future because it runs prety decent now.

ill post pics in my build of the tear down rebuild if anyone interested
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin.   Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin. Icon_minitimeJanuary 15th 2011, 6:12 pm

dangeroustoys56 wrote:
probably needs a rebuild kit - not a cleaning. I know for my 17HP opposed briggs it was $20 for a new carb kit. The carb is over flowing - you might want to check the oil as well- if it thins the oil out, youre gonna blow the motor up.

Id add a new shut off valve to the fuel line before the filter- then you can change it easily.

what should i do to check the oil? i got a new oil filter and replaced oil

thanks
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin.   Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin. Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 3:26 am

Youd smell the gas in the oil - ive had it happen a few times- plus it acts just like water, super thin - oh and also the oil level would be way higher.

Im just saying check it before running it to be sure - the thinned out oil will blow the motor up by not keeping the berings lubricated.
Back to top Go down
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin.   Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin. Icon_minitimeJanuary 16th 2011, 12:26 pm

alright thanks for the info. ill go check that out when it stops raining.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin.   Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Please help me diagnose Engine trouble on a 18.5 hp v twin.
Page 1 of 1