All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING?

Go down 
+3
tanis
Doc Sprocket
jamcco
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Doug
Site Owner

Site Owner

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant
2017 Build-Off Entrant

WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING?   WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2014, 6:25 am

I wouldnt worry about it too mich yet. It took almost an hour for oil to clear out of my muffler when I rolled my Craftsman. If it keeps up after a week or so you have a different problem.
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING?   WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2014, 9:59 am

Doug Fackler wrote:
If it keeps up after a week or so you have a different problem.

or if it gets worse. We have a Kohler Vtwin with bad valve guides in the right cylinder. constantly burning massive amounts of oil, more than my bolens.

another good indication of burning oil, is serious carbon build up on your sparkplugs.

for example, this came out of our kohler. top is from the good, clean cylinder, bottom is from the oil burning cylinder

WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING? - Page 2 NCM_03461_zpsad272a9a
Back to top Go down
B440
B440

PostSubject: Re: WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING?   WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2014, 10:12 am

willis923 wrote:
Doug Fackler wrote:
If it keeps up after a week or so you have a different problem.

or if it gets worse. We have a Kohler Vtwin with bad valve guides in the right cylinder. constantly burning massive amounts of oil, more than my bolens.

another good indication of burning oil, is serious carbon build up on your sparkplugs.

for example, this came out of our kohler. top is from the good, clean cylinder, bottom is from the oil burning cylinder

WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING? - Page 2 NCM_03461_zpsad272a9a

Use a hotter range plug on the cylinder that burns oil.
Back to top Go down
jamcco
jamcco

PostSubject: Re: WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING?   WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2014, 6:41 pm

update on this, ok so i ran the tractor for around 30 minutes, i know that im not burning oil that is in the exhaust due to an exhaust leak by one of my welds. i beleive that i may have a sticky valve, when i have it at idle it will sometimes be cleared up and have no smoke, but then all of a sudden there will be a big cloud of smoke come out of the exhaust. now with the valve guides, will i have to replace those or adjust them. i have yet to pull the cover to the valves. thanks guys, if i have to pay more than 50 bucks to fix this engine, i think i might as well go the extra mile and just buy a used flat head or something. but im not at that point yet
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING?   WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2014, 6:50 pm

Sadly, valve guides cannot be adjusted. They're not really user-serviceable. If they are in need of replacing, special tools are required. For your average guy, you have then reached the point where you're probably better just to shop out a replacement engine. Don't feel bad though- I am not equipped to replace them either.
Back to top Go down
jamcco
jamcco

PostSubject: Re: WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING?   WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMay 16th 2014, 7:57 pm

way ahead of yah doc  Very Happy 
yah ive been reading up on it and im researching rebuild kits and gasket kits, the whole lot. i am much better off buying an engine or a mower. both of which i have found on craigslist for around $150.
see this is one of the main reasons why i love tractor modding, the mods and fixes are a fraction of a what an atv would cost yah. i would like to have a briggs, they seem to be the most popular and used engine out there. Kohler's always seem to get mixed reviews for some reason.
http://nh.craigslist.org/for/4430205899.html
like this, a parts tractor with a good motor...only 80
buckshttp://nh.craigslist.org/bar/4410295232.html
parts are everywhere...im lucky for that
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING?   WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

WHYS MY KOHLER SMOKING?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2