All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?

Go down 
+9
moremorelawnmowers
cumminsbayou
canadianromper
Mower Man Blake
MSteele323
arild365
dangeroustoys56
Jamus
noledroByrreK
13 posters
AuthorMessage
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Empty
PostSubject: Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2011, 9:18 pm

So my friend today said i could make my tractor street legal by adding a SMV triangle to the back. im pretty sure to qualify for SMV it has to be able to do at least 25 and mine does that easy.

i did some research and not finding much i decided to ask here. all i saw was people talkin about huge farm tractors and stuff

i think i saw one of those triangle on the back of arid's tractor. is that just for saftey or do you have that on there to make it street legal?

obviously i would never drive it on major roads with stoplights and whatnot but i have family who live in my neighbhorhood and it would be fun to actually have it street legal. my mom also really does not like me riding my tractor because of the fact thats its not street legal.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/noledroByrreK?feature=mhum
noledroByrreK
noledroByrreK

PostSubject: Re: Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitimeJune 1st 2011, 11:22 pm

and actually it says it has to have a top speed of no more than 25mph. so any of our tractors could do it.

technically mine goes faster than 25 but i doubt a cop will clock me before pullin me over.. lol
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/noledroByrreK?feature=mhum
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitimeJune 2nd 2011, 12:43 am

Gotta check your states laws. I know here that people are very confused on the matter and the law lets a lot slide. That being said, the actual law, for my area, is that no ATV or other type vehicle is allowed on a road with painted lines. This doesn't stop ATVs and dirt bikes from ripping down the road without a helmet on. Then there's the "farm use" angle which people think means they can drive locally as long as they write "farm use" on the doors. I was curious and looked it up, it only applies if you own property on both sides of the road. As for the orange triangles and tractors, it's not legal here, but it still happens. There are a lot of laws, and a lot gets overlooked. Just because someone thinks it's legal won't hold up in court. Again, just a warning since I've heard rumors and gossip about all types of way to get things on the road legally. I investigated every aspect when trying to get a lifted truck legal here.
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member
dangeroustoys56
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2011, 12:58 am

No way, no shape or form lawntractors are street legal - ive driven my stock mowers down the side of the street in the ditch to get to another house, my ' 92 white LT12 has a reflective triangle from MTD on the back of the seat - its still not street legal. Its not to say that ive seen plain stock mowers run up and down the road either here - but they go only 5mph.

Down here this a law that atv's can travel on dirt roads only no faster then 30mph - the strange thing about down here is alot of older people own golf karts - ive seen them drive down main roads with them , thru shopping plazas, even sidewalks - most those werent street legal , BUT they can be made to be liscenced tho . Ive alos seen my share of minibikes, go karts , atvs run up and down the road as well.

I can see riding down the side and 'ocassional' run down a street to get to a freinds house - but it isnt all cracked up to be that way - when i took my murray down my side street ( had to do a couple 'test' runs) - i had to constantly watch for vehicles and duck off the road - its just not safe- specially on open highways or busy roads - imagine getting hit by a semi or car doing over 60mph? Might as well just shovel whats left into a wood box- specially not wearing a helmit.

Ive been close to getting hit just crossing the road by my parents house on my minbike ( people haul arse up and down that road- its long and straight) .

And yes- ive been pulled over by the police before on my murray- i wasnt even driving fast either - probably my helmit gave me away - the officer was pretty cool about it tho , i mentioned i just wanted to test drive it and open it up because i was tinkering with it - few things going for me were that i have a drivers liscence , im older , lived close by and i wasnt doing donuts or anything down main street ( he said he arrested some guy on an ATV doing that- because he was drunk) - since it was a side road , he didnt really say that i couldnt, he just didnt reccomend it . I take a low speed run in the grass down the road first and check when i do 'test ' runs now.

If you plan on trying it - just be prepared for the consequnces if you either get in an accident or get busted by an officer ......

Back to top Go down
arild365
arild365

PostSubject: Re: Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2011, 10:37 am

I Have a Triangle on my tractor and ive driven her in town and nobody cared. I take her to parades and all that shit. As long as you stick to the shoulder of the road, Are clearly visible and arnt Doing burnouts and arnt loud as hell they dont care. Ive drivin in the middle of the day on a busy street.

It also depends on what town your in and shit too.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/arild365
MSteele323

PostSubject: Re: Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitimeJune 3rd 2011, 5:43 pm

I have the Arkansas motor vehicle rules and regulations handbook ( from i took a reserve officer class) It states in AR any slow moving vehicle to be operated on public streets must have a SMV triangle to the back of vehicle . i was fuzzy on this so i called the state police and they said that a lawn tractor is considered farm machinery. The officer stated that riding lawnmowers fall under that loophole where I live.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/msteele323?feature=mhw5

PostSubject: Re: Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitimeJune 22nd 2011, 9:59 pm

technically mine goes faster than 25 but i doubt a cop will clock me before pullin me over.. lol
WOW Items WOW Gear
Tera Account
Cheap Tera Gold
Back to top Go down
Jamus
Established Member
Jamus
Established Member

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitimeJune 22nd 2011, 11:46 pm

chengliu wrote:
WOW Items WOW Gear
Tera Account
Cheap Tera Gold

Good job, your spamming of this forum almost resembled a legitimate post for a second. Can some ban this jerk already?
Back to top Go down
http://www.rcbashers.com
Mower Man Blake
Mower Man Blake

PostSubject: streel legal mowers   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitimeJune 23rd 2011, 10:25 pm

noledroByrreK wrote:
and actually it says it has to have a top speed of no more than 25mph. so any of our tractors could do it.

I was clocked at 55 om my craftsman so i can say im street legal
Back to top Go down
http://smallengineadvicefordummies.com
canadianromper
canadianromper

PostSubject: Re: Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2011, 7:07 pm

iv never had a problem with going down the road on my lawn tractor. iv had the police pass me and they just smile and wave.but it is a better idea to have a triange on the back if you are going to be on the road alot. im gging to be getting one for mine cause i am going to be doing alot more road driving to my pappas farm during the summer and winter to help him out
Back to top Go down
cumminsbayou
cumminsbayou

2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitimeNovember 30th 2011, 9:24 pm

Very Happy i ride stuff like that all the time here in alabama a cop passed me one day i was on my 4 wheeler and it was a paved road and stopped and all he said was i have to ride it on the side of the road
Back to top Go down
moremorelawnmowers
moremorelawnmowers

PostSubject: Re: Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitimeOctober 9th 2012, 9:03 am

I drive down the road all the time on my yard machine. I have the stock head lights and some farm tractor lights, taillights, and a triangle on the back. I can do 24 so I guess I qualify for the speed limit. I live on a busy highway but i just ride down the shoulder. I've had a few cops pass me but i dont think they even saw me. The farthest ive gone was 8 miles away to pick up some parts tractors. I have never taken mine to the city though. Maybe some day. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/moremorelawnmowers?feature=mhee
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitimeOctober 10th 2012, 7:05 am

in Ohio the 25 mph is the fastest you are allowed to go with a triangle. You can go 2 mph and still be legal. Lawnmowers are farm equipment. some of the newer farm stuff goes 45, but no one cares.
Back to top Go down
truckin42
Veteran Member
truckin42
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!
2014 Build-Off Entrant
2014 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2013, 8:56 am

2MPH my mower does 7-10 mph so i think im legel to drive on the road with a SMV sign.
Back to top Go down
Stretch44875
Administrator
Stretch44875
Administrator

500+ Posts
500+ Posts

PostSubject: Re: Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2013, 10:12 am

Just remember, every state is different. Check laws for where you live.
Back to top Go down
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member
Thunderdivine
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2013, 10:54 am

Here they are not legal, we need lights, beacons and this sign.

Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? D794237C-367A-4A32-B65F-6E9C0C942B47-40238-00000C5F387DA982_zps54c94a0a

But nobody cares if you drive it out of town on the roads.

Back to top Go down
dked41
dked41

PostSubject: Re: Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitimeApril 19th 2013, 12:35 pm

The SMV triangle does not make it a legal street vehicle, it allows you to use a roadway to transport from one place to another. The idea is, most farm equiptment is too large to easily trailer from point to point. Your local laws and enforcement officers will dictate what is acceptable in your area. Lawn tractors do fall under farm equiptment loopholes in most areas. But tractors, both large and small, do not qualify as street vehicles for legal transportation. Here in Wisconsin, lawn tractors can't be registered as ATV's to legally use trails either.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?   Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Will a Slow Moving Vehicle sign make my mower street legal?
Page 1 of 1