All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

forced induction?????

Go down 
+3
Doc Sprocket
donaldcon
steeldaytonas
7 posters
AuthorMessage
steeldaytonas
steeldaytonas

2016 Build-Off Entrant
2016 Build-Off Entrant

forced induction????? Empty
PostSubject: forced induction?????   forced induction????? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 5:08 pm

Anyone try any kind of forced induction (turbo, supercharge or other) I seen some on youtube but not so many I want your feeling on that
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: forced induction?????   forced induction????? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 5:13 pm

I've seen a few people talk about it here but I honestly see no good reason to do it other than the novelty factor
Back to top Go down
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP
Doc Sprocket
Site VIP

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2016
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2016

PostSubject: Re: forced induction?????   forced induction????? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2015 9:07 pm

I am in the process of turbocharging a 2 cylinder Kubota diesel for one of my machines. In this particular case, it's not novelty. Diesels benefit largely from turbocharging, and i plan on reaping those benefits. Wink
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: forced induction?????   forced induction????? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 4:57 pm

I always wanted to try building some type of supercharger, but with not so high tech equipment to work with, it would have to be a centrifugal blower. Needs to run at pretty high rpm to get usable boost, so things need to be rugged to stay together. Also, with a draw through setup (whatever it might be called, carb mounted before supercharger) you'd need some good seals on the shaft of the supercharger. Didn't come up with a good idea yet as far as making one out of what I have. I think really if you wanted to get much extra power out of either a supercharged or turbo setup, you'd need some heavier duty internals. Otherwise, you might just as easily gain the same small amount with a different cam or something.
Back to top Go down
donaldcon
donaldcon

PostSubject: Re: forced induction?????   forced induction????? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 5:14 pm

I can't fathem what kind of power a fella needs that a 22hp vtwin or similar engine can't give you on a lawn tractor.

A stock 22hp would run circles around a boosted single cylinder I Would think, and if you truly need a turbo on a vtwin then you are doing something serious.
Back to top Go down
redlinemotorsportts
redlinemotorsportts

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: forced induction?????   forced induction????? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 5:33 pm

offroadohio wrote:
I can't fathem what kind of power a fella needs that a 22hp vtwin or similar engine can't give you on a lawn tractor.

A stock 22hp would run circles around a boosted single cylinder I Would think, and if you truly need a turbo on a vtwin then you are doing something serious.

I totally agree. If for some odd reason they do make racing parts for mower engines too! Parts out there to make more hp than youll ever need.

My logic is 20+ hp is more than enough. beat on that engine and if it blows, find another for under $100, or in my case $30.
Back to top Go down
redzz02
Site VIP
redzz02
Site VIP

500+ Posts
500+ Posts
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2021 Winner of Winners
2021 Winner of Winners
1st Place Build-Off 2015
1st Place Winner Build-Off 2015
1st Place Build-Off 2017
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2017
1st Place Build-Off 2018
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2018

PostSubject: Re: forced induction?????   forced induction????? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 17, 2015 7:40 pm

if i ever get my hands on one i will be turboing a 18 hp intek, and will be putting it on a racing/drift mower for plans of a video in 2016, my reason is trying to get as much power to spin my slicks so i can attempt to smoke the tires, basically attemting to build a drift missle out of a mower
Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: forced induction?????   forced induction????? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 18, 2015 1:51 am

mr.modified wrote:
I always wanted to try building some type of supercharger, but with not so high tech equipment to work with, it would have to be a centrifugal blower. Needs to run at pretty high rpm to get usable boost, so things need to be rugged to stay together. Also, with a draw through setup (whatever it might be called, carb mounted before supercharger) you'd need some good seals on the shaft of the supercharger. Didn't come up with a good idea yet as far as making one out of what I have. I think really if you wanted to get much extra power out of either a supercharged or turbo setup, you'd need some heavier duty internals. Otherwise, you might just as easily gain the same small amount with a different cam or something.

Every now and then I think about making a blower, yah probably a centrifugal one but a roots type would be more funner. Seals and bearings would be from an automotive water pump. Those seals are basically a pressure relief valve and can handle up to 50 psi new. Roots type would be easier to make boost with less rpm. The bearing would be a big waterpump bearing measuring 1.5 inch on the race. Keep the bearing outside of the housing to control heat in the bearing and shouldn't have to run an oil line to it. An o-ring seal would just wear out too fast. Might be long but reliable.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: forced induction?????   forced induction????? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

forced induction?????
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum :: Technical Forum :: Engine Tech :: General Engine Tech-
Jump to: