All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Thinking about fixing steering

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
TedTheDestroyer
TedTheDestroyer

Thinking about fixing steering Empty
PostSubject: Thinking about fixing steering   Thinking about fixing steering Icon_minitimeDecember 14th 2015, 11:12 pm

I was looking at the steering rods and the ball joint things and saw that they did not look to be in good condition. I think I found something that could replace them and make them better. Woud they work?
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Rod-Ends/Female-Mount-Stud-Rod-Ends/3-8-24-ROD-END-W-STUD-FEMALE-RIGHT-HAND-13-AFR-6S.axd
http://www.surpluscenter.com/Power-Transmission/Rod-Ends/Female-Mount-Stud-Rod-Ends/3-8-24-ROD-END-W-STUD-FEMALE-RIGHT-HAND-13-AFR-6S.axd

Also- What is the difference between those two? It says left hand and right hand but what does that mean?
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about fixing steering   Thinking about fixing steering Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2015, 7:40 am

That should be referring to the cut of the threads one of them will be for right hand thread which is like a standard bolt the other one will be left hand thread ( meaning instead of Lefty Loosey Righty Tighty it will be lefty tighy right loosey) that way when you put the tie rod between them you turn the whole tire rod and adjust them in and out equally to set
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about fixing steering   Thinking about fixing steering Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2015, 7:42 am

And those should work perfectly fine but you do realize for like $6 at a tractor supply or a rural king or just about any mower shop you can get a pair of replacement tie rod ends.

If you order those you will need one right hand and one left hand for each side
Back to top Go down
TedTheDestroyer
TedTheDestroyer

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about fixing steering   Thinking about fixing steering Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2015, 10:10 am

This is what is currently looks like

Thinking about fixing steering Screen10
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about fixing steering   Thinking about fixing steering Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2015, 10:52 am

It doesn't look like your tie rod end comes off of the tie rod so you will have to either cut it off and weld the new one on or replace the entire tie rod
Back to top Go down
TedTheDestroyer
TedTheDestroyer

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about fixing steering   Thinking about fixing steering Icon_minitimeDecember 15th 2015, 10:54 am

That'll be fine
Back to top Go down
TedTheDestroyer
TedTheDestroyer

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about fixing steering   Thinking about fixing steering Icon_minitimeDecember 16th 2015, 9:44 am

So would I have to use the old tie rod or could I make a new one? If I make a new one what is he best material for it, threaded rod, steel bar with threads cut?
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about fixing steering   Thinking about fixing steering Icon_minitimeDecember 16th 2015, 10:21 am

If I were doing it I would use A steel rod with threads on each end I usually just buy a solid steel rod and then threaded myself with a set of dice but you could cut the end of that road and weld the new and on to it
Back to top Go down
TedTheDestroyer
TedTheDestroyer

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about fixing steering   Thinking about fixing steering Icon_minitimeDecember 16th 2015, 12:52 pm

How did you say you threaded the end?
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about fixing steering   Thinking about fixing steering Icon_minitimeDecember 16th 2015, 1:32 pm

Sorry.

With a die. Need a right hand thread and a left hand thread die.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about fixing steering   Thinking about fixing steering Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking about fixing steering
Page 1 of 1