All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Kohler CH20S Not performing like it should.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
hukturn

Kohler CH20S Not performing like it should. Empty
PostSubject: Kohler CH20S Not performing like it should.   Kohler CH20S Not performing like it should. Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 7:04 pm

Kohler CH20S w/1bbl carb (in a Kubota GR2000) will not idle. Governor will adjust (choke out) periodically (about every 10 seconds or 15 seconds w/choke on). When this happens, engine chokes down to near stop but recovers, unless under load (blades engaged, hard turns). Some light black smoke when first starting and/or when I throttle up quickly. Engine/carburetor seems to have the most difficulty when at operating temperature and/or when under load. Runs/idles fine when cool (at startup) but has problems after about 5min of running. Runs/idles fine for longer period of time when at low idle. Seems to also have difficulty maintaining RPM when travelling up/down hills. I am not operating at high altitudes. Will run for longer at ½ throttle, but still shuts down over time and/r under load (ie; mower blade). I would not describe the overall idle as “rough” but it is also not “smooth”. Automatic choke was not opening fully (possibly 20degree butterfly), so I added a spring to allow full (90degree butterfly) opening when choke lever is disengaged. Thoughts?

Some things already done;
Changed plugs
Checked spark and has nice blue fire
Adjusted the float levels (no cracks/holes)
Adjusted external governor spring (there is tension on governor rod, so it is engaging)
Good fuel flow up to carburetor (and bowls have fuel)
Slow speed jet O-Rings are good
Oil level is good
Removed fuel filter and air filter for testing during repair (still problems)
New gas w/carb cleaner additive
Ran w/out gas cap
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

Kohler CH20S Not performing like it should. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Kohler CH20S Not performing like it should.   Kohler CH20S Not performing like it should. Icon_minitimeTue 22 Mar 2011, 8:08 pm

Magneto could be on its way out - when its cold itll be fine- but once it warms up and heat makes it expand- then thats where the issue lies. Sort of like points on old tractors- fine when theyre cold, but once they heat up theres issues.

Have you made sure the flywheel is clean? Has the magneto been properly gapped? I use a piece of cardbord from a oil filter box as my gap width- set it between the flywheel/magneto ( with it loose) and let it snap to the flywheel - then tighten it down.

Its also possible the magneto could be grounding out - try unhooking the magneto ground wire and see if that helps in its running - could indicate a problem with the ign switch as well.

Back to top Go down

Kohler CH20S Not performing like it should.
Page 1 of 1