All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

MTD first build

Go down 
+2
redlinemotorsportts
Phatmatt
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Phatmatt
Phatmatt

MTD first build Empty
PostSubject: MTD first build   MTD first build Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2014, 9:32 am

Not sure if this is the right place for this.

I bought this MTD 12hp awhile ago for 100$, rebuild motor but didn't run when I got it. After playing the the carb and changing old gas, works just fine.
If someone can tell me about this mower please do, I have no info about it not even the year Sad

MTD first build 10172519_699531250105633_576120505_o
MTD first build 10174210_699531263438965_930688361_o

First I had no real plans besides removing the mower deck and changing pulleys, I have no idea on the sizes I put on. I put what I had on hand.  Right now it goes 22mph. Wasn't really safe, no brakes, top heavy and belt too tight so no clutch..

MTD first build IMG114

Then it sat for 2 months before really doing some research on what I wanted to do.
Initial plans for now are
-Get new tires (done)
-Lower frame 3-4 inches
-After the first two are done, Get the proper pulley ratios
-Brakes, no idea what I will do yet
-New battery (done)
-lower seat and steering wheel
-Install rpm/speedo (if that's even possible)
-Vertical straight pipe

Got myself brand new tires and rims for 90$. What a steal
MTD first build IMG198-1

Made homemade hubs with the stock rims by cutting them and keeping the middle and drilling new holes. Then painting them
MTD first build IMG223
MTD first build IMG219

Once install. Looks great.
MTD first build IMG221
MTD first build IMG226

Got myself a new amperage gauge from the junkyard for 2$ since mine is broken.
MTD first build IMG197
MTD first build IMG196

That's it for now, I still need to get bigger rims for the front hubs since mine are too small.  After that I can start lowering the frame.  Still have to figure a way to lower the front. Any help on that would be appreciated.

Also I was wondering, I want to change the headlights and people are telling me that I will kill my stator.  Are they right? Cause I looked a bit and I'm getting mixed results..
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

MTD first build Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD first build   MTD first build Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2014, 11:15 am

No, I don't really see how the stator could burn up without adding 20 lights. I'd reckoned LED's just because their way more power efficient. Rear rims look nice, I just welded my front disks to the atv rim, but I don't know if you could make little extensions off the front disks with holes in them.
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

MTD first build Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD first build   MTD first build Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2014, 11:20 am

looks cool love it
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

MTD first build Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD first build   MTD first build Icon_minitimeJuly 12th 2014, 12:18 pm

If you could find GT front wheels ther 8" you could cut them just like the rear and use them as a hub.
Back to top Go down
Phatmatt
Phatmatt

MTD first build Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD first build   MTD first build Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2014, 4:37 pm

I went back the to junkyard to get the rims off the tractor I saw last time.  I needed them to make my front hubs for my wheels, while I was there I also took the front steering spindles since they are 3/4 to fit the new rims (old are 5/8 )

I'm trying to keep the cost down and new go-kart spindles are 60$ shipped.  Got the rims and spindles for 20$.

I have no idea on the make of this tractor besides that it has a 10hp motor and peerless tranny that had a hole in it..

MTD first build IMG237

Front spindles
MTD first build IMG240

Not much left good here for me. I wish I had room at my place to keep finds like these for parts and future projects Sad
MTD first build IMG241
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner

MTD first build Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD first build   MTD first build Icon_minitimeJuly 14th 2014, 4:45 pm

That's a Ford!

(ford lawn mower, not ford truck = good score  Laughing ) It's a shame that you had to part it out though.
Back to top Go down
THESEARSREAPER
THESEARSREAPER

MTD first build Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD first build   MTD first build Icon_minitimeJuly 16th 2014, 9:07 pm

the 1st one is a mtd that was my first mower I ever had was that one its a 98 mtd and that blue one was a ford there toughf I made my mtd into a racer
Back to top Go down
Phatmatt
Phatmatt

MTD first build Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD first build   MTD first build Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2014, 5:42 pm

I see you lowered yours, got any pics of the front setup? I'm in the process of lowering and would love to see how you did it.
Back to top Go down
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member
LAWN MOWER MUDDER
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

MTD first build Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD first build   MTD first build Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2014, 9:06 pm

It looks like he just took the spacers out of the fenders. And the springs off the seat.
Back to top Go down
THESEARSREAPER
THESEARSREAPER

MTD first build Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD first build   MTD first build Icon_minitimeJuly 17th 2014, 9:06 pm

right now my front end is being welded to lengthen it 6 inches on both sides but you can flip it and weld yours to were you feel satisfied and also you can make derect steering. and on the back I took the rear and flipped it upside down and put it on top of the frame
Back to top Go down
Phatmatt
Phatmatt

MTD first build Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD first build   MTD first build Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2014, 8:46 am

Havent been working on it lately.  
But yesterday I did manage to complete the rear end and make an exhaust.

Rear lowered 3"
Looks sexy.
MTD first build IMG258
MTD first build IMG259

Also I cut the "L" shaped plate on the rear end in half so I could easily take off the top only for easy access to the tranny. Before to take the piece off I had to pretty much take everything around it out.. Was a pain. No more!
MTD first build IMG256

Homemade exhaust made from a Toyota Tercel exhaust. I will have to cut out a piece of the hood so it clears. d'oh..   I was sure it passed before welding it..
Also made a homemade flange that I cut out of the old muffler.
MTD first build IMG257
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

MTD first build Empty
PostSubject: Re: MTD first build   MTD first build Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MTD first build
Page 1 of 1