All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
YotaTruck

6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle? Empty
PostSubject: 6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle?   6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2015, 6:23 am

My dad has a bunch of Peerless transaxles laying around that are probably in fine shape. He picks up dead OPE and either gets it running to sell or uses it for parts. A lot of the parts tractors he gets are machines that were just plain neglected, left out in the rain, have mowing deck problems, etc... The transaxles are fine. Here is what I'm thinking:

Assuming he has three of the same model (like an 800 for example) with the same gear ratios, I would mount two to a rear frame, connected by an articulated joint to a front frame with one axle mounted on it. Picture a six wheeled John Deere Gator but with a joint between the front axle and the first rear axle.

Each axle would be locked into 1st gear somehow, either by pinning the linkage or some other way to make sure they're always in gear. Basically these transaxles would like be converted to regular axles that function like the axles in a truck-the gearbox just serves to change the direction of the power being transferred and to provide reduction.

Each axle would then be driven by a hydraulic motor connected to the shaft that once held the pulley that drove the axle. The goal would be to be able to drive the shaft over an RPM range a little slower and a little faster than it would normally to be able to vary the speed that way.

Here are the questions that I have:

-What kind of hydraulic motor would I need in order to drive a transaxle and get a decent amount of power in terms of RPM range and torque? There seems to be a wide variety available.

-What kind GPM pump/how much horsepower would be required to drive it, in order to run three hydraulic motors and also provide power for the steering system (two rams) and possible expansion (dump bed, FEL, etc...).

-This is all working on the assumption that hydraulic motors can be easily reversed, since I won't have any kind of selectable gearbox. Obviously the motors can run in any direction, but how much more complicated does that make the plumbing?

-Lastly, I did some math with a gear calculator working backwards from desired a speed, expected tire size, and 1st gear ratio to figure out my RPM range. Please let me know if this looks like I'm on the right track:

7 MPH (I figure I'd want to go as slow as 2 and as fast as 10) with a 24" tire, and a gear ratio of 4.55:1 would require about 450 RPM at the input shaft on the transaxle.

Looking forward to some discussion on this!
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: 6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle?   6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 6th 2015, 12:16 pm

The motors can be run either direction with a travel valve from a unit with hydraulic drive. I know Case lawn tractors have a combination valve unit that has a travel and lift on it. I think 2 drive motors would work, 1 for the front and 1 for the rear. Tie the rear transaxles together with a pulley and belt, and drive them with 1 motor. The pump size needed to run steering, drive, and a lift would be more than the Case tractor unit though. The Case pump is around 7-8 GPM. I would think 12-14 GPM would be enough. The drive motor on a Case tractor has long output shaft and I don't know if it would work as a drive motor in this application. 2 Case tractors would give you all the parts for a 4x4 articulated unit with 5 or 6 bolt hubs (depends on tractor size, 200 or 400 series) including valves and some rams.
Back to top Go down
YotaTruck

PostSubject: Re: 6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle?   6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2015, 9:48 am

dked41 wrote:
I think 2 drive motors would work, 1 for the front and 1 for the rear. Tie the rear transaxles together with a pulley and belt, and drive them with 1 motor.

I thought about that, but if I run three motors each of the rear axles can be mounted on a pivot so that they can move independently and the tires can really hug uneven terrain. I find that a lot of the time a lack of articulation in the rear is the cause of a lack of traction.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle?   6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2015, 9:57 am

I get grumpy when people talk about parting out case tractors >.>
You wouldn't have any issues with using a case pump I'm pretty sure they are around 10-15 I have a 646 loader with the same pump as the 226 that will run all functions at once. You will however have issues with the drive motor. These tractors are built to plow and pull stumps back in the day when people wanted tanks, these are 2 speed cast iron beasts that teach mother nature a thing or two. The gears in the transmission are more a kind to the rear end of my truck than even a 820 so simply put... you put a load on those motors and they will shred your transmission like it wasn't even there :>

I can tell you this from my experience with the 646 I have carried logs out of the woods and pulled my truck out of spots with it and cleared trails. I haven't looked at my manuals in a bit but if I remember correctly the 646 transmission and 226 are the same and the 646 is running a 27"tire vs the 23" on the 226 so you can imagine the amount of torque being put to the ground just reducing tire size.

So if building a 6x6 thing I suggest just using the case transmission assembly because there's no peerless that could survive a case drive motor. *dismount soapbox!*

6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle? Case_4x4_articulated_garden_tractor___custom_built_1_lgw
Back to top Go down
YotaTruck

PostSubject: Re: 6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle?   6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2015, 1:13 pm

Moose wrote:
You wouldn't have any issues with using a case pump I'm pretty sure they are around 10-15 I have a 646 loader with the same pump as the 226 that will run all functions at once. You will however have issues with the drive motor. These tractors are built to plow and pull stumps back in the day when people wanted tanks, these are 2 speed cast iron beasts that teach mother nature a thing or two. The gears in the transmission are more a kind to the rear end of my truck than even a 820 so simply put... you put a load on those motors and they will shred your transmission like it wasn't even there :>

As much as I'd love to build something that heavy duty, I don't really need to.  I just want to build a tractor that I can haul firewood and plow snow/push a snowthrower with and tool around in. Something more along the lines of this:

Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle?   6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 7th 2015, 4:24 pm

Then I'd suggest belt drive :p
Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: 6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle?   6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2015, 11:52 am

Smaller drive motors like reel drives on golf course style mowers may work, also the motor found on hydraulic drive rotary decks would be usable. Sorry Moose, didn't mean to get you grumpy. I have 5 Case tractors of my own, and have found there are some who don't share the love and part them out all the time.
Back to top Go down
Moose
Established Member
Moose
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: 6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle?   6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2015, 1:42 pm

Hydraulics just add complexity without much advantage you have to have large cooling systems and a good holding tank. Should look up the Murray gator
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: 6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle?   6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 9th 2015, 9:39 pm

If i get what i gather, id do what moose is suggesting. More simple, more....better. Laughing

Heres a idea starter for you. Off mini mudder on facebook

Normal belt setup to first axle and then chain drive to the second.
6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle? 10410610
6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle? 10644910
Back to top Go down
802 Customs
802 Customs

PostSubject: Re: 6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle?   6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle? Icon_minitimeFebruary 10th 2015, 1:32 am

As cool as the hydraulic system would be you will get way in over your head with valves and pumps, and Rams, and hoses, and other misc stuff. Idk what your budget is here, but hydraulics get pricy quick. Anyways I think moose has a good point, those case machines are pretty serious so that drive motor could probably turn your peerless into gear oil and hardened steel stew in a fraction of a second.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle?   6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

6x6 articulated tractor/Utility vehicle?
Page 1 of 1