All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one? Empty
PostSubject: What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one?   What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one? Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2011, 9:06 pm

So today I was taking 2 mower decks to the guys down the road and I decreased the throttle and smelled some smoke and then saw some smoke coming out of the muffler. Now every time I rev it up then rev down smoke comes out of the muffler. Anyone thinking what I am? Bad piston rings? I have not filled the oil in months but I have been doing some serious offroading... So whats cheaper and easier. Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one...?

What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one? Dfg

its this mower Evil or Very Mad Sad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/CRUSHEMCustoms/
arild365
arild365

What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one? Empty
PostSubject: Re: What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one?   What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one? Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2011, 9:12 pm

Awwwwww fuck! that sucks man! Id say just get some rings online for cheap and just put em in. defenetly cheaper then a new engine. Is it a 12 hp briggs? they dont got the best set up. Mine smokes too. but it hasnt been too much of a problem, I just keep an eye on the oil level
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one?   What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one? Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2011, 9:27 pm

14hp I/C I already had a person email me that wants to sell me a replacement motor for 200. affraid lol! I got the lawnmower for FREE.. I put on there that I was looking to spend less than 50$ on a motor... lol Craigslist I ment..
Back to top Go down
NZHproduction
NZHproduction

PostSubject: Re: What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one?   What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one? Icon_minitimeApril 15th 2011, 9:36 pm

on my snapper i have a 12hp briggs and i think it needs new piston rings cause it smokes a little. but i just try and make sure the oil doesn't get to low.
Back to top Go down
CraftsMAN
CraftsMAN

PostSubject: Re: What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one?   What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2011, 1:06 am

I think I might just water log the motor just to see how much I can go through. I got 2 motors coming hopefully both twin 16 and 18 hp.. for 100./....
Back to top Go down
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one?   What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one? Icon_minitimeApril 16th 2011, 7:32 am

Id swap motors - and save the rebuild for later as a spare motor- could be anything from rings to valve seals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one?   What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What's cheaper and easier, Replacing the rings or replacing the motor with a new one?
Page 1 of 1