All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

what kinda oil do you use in your tranny?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
arild365
arild365

what kinda oil do you use in your tranny? Empty
PostSubject: what kinda oil do you use in your tranny?   what kinda oil do you use in your tranny? Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2010, 8:24 pm

Hey guys, just wannted to know what kinda oil you guys use in your trannys and also how you put it in (nipple, open it up...) I think its time for me to do somthin with my tranny.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: what kinda oil do you use in your tranny?   what kinda oil do you use in your tranny? Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2010, 9:26 pm

I use 75w-90 in the murray, it's sealed with red rtv sealant and it has a rubber fill plug in the top. I usally give it about one and a 1/3ish quart bottles.
The craftsman has grease in it because it's not really geared that high and it wont see any deep water on the regular. I PACKED new grease in there so there wont be any issues. If it starts making noise, I'll convert it over to oil.
Back to top Go down
http://ww.atltf.com
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: what kinda oil do you use in your tranny?   what kinda oil do you use in your tranny? Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2010, 9:31 pm

hey fearless, could you please make a vid on your murray tractor of the rubber fill plug and just mainly your tranny if you ever have the time itd be really appretiated
Back to top Go down
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: what kinda oil do you use in your tranny?   what kinda oil do you use in your tranny? Icon_minitimeMarch 3rd 2010, 9:56 pm

At the moment, I cant do anything camera related until I get a new charger. A power outage burnt up my other one. But all it is, is a rubber thing that sits on the top, front of the trans. But yours may be grease filled... if it is, it wont have one.

Do you know what kind it is?
Or are there any numbers on it?
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: what kinda oil do you use in your tranny?   what kinda oil do you use in your tranny? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2010, 5:22 am

My craftsmans are all packed with the stock benonite grease- id ditch that and go gear oil , or what i use Lucas oil additive- thickest stuff ive seen- plus it'll stick to everything . I used lucas oil additve in my murray and my GTII mower with no issues.

My murray had a plastic plug under the flywheel on top of the trans - came that way - im thinking on other transmissions youd have to drill a hole and plug it with a small bolt - or could make a fill tube off to the side. Keep in mind, transmissions that use grease wont like the gear oil - seals wernt designed for it- id RTV the case halfs and just fill the trans to the case half- if you fill it any more- itll leak out. Id also suggest with rough duty putting zerk fittings near the axle ends and grease em regular.
Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: what kinda oil do you use in your tranny?   what kinda oil do you use in your tranny? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2010, 11:34 am

what is RTV and were can i get it? And thanks for all the help guys really appreciate it
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: what kinda oil do you use in your tranny?   what kinda oil do you use in your tranny? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2010, 4:13 pm

You can get it at any autoparts store- It makes a great sealant - look for the type compatible with oil/gasoline ( its red or blue) - i use it on intakes and mufflers sometimes.
Back to top Go down
Chunk
Established Member
Chunk
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: what kinda oil do you use in your tranny?   what kinda oil do you use in your tranny? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2010, 5:27 pm

I'd be interested in seeing how to tap for grease zerks/nipples. I cant to do this to mine, especially the input shaft!
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/csakvids
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster
Webmaster

PostSubject: Re: what kinda oil do you use in your tranny?   what kinda oil do you use in your tranny? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2010, 6:31 pm

Chunk wrote:
I'd be interested in seeing how to tap for grease zerks/nipples. I cant to do this to mine, especially the input shaft!

I have a peerless that I want to try this on also. Sounds like a good idea to me!
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: what kinda oil do you use in your tranny?   what kinda oil do you use in your tranny? Icon_minitimeMarch 4th 2010, 7:04 pm

Any autoparts store has em- i think i got my zerks at TSC- like 12 pieces in a lil box - they also had the tap there . To be sure they didnt work loose i also bot some thread locker. I used a slightly smaller drill bit, then tapped it a few threads in. I used em also on some of my lawntractor deck mandrels ( im thinking of putting them on all of em) . Ill grab a video and pics of the procedure .

I found Lucas oil also has a grease - both in a cartridge for the grease gun and in a container ( for like packing wheel berings). I noticed at TSC they have a galon of Lucas oil for like $20- cheeper then buying a bottle at $10 .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what kinda oil do you use in your tranny?   what kinda oil do you use in your tranny? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what kinda oil do you use in your tranny?
Page 1 of 1