All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!

Go down 
+5
Angchor
B440
redlinemotorsportts
richie thomas
CornShuck4CE
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Empty
PostSubject: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2014, 8:59 pm

Well i thought i scored. Ha. Got the GT22/54 GLS V-Twin all put back together. Started er up gased on it an O yea. Then i put that big bad 54" deck on it and thought ( man yea this thang gonna thow som grass.) Ha short lived soon as i hi the PTO switch she starts shutterin and sounds like missin turn it off give er a second and back to smooth running. Over an over again. So i do the normal checking. Is she gettin enough fuel. Yea boy em vacum pumps work pritty good. Actually its smokin a lil black at the point of turning on deck ond only gets wors as you try to mow. So i start lookin for the fuel/air mix needle an WHAT thay aint one. How the crap you suppose to adjust the stupid thing? I tor the carb apart and cleaned it. And still no mix needle. I figure its a pre set carb withe the fuel/air jet is made on the carb body but thats retarded. This motor seems to have no real issue sept this. Im hopeing spark plugs will fix. Cause as of right not she is gutless. It gotta do better than dis. The engine is a briggs 22hp GLS656. Model # 40H777 type 0241 E1.  With yellow filter handle. So it one of the first models.  What you boys think. twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Image43
Back to top Go down
richie thomas
Veteran Member
richie thomas
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2014, 9:06 pm

you already cleaned the carb, did you clean out the inside of that plastic intake?
and check and see if your getting oil into the exhaust pipes, mine gets a little in it and then smokes like a hippy in '69
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2014, 9:21 pm

Yea its all good i know its flooding caus its smokin black not blue(oil). And if i choke it even a lil it almost dies. And no oil anywher sept where its suppose to be.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2014, 9:41 pm

CornShuck4CE wrote:
Yea its all good i know its flooding caus its smokin black not blue(oil). And if i choke it even a lil it almost dies. And no oil anywher sept where its suppose to be.
If you got a spare tank you can bypass the fuel pump (just hole the tank higher then the fuel pump) and start it up and see if it is keeping up. It will run fine without/ or bypassed a fuel pump. Spark plugs is what i was thinking when i was reading it. Make sure the choke is all adjusted. If you try again try it with about half choke, if it runs better (pretty noticeable) then the carb needs a overhaul.
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2014, 9:43 pm

Yup tried that. No diffrence. And cant use choke it floods even worse.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2014, 9:48 pm

CornShuck4CE wrote:
Yup tried that. No diffrence. And cant use choke it floods even worse.

If its getting to much fuel, id suggest a overhaul kit, something in the carb aint right. Bout all i can think of till you try spark plugs
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeJuly 30th 2014, 9:50 pm

I tor it down its clean this carb is simple. But if the pluggs dont do it maybe a overhaul of carb but it only acts up in a hard pull when it needs more fuel. Starts and runs great. Makes no since
Back to top Go down
B440
B440

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2014, 12:50 pm

Check the pipes while it's running; both pipes hot? Or is one cool like it's not firing? Some twins run fine on one cylinder, no load.
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2014, 12:54 pm

Its firein dont start till its in a bind
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2014, 2:58 pm

Have you checked the deck to make sure everything is freely moving?

Could be you are putting more of a load on that engine than you realize.

If everything moves freely, then do it again. But this time begin with the throttle in turtle position. Let it catch up to itself. Then slowly increase the throttle.
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2014, 6:09 pm

Angchor wrote:
Have you checked the deck to make sure everything is freely moving?

Could be you are putting more of a load on that engine than you realize.

If everything moves freely, then do it again. But this time begin with the throttle in turtle position. Let it catch up to itself. Then slowly increase the throttle.
Not the deck. Its free. I think its eather the plugs or a coil cause its like its missing boyght some plugs ill see what that do. Thanks all
Back to top Go down
Angchor
Angchor

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2014, 6:19 pm

CornShuck4CE wrote:
Not the deck. Its free. I think its eather the plugs or a coil cause its like its missing boyght some plugs ill see what that do. Thanks all
Deck is well balanced as well?
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeJuly 31st 2014, 6:45 pm

Have you tried it with out the air filter? whats the filter look like?
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2014, 7:44 am

[quote="CornShuck4CE"] So i start lookin for the fuel/air mix needle an WHAT thay aint one. How the crap you suppose to adjust the stupid thing? I tor the carb apart and cleaned it. And still no mix needle./quote]

You're NOT supposed to adjust it. You can thank the EPA for that. OPE carbs have been made non-user-adjustable for years now, it's just like that.

Yank out both spark plugs and compare them. See if one appears to be doing all the work.

I'd be digging back into that carb again.
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeAugust 1st 2014, 6:25 pm

Deck is good. Bought 2 plugs yesterday gonna do som testing saterday eavnin. Carb is to clean and no blockeg to be the problem. Talk to some frinds at my local small engine shop he said eather coil or plugs so thats what im gonna do. Great info guys. Keep it up
Back to top Go down
83ratrodmurray
83ratrodmurray

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2014, 2:36 pm

i work at a small engine shop and it seems that the carbs on those briggs twins just stop feeding right after a while. we usually end up having to replace the carburetor. try to save the one that's on there though, those carbs aren't that cheap.
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeAugust 3rd 2014, 4:33 pm

The carb is in such good shape no blockeg of any kind anywhere i feel the problem lies in the ignition. Plan on turning this thing around for some extra cash. Ill get er worked out still no chance to stick in new plugs and test it out but that day comes soon. Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2014, 12:10 pm

Did you ever get this thing running right? EPA motors run lean, so it's not the jetting that's making it almost choke out. Check the air cleaner and the float level. AND the float needle for shutting off all the way. (Pull the bowl and hold the float up. Does it shut off?) Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2014, 1:00 pm

Yea iv tried all theas things cleaned the carb its all good. My mower budget has stoped at the moment. But i noticed its getting fuel in the oul noticed the pcv is blowing a fuel vaper out of crank case. So i shut er down till i find the reason. I belieave the fuel pump diafram has a hole in it and letting fuel into the crank case. The pump has a line that runs into the top of the valve cover and i think its coming in that way.  So need oil filter and pump. Bout 30-40 bucks i aint got so its setting at the moment.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2014, 1:11 pm

CornShuck4CE wrote:
Yea iv tried all theas things cleaned the carb its all good. My mower budget has stoped at the moment. But i noticed its getting fuel in the oul noticed the pcv is blowing a fuel vaper out of crank case. So i shut er down till i find the reason. I belieave the fuel pump diafram has a hole in it and letting fuel into the crank case. The pump has a line that runs into the top of the valve cover and i think its coming in that way.  So need oil filter and pump. Bout 30-40 bucks i aint got so its setting at the moment.

I hope this helps.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Briggs-Stratton-Fuel-Pump-for-808656-Mikuni-808462-/360970432695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item540b83b0b7
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2014, 1:20 pm

Lil cheaper than the local small engine shop
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2014, 1:29 pm

Yeah, probably cheaper than a diaphragm kit for your existing one too. I still think that you're getting too much fuel from that carb. The fuel in the crankcase may be from the pump, coming through the pulse line... Or just flowing through the carb and working it's way down into the crankcase.

As was said before, eliminate the fuel pump by running a gravity feed fuel tank temporarily, then test the float needle for full shut-off.

You can probably get the thing running for free if you analyze the problem correctly before spending money.
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeAugust 26th 2014, 3:58 pm

I tried a gravity tank first. And a fuel shut of valve to stop the fuel flow to carb to starve it out no chang. It runs rough till it quits.
Back to top Go down
T-Dub13
Established Member
T-Dub13
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 9:34 am

So, when the governor calls for more throttle (power to run an accessory) the throttle opens more than usual during just riding around. Sounds like it runs fine on the pilot jet, but when the throttle opens enough to call for fuel from the main jet, it's getting too much fuel.

Or it's not able to ignite the charge because of a weak ignition. Either problem can make it seem like it's flooding out.

Make sure your spark plug gaps are no more than .020".

Check your spark plug wires and plug caps to make sure they're not arc'ing out anywhere, sometimes on the shroud or fins...

Does it blow black smoke when it's blubbering and struggling? If so, it's still too much fuel.

Try running without an air filter to see if there's a change.

Keep us posted!
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitimeAugust 27th 2014, 12:03 pm

T-Dub13 wrote:
So, when the governor calls for more throttle (power to run an accessory) the throttle opens more than usual during just riding around.  Sounds like it runs fine on the pilot jet, but when the throttle opens enough to call for fuel from the main jet, it's getting too much fuel.  

Or it's not able to ignite the charge because of a weak ignition.  Either problem can make it seem like it's flooding out.

Make sure your spark plug gaps are no more than .020".

Check your spark plug wires and plug caps to make sure they're not arc'ing out anywhere, sometimes on the shroud or fins...

Does it blow black smoke when it's blubbering and struggling?  If so, it's still too much fuel.

Try running without an air filter to see if there's a change.

Keep us posted!  
Been running no filter the whole time. New plugs swaped the coils to opposit sides. There still firein. Beleave me it will light you up pull the wires as its miss firein and the left cylinder settin on the mower runs dead but plug still fires. I o no. Still messin with it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!    twin - Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sombody help! Peace of junk V-Twin!!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next