All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Using a digital camera to find bad spots in a gasket

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Angchor
Angchor

Using a digital camera to find bad spots in a gasket Empty
PostSubject: Using a digital camera to find bad spots in a gasket   Using a digital camera to find bad spots in a gasket Icon_minitimeJune 22nd 2014, 4:57 pm

I try to take pistures of things as I dismantle them. Mostly so that I can see how they were, and can then see how to put them back together again. LOL

But there are other advantages to using a digital camera to keep track of things. One example being to help find an elusive leak in a gasket.

This is my vanguard briggs. It has been leaking at the seam where the pan bolts to the block.
Using a digital camera to find bad spots in a gasket Gasket10

I suspected the spot where it was leaking, but wanted to know for sure.

You can look at the pieces of gasket left attached to each half, but it can be a pain trying to "match them up."

I took a picture of each. Then rotated one to be oriented the same as the other. Then flipped that one horizontally. Now the two halves have exactly the same profile.

Now you can easily look at the gasket on one half, and find the gaps. Then look at the other half and see if there is a piece of gasket that corresponds to that.

As it happens in this case, I suspected the leak to be between the two small red lines in the upper half of the picture. And sure enough, there is no gasket there on either half.

Further, there is a piece of gasket pointed out by the yellow arrows. If I hadn't done the comparo, I might have dismissied that piece of gasket as having just flopped in there when I took the pan off.

But since I did the comparo, I took a closer look at it, and it became obvious that that was most of the missing gasket, and that it had not been sandwiched between the pieces of metal, but had been hanging down inside the pan for a long time.

And there's your leak!
Back to top Go down
willis923
Veteran Member
willis923
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Using a digital camera to find bad spots in a gasket   Using a digital camera to find bad spots in a gasket Icon_minitimeJune 22nd 2014, 11:29 pm

thats why i coat my gaskets in either RTV/hi-temp 'form-a-gasket' or copper gasket maker
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Using a digital camera to find bad spots in a gasket   Using a digital camera to find bad spots in a gasket Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2014, 9:21 pm

I use rtv instead of a gasket, but you've just got to watch you don't get the crank end play too tight. Although I haven't found it to be an issue on the worn out old junk I usually work with. Guess somebody had that engine apart before and slapped it back together with those old gaskets.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Using a digital camera to find bad spots in a gasket   Using a digital camera to find bad spots in a gasket Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Using a digital camera to find bad spots in a gasket
Page 1 of 1