All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All-Terrain Lawn Tractor Forum

Like riding lawn tractors through mud, woods, rocks, and snow? Then this is the place for you! Share your ideas, Post your projects and more!

PortalHomeSite RulesEventsFAQSearchRegisterLog inBuild-Off

Homebrew HiPo ignition

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Ranchrodder

Homebrew HiPo ignition Empty
PostSubject: Homebrew HiPo ignition   Homebrew HiPo ignition Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2017, 1:34 am

I have long wondered about the possibility of using alternate ignition setups on small engines. I see the cheap cdi kits for GY6 and similar scooters and wonder, could they be made to work? Or could a system like the older ford duraspark, GM HEI, or a mopar box work?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't the stock electronic ignitions on these engines simple magnetic triggered coils? Stock ford duraspark distributors use a simple pickup module that could be easily mounted in place of a stock coil, and it could signal the module to fire the coil or coils as the magnets on the flywheel pass.

You could technically run an MSD style box that would give you multispark, and even run a rev limiter so it'd keep you below 3600rpm.

Am I on to something? I want to hear what y'all think.
Back to top Go down
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member
CraftsmanQuad19
Veteran Member

2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2018 Build-Off Entrant
2019 Build-Off Finalist
2019 Build-Off Finalist

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew HiPo ignition   Homebrew HiPo ignition Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2017, 9:34 am

I've heard of people using GM coils on Onan twins because those factory coils are ridiculously expensive. Not too hard of a conversion it seems...
Back to top Go down
Ranchrodder

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew HiPo ignition   Homebrew HiPo ignition Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2017, 4:49 pm

Gotta love paying for a name. Lol

Back to top Go down
prancstaman
Veteran Member
prancstaman
Veteran Member

1000+ Posts
1000+ Posts!

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew HiPo ignition   Homebrew HiPo ignition Icon_minitimeSeptember 14th 2017, 11:43 pm

Yes, You can adapt the automotive ignition setups on these small engines. Just need to have a trigger for them. Just using the magnet on the flywheel might not work unless you modify it somehow to be smaller. The setups for HEI, you need a pinpoint trigger, not a big magnet. I think the main reason for not using HEI on these motors is because you need an external power source that can supply a heavy amp draw, like 10 to 15 amps constantly to just run the motor. There are spark boxes styled like an automotive setup for these motors already. and are OK priced too.
Back to top Go down
mr.modified
Veteran Member
mr.modified
Veteran Member

2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2015 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2016 Build-Off Top 3 Winner
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2018 Build-Off Finalist
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2022 Build-Off Entrant
2500+ Posts
2500+ Posts!
1st Place Build-Off 2014
1st Place Build-Off Winner 2014
2023 Build-Off Entrant
2023 Build-Off Entrant

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew HiPo ignition   Homebrew HiPo ignition Icon_minitimeSeptember 15th 2017, 9:39 pm

I think they even have kits for small engines that you can get. I'm not really into anything electrical much so all I have is a very basic understanding of ignition systems really, but I have heard of kits out there. Which of course work the same as prancstaman just said, only they give you all the pieces and some instructions.
Back to top Go down
Hillbilly Homer
Hillbilly Homer

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew HiPo ignition   Homebrew HiPo ignition Icon_minitimeMay 29th 2018, 9:54 pm

Very Happy ...i just seen this... Very Happy

Thars a man (Brian Miller) in Columbia Missouri that sells parts to do this and he has a nice website to show how its dun...Very Happy
P.S. all off the shelf!
Brian Miller's Garden Tractor Pulling Tips & Tricks!  <---<< Link
Homebrew HiPo ignition Ignhei
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Homebrew HiPo ignition   Homebrew HiPo ignition Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Homebrew HiPo ignition
Page 1 of 1