All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.

Go down 
+9
Thunderdivine
CornShuck4CE
Ariens YT11
Creepycrawler
redlinemotorsportts
Craftsman1998
slim67
kawasaki220
steelshooter
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
steelshooter

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Empty
PostSubject: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 4th 2014, 7:46 pm

Hey guys, I'm in the middle of a build right now and thought that you might like to see some pictures, so here goes.

Home made snow plow, but it pushes rock too.
New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4215" />

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4210" />
Rear luggage rack, with ammo can tool box.
New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4211" />
Controls and gauges, Volt meter.Temperature gauge plumbed to the oil.
New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4213" />
Rear trans-axle guard
New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4214" />
Dual exhaust
New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4217" />

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4218" />
New front tires awaiting installation.
New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4219" />

The transaxle is locked and I have done a pulley swap, I might get 10-12 MPH out of it. She's got a B&S 17 HP IC horizontally opposed twin. A set of rear knobbys' are on their way. I have a front bumper that I have built also, I use it for off roading. You can change from the bumper to the plow with out any tools in about 4-5 minutes.
Back to top Go down
kawasaki220
Established Member
kawasaki220
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 4th 2014, 8:20 pm

them look like good tires welcome to the form can you do a right up on how to lock that axle love the tractor that is what my off road mower is
Back to top Go down
slim67

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 4th 2014, 9:22 pm

i have the same front tires on mine. best part is that they were free.
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 5th 2014, 3:00 am

I got this set of tires from ebay for about 60 bucks, defiantly not free, but I think they will work well. Pretty stoked about the rear knobbys' coming in. Thanks for the welcome. I watched a couple of videos on you tube about locking rear axles. It seems that there is a plethora of tractor trans-axles. This one seems to be pretty light duty, so I have my doubt as to how long it will last.
Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 5th 2014, 7:25 am

Welcome to the forum and nice job on that offroad mower i like that rack on the back how did you build it? and i like how you used steel mesh on it.
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 5th 2014, 7:21 pm

Thanks for the welcome. I just used some scrap that I had. Here are a few pics to illustrate. I actually used some aluminum mesh that I had for the top portion and it's held down by self tapping screws. The rear rack is darn sturdy, I can sit on it with out any flexing. (145lbs)

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4220" />

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4221
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: More pictures and a belly pan upgrade!   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2014, 8:10 pm

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4222" />

Off road bumper installed.

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4223

Rear rack
New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4221" />

Making a belly pan to protect the pulley and belt system.New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. ><a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4224" />

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4225" />

Bpinion1981 likes this post

Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2014, 8:46 pm

I had to cut out a section of the belly pan to allow for the large spring and clutch pulley movement, but I did not want to leave that area exposed so I took a thinner piece of aluminum and gave it a nice contour and then riveted it to the main belly pan. I like the look, it really makes the underside look clean, but the amount of protection it provides is main goal. It's easy too remove as well, with four bolts holding it on.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 10th 2014, 9:56 pm

Has all the properties of a good build! This one musta slipped by me till now lol. Opposed twin or v twin? I like using small DIA pipe for exhaust too, sounds amazing underload. Well, to me at least, not the neighbors.
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2014, 6:37 pm

Thanks, it's been going pretty well. I think the tires will be sick, they should give a nice lift just by themselves. The engine is a opposed twin, and the exhaust is made out of 1'' conduit.
Back to top Go down
Creepycrawler
Established Member
Creepycrawler
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2024 Build-Off Entrant
2024 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 11th 2014, 9:57 pm

I like the fab work all over but the belly skid is tits!  Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 12th 2014, 3:04 am

Thanks creepy, I was driving through a small section of pasture and was just barreling over some decently sized trees and that's when I decided I needed to protect the belts and pulley. I bought that piece scrap aluminum from work and the thinner stuff is made from a medical 4 drawer cabinet which was made totally out of aluminum.
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Not much accomplished but.....   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2014, 8:34 pm

I did not get much accomplished but did a couple little things this weekend. There was a spot on the mower where the controls were to control the height  of the deck and since all that is gone, I wanted to make it look a little more clean. I decided to cut that area out and replace it with a bolt on aluminum panel. It looks nice but also acts as a access point for the belts and pulleys. I also made a cool shifter knob out of a spent 50 BMG case. The theme for this build will be like a military jeep or something along those lines.

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4226" />

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4227" />

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4228" />

Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: 50 bmg case shifter knob   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2014, 8:48 pm

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4230" />

Research tells me that this case was made in Des Moines Ordnance Plant - Ankeny, Iowa

Back to top Go down
Ariens YT11
Established Member
Ariens YT11
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 17th 2014, 9:26 pm

this is really turning out awesome for a MTD?
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2014, 3:46 am

Thanks, and yeah, it's an MTD. There has been a significant delay in getting my rear set of knobby tires which has really put me behind where I thought I would be. Once I get that all squared away then the next thing will be to revamp the steering, which right now blows I have an extra Murray that I would like to pull some parts off of. But I have also toyed with the idea of taking the steering off of a small ATV with suspension and getting that to work.
Back to top Go down
CornShuck4CE
CornShuck4CE

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2014, 7:44 am

Loving the mtd build. Suspention is an awsome mod for ATLT. Mine workes great no problems a nd really improves the ride and handeling. I would encurage anyone thinking of doi it to just jump in and do it. Check out my build in signiture. Keep up the updates
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2014, 6:36 pm

Thanks, I'm trying to find a cheap, junk atv frame that might work to steal the front suspension off of, if I can find that then we'll be in business, but I doubt anybody would really want to get rid of an ATV frame, that seems like something I would want to keep around, but it might be out there.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 18th 2014, 6:41 pm

Nice rig, and Welcome!
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: New rims and tires- Big!   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 29th 2014, 11:35 pm

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. <a href=New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4231" />

working on the front steering and new tires installation.

Top tractor axle is a donor from an old murray, the bottom one is a factory MTD. I need the front spindle mounts from the murray so I can mount my new tires, which require a 3/4 shaft.

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4232

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4233

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4234

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4310

I got a different set of tires in, they are 22x10-8 and I got them mounted but I had to trim some fender to fit them.

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4311

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4312

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4313

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4314

The only problem I am having right now is that I have great steering to the right but awful to left. Other than that this thing will probably be getting some paint soon. I still need to name it, any ideas?

Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2014, 12:39 am

Not sure on names but the rest is sure looking good, cool front axle swap. I widened my mtd axle and plated over the welds.

Why didnt you just swap the spindles? Were they not long enough? I thought that they slipped in, but could be wrong.
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeAugust 30th 2014, 8:38 am

The spindles on the MTD were a smaller size, the spindles from the Murray were 3/4 dia. I left the axle the same width but the whole package was widened by a few inches since the spindles were a little bit longer than stock MTD. I tried to swap all the steering components from the Murray as they were a heavier build, but I could not figure a way to fit it all with out having to relocate the engine. The paint I'm planning on is a nice satin OD green.
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Fresh paint! Got it dirty the next Day!   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeSeptember 7th 2014, 5:58 pm

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4315

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Dscf4316

Back to top Go down
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member
Craftsman1998
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2015 Build-Off Entrant
2015 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeSeptember 7th 2014, 7:55 pm

I like how you turned the led lights to make it look mean
Back to top Go down
steelshooter

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitimeSeptember 8th 2014, 4:04 am

That was the intention, I actually just put a piece of electrical tap over that "corner" of the light and it turned out pretty neat. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.   New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New guy, first Off Road/ Utility tractor build.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next